Stump grinder options and mini skids

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WolverineMarine

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
I'm looking into getting something like a bandit 35hp stumper and renting a tracked mini skid like a dingo with the intention of buying one later when I can afford it to help me clean up chip debris and do possible remediation work to bring in backfill dirt etc. I tried the vermeer this spring and wasn't impressed with the controls. Thoughts?

I have a 37 hp Vermeer 372 and a 25hp toro dingo. They live on a 16' 10,000 lb equipment trailer that goes behind the Dodge dump with a switch and go body. Perfect set up for stumps. Two guys go out, one preps ahead one grinds, then when the prepper is done he cleans up behind, either putting the grindings in the woods or in the switch and go body on the ground. Sometimes we come in with a load of topsoil and dress off the stumps with that, go back with the grindings.

Mike

We have a 37 hp Bandit stumper, a rake, pitchfork, wheelbarrow and blower. Many times we don't have to haul the mulch. Rake and blow into a neat pile. When we do have to haul mulch, we bid accordingly.

The reason why I'm just interested in renting a dingo instead of buying right now is bc I'm certain based on previous experience not every customer will need the chips cleaned up or be willing to pay for the additional expense for remediation. I'm pretty sure if I did get a few jobs that did I could just rent the machine and do them all in one day etc. instead of spreading it out and needing to rent the machine multiple times.

I sub all of my stumps out and make a cleanup day out of a few of them at a time with my dingo and 16' low pro dump trailer. I charge at least as much to haul the grindings as the stump grinding itself cost and I can use the dingo and BMG every day on tree jobs.

I won't get back into doing full service tree work as I hurt my back pretty bad last year and don't have the startup capital anymore. If I can do stumps and possibly some brush cleanup down the road with a chipper etc.. that would be my best case scenario but I definitely follow on the dump trailer idea. Ty!

Any thinking towards a mini with a grinder attachment? That would perhaps eliminate the need for two pieces of equipment. I personally haven't used on but I'm thinking of it with my mini. My rep at Ditch Witch says they are the bmb but of course, he's a rep. From what I've heard, hydro flow is the big factor in whether or not the grinder will work well.

Flow rate is a big thing with those. Ever look at a 38 special? It's a mini attachment stump grinder with an engine that runs the wheel. Elevation, sweep, forward are run by the mini

Yeah I've never personally run one, but it seems like that is the only one worth owning for a mini mounted grinder. Everything else seems to work like a heavy duty weed wacker for stumps. But for $12,000 I'm sure the OP can find a much better suited unit within his budget since he doesn't already own a mini.

I'm pretty happy with my quick attach. $4,500 brand new. It's not a $40,000 stump grinder, but I've gotten through some hogs with it.

I do like the idea of having different attachments for a mini, but IME a dedicated stump grinder is only way to go. I used to own a Rayco 1625 super junior and I made a LOT of money with it but it was horribly under sized when I got into something over say 24-30". While the mini is a possible option in the future, the stump grinder is designed specifically for stumps and the demands and abuse that entails, not to mention the limited visibility an attachment allows which when you're in tight quarters and close to possible utility lines, that's not a viable option for me.

The Vermeer mini skid is awesome! I think my bosses would pick up my friends dingo and walk off with it. Semper Fidelis devil dog!

Back