Stihl woodboss 28 brake and oiler problems

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ba_50

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
When I put this thing back together the brake handle is too far back and won't work. Can you tell bme how to correct it? The oiler quit working so I took the pump off and blew it out with an air compressor. Hopefully that will fix it. How does this pump work? Thanks.

Attachments

• IMG_1203.JPG
    IMG_1203.JPG
    388.9 KB · Views: 57
  • IMG_1204.JPG
    IMG_1204.JPG
    425.8 KB · Views: 53
The upper tang that attaches to the brake handle should be down in the V-notch. See picture attached. As far as the oiler, do you have the gears installed and engaged prior to installing the side cover? I seem to remember there's a snap-ring that needs to be installed on the clutch drum gear to keep it in proper position.

Attachments

• 028WB BrakeI.JPG
    028WB BrakeI.JPG
    132.9 KB · Views: 47
  • 038 Clutch.GIF
    038 Clutch.GIF
    23.4 KB · Views: 38
The upper tang that attaches to the brake handle should be down in the V-notch. See picture attached. As far as the oiler, do you have the gears installed and engaged prior to installing the side cover? I seem to remember there's a snap-ring that needs to be installed on the clutch drum gear to keep it in proper position.

Got the brake handle position fixed with a screwdriver, an easy fix.

The oiler still doesn't work. It must operate off of vacuum pressure since it is off to one side? I will check #7 gear again.

Yes there is oil in the reservoir. I noticed oil coming out of the sprocket area so I took the plate back off. Looks like oil sitting at the bottom of clutch area. Maybe it needs a new gasket.

You said that you blew out the pump with compressed air. Did you check that the infeed hose from the tank didn't get forced off of the pump inside the resevoir? Check the hose for blockage as well?

No, and I'm not sure how to check that. Does a hose connect to the pump or does the oil go through the holes at the base?

I think I found the answer. There is supposed to be a sprocket on the oil pump post and mine is missing. At least that is what another photo shows.

You are missing the oil pump wormgear tried locating a part number for you but couldn't just look up online it's real cheap a lot come with new plastic gear that sits on the clutch drum

I got one through amazon and the saw is up and running. Next problem is that I can't turn the idle down far enough for the chain to quit turning. I think I tried adjusting the low speed needle sometime back and didn't work.

There's the throttle stop screw too, loosen that one, if you haven't.

If that doesn't bring the idle down you should check for leaks in the intake boot, etc.

What's an intake boot? I put one new crankshaft seal in even though it didn't look like it was leaking.

Ti connects the carb to the crankcase.. it's a rubber boot, they sometimes crack.. I haven't looked at my 028 closely in a while, I think it may be held on one end with a hose clamp.

Yep it's attached to the cylinder with the hose clamp. While ur in there check impulse line also make sure all nuts are snug on the crank case and if you can check the p/c I had same issue mine was crank seals replaced after running the saw for a day it blew up I didn't check the p/c and I'm guessing I also had a bad piston ring due to the saw running poorly and now I have to do a top end overhaul on my 028 super

I had it apart once and I don't believe there was any hose clamp/tube in the cylinder. What is the impulse line. Thanks.

The hose clamp is what connects the boot to the outer part of the cylinder if there is not one then you should deff get one could be your air leak. And you want to check in the cylinder for scoring and make sure the piston and ring are good. I didn't check mine and my air leak caused my piston ring to go bad and because I didn't check this I destroyed the top end I have to replace cylinder and all... ohh and the impulse line is located right next to the boot it's the small skinny rubber line. Give me a few and I'll post some pics

The blue circle is where the boot attaches to the cylinder where there should be a hose clamp as you see in pic and small hose with the yellow circle is the impulse line

Attachments

• 2015-10-30 15.52.35.jpg
    2015-10-30 15.52.35.jpg
    593.2 KB · Views: 12
I sprayed both wd-40 and carb cleaner around the boot and cylinder and it never speeded up while running so it doesn't look like an air leak. Kept fussing with the low speed needle and throttle screw but just couldn't get it to keep running or it went to fast.

Back