straw and manure

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hello yooper: Feeding cattle round bales during winter, the cows leave a mess around the feed rings. I push it all up in a pile. That's mud, manure, and what's left of the grass hay. I let it set through all the spring rains, and turn it over in the summertime. Slow process, but it makes rich black dirt. for the garden.

Hello yooper: Feeding cattle round bales during winter, the cows leave a mess around the feed rings. I push it all up in a pile. That's mud, manure, and what's left of the grass hay. I let it set through all the spring rains, and turn it over in the summertime. Slow process, but it makes rich black dirt. for the garden.
So I can just let it get snowed then. Little farm that I drop woodchips at brought it for me. I look forward to adding it to my garden. Been probably fifteen years since I have added any.

covering will help prevent a lot of nutrients from leaching from it yoop. cover it right after a rain while it is wet to help speed up the composting process.
That's what I was kinda worried about. I have it sitting on a bed of wood chips that will also go into the garden.

Attachments

• WP_20160923_17_56_05_Pro.jpg
    WP_20160923_17_56_05_Pro.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 15
I've heard you can pour a bottle of cola on the pile and it will get the bacteria going faster, but I don't know if that's so or not.

left over sodas are good for a compost. Beer to for that fact. What you are doing is adding sugar to help the Bacteria develop and multiply. I use plain table sugar. Cheap and easy to scatter. And really promotes Bacteria growth.

Do the same thing here. I have several people that come every spring and get me to load their pickups or trailers for their gardens with the old piles that have already rotted down.

This is one of the rotted down piles that Sagetown described in post no. 2. It makes real nice black dirt for gardens.

Attachments

• garden 004.JPG
    garden 004.JPG
    1 MB · Views: 15

Latest posts

Back