Stump grinder teeth sharpening

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cupocoffee

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
I am interested in finding someone to professionally sharpen my stump grinder teeth. I have a Carlton SP 7015 with the Razor wheel. New teeth are $15 each. Carlton will sharpen for $4.75 but they send them out and I would have to pay shipping to Carlton, I would pay shipping to and from the sharpener, and then I would pay shipping back to me. So, you can see, there is a lot just tied up in shipping four different times. Even with all the shipping costs, it will save quite a bit if I pay Carlton to job this out. Who knows a good tooth sharpener. I don't want to sharpen the teeth myself.

Monroe Rapid edge in Monroe MI. There is a AS member called Blades and I know he sharpens.
I bought a diamond wheel do my own it cost me $164 and I have over 200 yellow jacket sharpened with it and the wheel still looks new. The wheel has paid for itself over and over. Just sayin.

Monroe Rapid edge in Monroe MI. There is a AS member called Blades and I know he sharpens.
I bought a diamond wheel do my own it cost me $164 and I have over 200 yellow jacket sharpened with it and the wheel still looks new. The wheel has paid for itself over and over. Just sayin.

Thank you, I'll check into both of these.

I second that! wear a mask and have a fan blowing the dust away from you! Diamond wheel is the way to go. learn how and youll never have to rely on anyone again, saving you tuns of money! I think I have had my 1100 series Greenteeth now for 2 years same teeth sharpened 3 times over still going. I might have broke 2 but it's amazing what you save in time and money.

I think lots of people don't like to sharpen their own teeth because they use those green wheels. A diamond wheel makes quick work of carbide.

CBN wheel works for both carbide and the steel ( not a green silicon carbide wheel), diamond only good for the carbide portion. Cost is similar to diamond or slightly higher. Haven't checked prices lately.

hey blades, I have a CBN wheel for sharpening my lathe tools. It says not to use a CBN wheel on anything but high speed steel. Not sure it should be used for sharpening stump grinder bits. I use a diamond wheel to sharpen my carbide stump grinder bits. (greenteeth)

what is your guys setup to sharpen these? I uses rayco super teeth. What diamond wheel and what do you put it on ? I need to get a setup and learn thanks

I worked as a tool grinder all through high school. We did a lot of carbide tools from blanks making form tools. It wouldn't be to hard to replace the carbide in stump grinder teeth instead of buying new teeth. We did all carbide grinding with diamond wheels. Used diamond cup wheels for sharping the tools. Diamond wheels are expensive but last a long time. I saw a little machine at harbor freight that would be perfect I think, just exchange the wheel for a diamond one.

I've posted many times on here about this but here you go again
I also have a 7015 a fenominal cutter I have the new river wheel but the cutting tips are basically the same.
DO NOT WASTE YOUR TIME CONTINUOUSLY REPACING/REMOVING THE TEETH!
Here's what you need
- A 4.5 grinder I like the rechargeable grinder like the DeWalt and 5 batteries if I tune the teeth up every night after 8 or so hours of grinding it takes 3.5 batteries if they are really rounded it takes 5
- a green diamond wheel with a cutting surface that's about 1/2 inch wide I've seen them for sale on eBay or from Gabdon industries
- a particulate mask
- eye protection
It is best to sharpen with the teeth still in the wheel because they are held fast and you can apply good pressure to them
TIPS
It is best to only sharpen the face of the tooth once you have the surface flat again make your edge by lightly grinding the top surface
after you have sharpened the teeth 8-10 times they will start to badly round the corners so what I do is tip the wheel so I cut downward and make a 45 on the rounded edge in the same plane as the circumstance of the disk
I generally get 30-40 sharpenings on my teeth before they are worn out or break off
I've been using the same green wheel on my DeWalt grinder for 2.5 years and I will probably replace it this year
I grind ~ 8-10,000 stumps a year with my Carlton I used to spend $2-3000 per year in new teeth now that I have been sharpening them on the machine I don't go through $500 .... Just a little time.
It usually takes me 45-50 mins to sharpen all my teeth.
Another tip is start using the Long shorts on your leading teeth it will dramatically reduce your wear on the wheel the pockets and the side holders!

I hope this helps

I tried a bench green wheel to sharpen my sandvick teeth. Maybe it was the wrong wheel, Idk but the green wheel didn't want to cut the carbide worth a crap. My little 4" diamond wheel works.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk

2treeornot2tree

Stick with the diamond wheel as the longevity lasts a lot longer than a green wheel. From my experience a diamond wheel should do about 500 re-sharpenings or more.

Hope this helps!

Dave
Global Equipment Exporters

Global is on the north outskirts of Atlanta. I don't know if they have the wheels for sale or not

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk

The green wheel is made of Silicon carbide! .... Synthetic diamond! I have used mine for 4 years I just swapped to a new wheel last week my new river disk gets 36 of the teeth sharpened every other night I would safely say that I have sharpened over 12,000 teeth with the wheel and it cost me 80 dollars
Pretty worth it I'd say
Diamond is good to it just costs more and I can't speak to how long they last

Back