Stump grinding question

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi everyone, I'm a new member here and would like to ask for some insight from some other people who operate their own stump grinding business. I've read through countless threads on the subject and decided to start my own. I'm 22 years old and have my own part time stump grinding business, so naturally I'm just getting started. My father owned his own tree company and sawmill, and when I was about 18 he offered me the stump grinding side of his work. He had a Rayco 1625 sj that was in need of some work. So I rebuilt/restored it and got it going. Unfortunately, two days after the first job I did with it, my dad passed away unexpectedly. After having to sell out his business, I decided to keep the grinder and try to continue on my own. But because of the loss of my dad, I also lost what would have been my main source of work. I'm learning that it is pretty difficult to build up a steady amount of work from outside sources. What I'm asking is what other people who operate a stump grinding business did or do to keep steady work flow.
So far I have made business cards and I try to hand them out or leave them where ever I can. I have a Craigslist ad also, and I have shirts or uniforms with name, logo, and phone # that myself and my worker where to look as proffessional as possible. I'm fully insured as well. I've tried emailing local landscape companies asking if they have any interest in offering subcontract work or referrals to me, and I have no problem giving a percentage back for referrals. So far not much luck there. I recently have gotten 2 local tree companies that offered to give me any stump work, and 1 landscape company. What is the best and most proffesional way of asking other businesses to refer you? Or does anyone have better ways of obtaining work? My goal is to build enough business up to be able to upgrade from my 1625 up to a Carlton 7015, and be able to takle basically any reasonable size job around here and be productive. I live in southeastern Mass so there isn't many giant sized trees, but some are a bit much for my little 1625. I just can't justify the expense of the bigger machine if I haven't established the work for it yet. Any input would be much appreciated, and sorry for such a long post.
I don't really have anymore advise than what's been given, or you've come up with on your own, but I did want to say I'm sorry for losing your father. Judging by your great approach to challenges by seeking advise and trying overcome obstacles, your father was an exceptional man, that obviously showed you a great example. Best regards!! John 5:28,29

Latest posts

Back