Stuck Chipper Knife Anvil Removal Method

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jtc16

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
Anyone have any tips on removing the anvil that is holding the knives in? On the knives on the left/right side I can hammer a chisel underneath it and pop it up but can't do that on the middle ones

Attachments

• IMG_20170506_095713455_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20170506_095713455_HDR.jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 29
  • IMG_20170506_095707822_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20170506_095707822_HDR.jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 25
Here is a pic of a pair of vice grips on the anvil with a biner getting pulled by a 5000lb winch, wood blocks under the back of the chipper so it didn't drop, hitch attached to the truck so it didn't raise and still couldn't pull the anvils out. guessing I'm screwed

Attachments

• IMG_20170506_140827912_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20170506_140827912_HDR.jpg
    2.5 MB · Views: 19
Keep the tension on the anvil and hook a heavy slide hammer to it. Sometimes the shock combined with the tension helps.

Is that a Mitts and Merrill chipper?

This is kind of hard to explain but
If you look inside the bolt holes on the anvil there should be threads in the anvil where a hollow insert threads in, when you back the bolts out from the drum they press against these threaded inserts and force the anvil out.

There is no reason to remove these so I'm not sure why yours doesn't have them.

They thread in using an allen wrench but it is much bigger than the allen wrench used to remove the bolts so that way you can put the allen wrench right through them to remove the bolts.

Actually looking at your pictures I can see in the first picture that the outter bolt hole has the insert in that I am talking about.

Actually looking at your pictures I can see in the first picture that the outter bolt hole has the insert in that I am talking about.

They all had that insert at the start. 4 out of 9 were stripped so I took them all out. I took a big dewalt dremel and ground out the 4 that were stripped and that included all 3 middle knives, so if that's the only way to get them out I may be screwed.

Slide hammer. Has a hook or jaws on the end of a 2 foot long rod. The rod has a 4-5lb weight that slides to the end of the rod. The impact shocks the part you're pulling on. Body men use a lighter version to pull dents.

Back