Stihl with fuel line hole drilled out by previous owner. Now it leaks. Any fix for this?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

777funk

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
I have an 028 that the Prev Owner decided to drill out the hole where the gas line goes through. Now it's too big and leaks gas like crazy. Any ideas on how to fix it?

Mabe another make of fuel line may work. Or mabe make a gromet from a peice of rubber to fit holevthen drill hole in grommet and put new line in. I jyst did that on a saw a while back.

Sent from my SGH-I747M using Tapatalk

find a grommet the correct size for the fuel line hose and the hole. Make sure they are as tight as possible.

Either use a grommet, or you could potentially "sleeve" your current fuel line with an inner diameter matching your current outer (if the new line OD would match up with your hole).
I dont know what the stock size hole is, but you could always epoxy the hole and re-drill.. since you dont have anything to lose.

Clean it with alcohol and fill the entire hole with marine epoxy. Prob need 2 applications. Drill fuel line hole to proper size. Clean millings out of fuel tank. Insert fuel line.
The only thing that will adversely affect an epoxy repair would be sunshine and that won't apply to that location.

Does the 028 have a small straight line? (If so it has a smaller grommet). The answer may help me give another type of fix.

Not sure but the guy drilled about a 1/2" hole (sloppily and not completely round). I would say the grommet (part of the fuel line) is about 1/32" too loose of a fit. It should be hard to work into the hole and require a tool to work into place. I can put it into there with my fingers. The irregularity of the hole is probably part of why it leaks. I wrapped the grommet (built into the Stihl fuel line) with a piece of latex glove and it's now a slow drip leak instead of a fast spill. It'd be nice to fix it more properly though

Metal handle/tank or plastic? If it's plastic then you have some options with epoxy or grommets. With a metal tank you can install a metal barb for tubing like on the old Pioneer saws.
Metal-Panel-Mount-Bulkheads.jpg

I have an 028 that the Prev Owner decided to drill out the hole where the gas line goes through. Now it's too big and leaks gas like crazy. Any ideas on how to fix it?

The previous owner may have drilled out the hole to accommodate an "upgraded" fuel pickup hose. Before you do anything drastic check out the new style fuel hose for the 026/260. I believe it was a longer hose which would actually reach to the bottom of the tank whereas the original would not. What you are looking for is a saw that has a fuel hose 10mm grommet instead of the original 8mm. The part number for the 10mm 026/260 fuel line is 1121-358-7700. Someone else may be able to point you to another alternative from a larger saw.

Latest posts

Back