Stump grinding - how to bid a job

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Depends on what kind of grinder u own. If u have a powerful machine u can go by the inch. Anything under 60hp I would go on per stump basis. I charge $2-3 per inch with a $75 min. Stumps over 36 inches are bid per stump. Extra $50 for difficult access.

Around my area it's hard to get the bid on a stump. Most are 12"-42" and there are people that will bid them at $30-$60. They must be using a siphon to get their fuel. They will drive 20+ miles to do them at those insane rates. Maybe they still live with mom too.

$200 - $300 per machine hr for a midsized machine (30 - 40 hp), more $ per machine hour for a bigger faster machine but, it takes less time so, it works out. Jobs with many stumps, you could go as low as $175 per machine hr or less to be competitive.

I have a standard price of $50 for my eco friendly, no damage, no noise, monety back if it doesnt work, stump removal system.

They sign the contract, give me the $50 in advance and I hand them a little slip of paper that reads "wait 150 years"

you can borrow it if you like, but I want a cut.

Next weeks top hint-homemade explosives, the smart arborists best friend.

Agreed.

It maybe is a good reference or starting point if you are starting out and have no idea on how long something will take.. but even at that you would need to have a chart with charges changing as diameter increases and if deciduous or conifer... unless you want to spend a lot of time not getting any money when doing a large oak tree.

But once you get to know job.. then you can pretty much do better pricing other ways than by the inch.

I do have one in office that is a wall chart for quick reference.. but doubt a single job last year was actually quoted or billed that would match chart exactly.

I'd love a copy of that chart if you can possibly send it. Even a photo of it would be helpful if it's too big to scan.

Shaun

I charge 1.50 an inch for most stumps. But Thats only when I am doing the stump and not the tree. Even at that price I make over 200 an hr with a 252. I use this pricing for phone quotes so I dont have to go out and look at them. to remove grinings and topsoil usually cost more than the grind by about 50%

I have a standard price of $50 for my eco friendly, no damage, no noise, monety back if it doesnt work, stump removal system.

They sign the contract, give me the $50 in advance and I hand them a little slip of paper that reads "wait 150 years"

you can borrow it if you like, but I want a cut.

Have you ever made $50 on this one :)

Next weeks top hint-homemade explosives, the smart arborists best friend.

Can't wait :) Lots of potential here:
Root compaction or root aeration : less costly than air spade and faster.
Might even make something like a wedge or a HiJacker tree jack unnecessary.

But when you post next week.. I want pics of the uses so we can have a real learning exercise :)

We try to average $200.00 an hour with our Carlton 4012 with a 44HP Kubota but it's hard to bid against some these brown boys running around my neck of the woods with an old worn out 630 Vermeer and grinding just about any size stump for $75.00. Of course they only grind them one inch deep.

We try to average $200.00 an hour with our Carlton 4012 with a 44HP Kubota but it's hard to bid against some these brown boys running around my neck of the woods with an old worn out 630 Vermeer and grinding just about any size stump for $75.00. Of course they only grind them one inch deep.

Hmm.. any size for $75.00.. if only one you won't get me to drive up to site and unload for less than $100.00.

Now if there are say 3 smaller stumps at same location.. maybe softer wood (pine as example).. then I have done them I guess for $75 per stump.. all things considered.

But on other hand only takes a few minutes to do each one..

Hmm.. any size for $75.00.. if only one you won't get me to drive up to site and unload for less than $100.00.

Now if there are say 3 smaller stumps at same location.. maybe softer wood (pine as example).. then I have done them I guess for $75 per stump.. all things considered.

But on other hand only takes a few minutes to do each one..

I know where you are coming from but we have a real problem going on down here and no help in sight. There is one bunch that calls themselves "El Lobo Service" or something like that. I see them around here all the time. They did a stump last week for $60.00 I wouldn't have touched for less than $300.00. The Lobo boys made their way into Pizza Hut last summer when me and some of my guys were having lunch there and it was apparent they can't afford deodorant with those cheap stump prices. Man those jokers were stinking.

$20 an inch!!!!!!

SHOW ME HOW TO GET TO THAT STREET JUST ONCE!!!!! Too many posts to quote. havent been on in a few days, how in the hell do you guys get that? Must be in rock city. And a ? for the other first posters, how do you bid by the hour? I always found that bidding stumps by the inch was the easiest aspect of tree work to bid. I do have a width and depth formula tho. And I always go by flare root, never cut . $100. minimum unless its right down the road, or theres multiple stumps, or if Im already there. Thats if its just a stump, if im cutting down the tree that of course changes things. How can a you take a truck and machine anywhere these days for less than that unless your an idiot? teach me ? Im a quick learner, am I doing something wrong?

$/inch seems like a ludicrous way to calculate stump grinding costs. The area of a stump increases dramatically with diameter, square inches sounds like a more sensible way to go about it (or maybe even cubic inches!). Cubic inches would factor in how deep you are going to go with it. Attached for interest is a spreadsheet I just banged up. On the left column are stump diameters, and across the top on the first row the effective cost per square inch to grind. Second row is $/inch of diameter.

Where it gets a bit tricky is that I used the $/inch rating for a 12" stump (hence 12" is green line) to work out what you are getting per square inch for a stump this size, then took that figure (which is in the first row) and worked out how much you ought to charge for every size stump. The results are a bit shocking (!)

Shaun

View attachment 177871

Too many things to consider to go by the inch. How many surface roots to chase, hardness of wood, how deep they want it, where it is and how hard to get to it, do I have to move stuff outta the way?
I think 150-200 per hr is reasonable for a mid size machine like a 35 to 50 hp. A large diesel should be able to turn twice that amount in an hr. If not you're just wasting your time and giving it away for free when you figure the cost of the machine, insurance, licensing, maintenance, etc.
It won't take you long before you know how long a job will take just from a quick look.
And if you're grinding in my area without a license I'll squeal on ya. I'm sick of these morons doing a job for half what its worth.

stump $$

As a tree company, grinding the stump of a tree that we have removed just completes the "service". I charge for stump grinding but it's not were I make my money. $50 for 12-14" stumps, $100 14-24", etc. I do not do just straight stump grinding jobs.

As a tree company, grinding the stump of a tree that we have removed just completes the "service". I charge for stump grinding but it's not were I make my money. $50 for 12-14" stumps, $100 14-24", etc. I do not do just straight stump grinding jobs.

Well you can do a straight stump job and make money from it if you charge right. I did $720.00 worth today in just under two hours.

While stumping for me started as a "value added" service to sell more tree jobs as a package deal it actually turned into a decent revenue stream. I charge out the ass for it 'cause I hate it, but when my machine is out there I'm making loot. The last one I did got me $650 for 2.5 hours with a 35 horse machine and a yota. No clean up.

Dang Man! Have yota will travel, holy hell making the loot!

I'm afraid to pull mine behind the yota don't have the brake hook-up. Did a couple stumps today, one was a 32" white birch. Tore it up in an hour.

Latest posts

Back