stihlms460 replacing bearings...tools?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

newworld

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
ms460.

when i had the starter cover off and clutch drum off, i tested for play. i thought i felt a slight movement on the flywheel side. so i decided to replace bearings and split the case.

i took off the flywheel nut and now i redid the play test on both sides. the clutch side does not move at all. i also removed the ignition coil. i tried for play on the flywheel and it wont budge.....am i imagining something here i also removed the top end jug.

i couldnt swear by it but i dont think i can feel play now on the flywheel....

now of course i dont have the splitting tools to split the case....

ms460.

when i had the starter cover off and clutch drum off, i tested for play. i thought i felt a slight movement on the flywheel side. so i decided to replace bearings and split the case.

i took off the flywheel nut and now i redid the play test on both sides. the clutch side does not move at all. i also removed the ignition coil. i tried for play on the flywheel and it wont budge.....am i imagining something here i also removed the top end jug.

i couldnt swear by it but i dont think i can feel play now on the flywheel....

now of course i dont have the splitting tools to split the case....
Welcome
I dont know what the saw have because i am not there. but if you think that must change the bearings do it. for the splitting tools that you dont have , in your case and if the saw is good i go to a dealer , but if you want to open the saw , you can do this.
after you pull out clutch and everything else heat the saw with a heat air gun , very good about 200 celsium, then put on again an old cluth if you have, then put on the clutch a long socket 19 mm, hold the case and start to hit the socket, this help the case to open specialy the heat, then put of the old clutch and carefully continue to hit the shaft, use a piece of wood to protect for damage.
i hope i help you, good luck

Do a vac test on the case. If the bearings are loose the crank seals will be worn and leak

Latest posts

Back