Strapping Logs

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Don't strap it or try to restrain it - just let it dry.
You can even stand the wood on its end, gently leaning against a wall.
As a a test, I left some slabs leaning against a tree for about 6 months.
No problems.

Bout 1 1/2 years ago originally posted this thread with problems concerning movement of Chinese Elm slabs. I was advised to leave the remaining whole logs and mill out in a few years. Well today I got a chance to do some milling of the remaining logs. One was full of cracks probably due to the different tensions within as a branch was out to the side. Another was pretty good and in comparison to the moisture content when originally milled it now seems fairly dry, time will tell as to how much more stable it is now. First lot was cut at 35mm (1 inch) this lot are at 40mm (1 37/64 inch). The dark spots are canola.

20150328_161349.jpg 20150328_161356.jpg 20150328_161339.jpg

\

However, It can be continually tightened as the pack dries.
With strapping, if method 2 is used, shallow wedges can be packed under the two short packers and be hammered in to tighten the pack.

Or you can cut the banding, re-tension and crimp it back again. We used tons of that stuff in the military for packaging explosives to warehouse (what I did)

Fly yer Google-earth airplane to 40 o 28’ 17” N. ; 124o 05’ 58” W. see 1000s BF clear heart redwood (much of it quarter-sawn) stacked and stickered and air-drying before being planed and shaped into very valuable product; yes, they still cut old-growth remnants into such treasure. They use just the weight of the stack to manage differential shrinkage

I tried, but can't figure out the latt + long on google maps or is it strictly google earth?

Back