Stihl vs. Husky

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fun_chopper

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
I have been running an old dangerous Stihl 041AV (untill now) I nearly took my leg off after a vicious kickback on a steep mountain slope. I Wanted something that would be as durable as Tiny (041AV). I looked at Huskys, and noted that they are plastic shells, like the consumer Stihls.My questions for you devout Husky guys, have you ever broken or destroyed a Husky due to a tumble down a hill (the saw, not you!).I purcahced a Stihl 036 Pro due to proportionate size, weight, and performance of the saw compared to my 041. I have aolways been curious about Husky, so does anyone have a good comparison, or information that may make me regret buying a new Stihl?

Hi fun_chopper, welcome to Arboristsite. I wouldn`t want to make you regret buying a Stihl. To each his own. Sometimes we get a little goofy and slam each other around here, but saw choice can be as personal as your preference in the opposite sex. All that plastic on the Huskies helps make a lighter saw, and a more durable saw to boot. The Pro Huskies are metal where it counts, down in the crankcase area, but the plastic will generally hold up to the bumps, knocks and scratches better than the metal covers of the Stihls. The plastic is resilient and of course aluminum and magnesium are not. The plastic Husky parts are also cheaper if you do destroy one. I know from experience that if you do crunch a saw with plastic covers hard enough to smash it, a metal saw would have been at least as bad off. I think that Stihl is the only holdout in saw manufacturers who still uses alot of metal in the outer cases. I`d be willing to bet that it is because of perception to buyers if the truth were known. You`ve got a pretty good saw in the 036 in my opinion, now try out a pro Husky sometime. The 357 would be a good comparison. Russ

PR Skills

Very nice Jokers, holding back on slamming the Stihls. Let me tell ya my story, (while I can stil type). When I was about 14, I helped a neighbor cut down a huge old gum that had been killet by lightning. All of the branches had fallen except for the big boys. He ripped that Stihl to life and he cut that tree down, then we began the split w/ wedge and maul. In all my life sense I, have never took a gum. That tree spewed water every hammer. all weekend. Well needless to say, when I could afford a chainsaw it would be a Stihl, because it worked hard that whole weekend. When it came time for me to by my first saw, I found this site. (Just like Forrests' mom said, you don't no what your gonna get.) Well, I don't know wether that was a good thing or bad thing, but I did find you could shop a Husky. Accept it right now or not boys...get used to it. (Stihltech), I know you will have issues with this post...Anyway, I ended up buying a Husky 357 xp from John Walker. At the time, I shopped, a Stihl 036, around the dealers in my region. These dealers are Hardware store owners and the like. The best dealer I found, when I stated which saw I wanted, said...036, about the biggest saw Stihl makes. In the meantime, A new hiree where I work had a Husky 55 that he let let me borroww for a weekend. I'm sorry, I'm tired of typing now, gonna go get a drink. If this post has confused you in any way... well...welcome to ABS.com

stihl

AAAAHHHH!!!!!
OK better now.
The plastic (space age polymer!) is good stuff. Stihl gave up mag casting at the plant in favor of plastic molding. Very durable and a lot cheaper to make. They sent out some plastic handle bars fo 066, could not break the. Pissed off the loggers so much they cut them in 2. Cant get them away from them metal is better mindset. So Stihl won't make any for now. Good for me, I like selling handlebars.

Hey Stihltech, the new 260 Pro that I just sent to Dennis has a plastic handlebar and I like it. Seems like it would be tough as nails. Also seems to dampen vibes a bit, but maybe that`s just an illusion. I first used a plastic bar on the Husky 345 and it is nice, I wish they had put them on the 346xp also. If I ever crunch the 346 it will be getting a plastic bar from the 345 if it fits. Russ

yeah, this is kind of like the "plastic gun" (ie. glock, sig etc...) vs. the "old metal" (1911's etc). Both have their place. No plastic in the crankcase please, but please gimme plastic all around so I dont have to carry a 25# saw around all day.:p

please tolerate my lack of knowledge.
but ive heard mention of plastic in the crankcase before. somebody please tell me thats a joke.theres no real saw with that rite .:confused: :)

I like the plastic it cut's down on the weight alot especially when you run saw's for a living day in day out :D

Later Rob.......

Plastic crankcase is a mis-nomer. When a saw is said to have a metal case it means that the crankcase is at least two pieces and supports the crank independently from the cylinder. Also a metal crancase is large enough to be other parts of the saw like the bottom, possibly the fuel and oil tanks. When we say plastic crankcase we mean a saw that has only an "oil pan" for lack of a better term. These engines split at the crankshaft seals and will not supppurt the crank if the cylinder is removed. This "modular" engine is bolted into a plastic housing that serves the function of a conventional crancase.

WOW!

Very good turnout on this thread. I have no regrets about Stihl, in fact I come from a long line of Stihl owning people, but the thing that made me have to ask is my two brothers and I went out cutting recently, and you couldn't find a more diverse group of chainsaw owners among brothers. I am the oldest and a runt among them 6'1 215lbs. I own a Stih 036 Pro, my little brother 6'4" 240 bought a new Husky 362xp, and my "baby" brother (6'3" 220lbs) has a fairly new Echo CS-670. All the above saws are comparable probably because it’s a good size to use in the steep, rocky, loose, and dangerous terrain in Colorado and New Mexico. We swapped saw and talked "smack" about each others saws, but I think (biased opinion) that my Stihl performed better at altitude, it was faster under load, and a lot lighter and more controllable. My brothers Husky was a good saw but the chain tensioner really upset me (as I almost fell trying to adjust) but the saw seemed to bog down easily and really ran poorly at altitude (10,000 ft or so). My other brothers Echo was a loud screaming monster until it encountered wood, I think he could have done better with a misery whip! I just wanted to hear what you all had to say, and I think the consensus is Husky. Thanks for your replies!

Your altitude experiences are probably 'tuning' (carb adjustment) related-not necessarily an accurate representation of the saws' capabilities. I own and like all 3 brands (but none of the models you are comparing).

Composite Crankcase

Hey rupedoggy and Sedanman, I was just perusing the Solo website and found out that the 651SP has a composite crankcase. Click the link for the 651P and read the description. In it you will see a reference to the SP and the use of a composite crankcase. Everybody is getting in on it. Russ

Stihl 029/031/039 plastic crankcase, and I think the 017/021/025 also
Husky has 350 and below with plastic crankcase, except for 346 and 335.

Back