Stumps......still seasonal?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fivestartrees

Reaction score
For you stump grinding vets in four season climates....are stump jobs just as seasonal as tree/ landscaping work?

They grind 'em year-round here. There are so many grinders around here doing it for cheap that I gave up on the idea of buying a machine of my own.

Tree work is seasonal here. Many of the tree guys hang Christmas lights and plow snow in the winter. Or go on vacation till spring.

Some work after winter wind storms, but that's really feast or famine depending on the year.

I'm sure it depends on area "winter" in Florida is pretty much summer here.

if theres not too much snow and the ground is good and frozen (battled that this year), i will take trees down. if the ice on the lakes is thick enough, ill do some lake jobs too where we dump the trees on the ice and drag them off that way. i wait till spring to do my stumps. it seems the frozen dirt takes the life out of the stump grinder teeth too much. plus my dirt pile is frozen and most people want every stump cleaned and filled so that has to wait anyway. easier to do it in the spring when tree work is slow anyway due to muddy yards

if theres not too much snow and the ground is good and frozen (battled that this year), i will take trees down. if the ice on the lakes is thick enough, ill do some lake jobs too where we dump the trees on the ice and drag them off that way. i wait till spring to do my stumps. it seems the frozen dirt takes the life out of the stump grinder teeth too much. plus my dirt pile is frozen and most people want every stump cleaned and filled so that has to wait anyway. easier to do it in the spring when tree work is slow anyway due to muddy yards
Mud season is the worst time to do stumps, lol

Sent from my SM-G900T using Tapatalk

Better than burying the bucket truck and chipper
Leave them on the street? Plywood? Or do jobs with no equipment access?

Idk man our company does anything anytime our customers don't care they all want it done yesterday, except the cheap ones who schedule for winter for a 10% discount.

If I can get the winter work, I'll take it. Sucks though when you have a bad chest cold.

I hear yeah! I'm currently dealing with pnemonia. I about had to stop and catch my breath just from starting my saw this morning (we cut tree length in 1/2 to fit on tge firewood processors)
And if course it ended up being a "walked 5 miles" day too.

Mud season is the worst time to do stumps, lol

2 years ago I delivered 4 cords to a customer. First 2 no issue dumping in his backyard, it was still froze solid. Second load 2 weeks later, I didn't even get my steers off his driveway and the truck was on the frame. Frost was out of the ground just enough. Top 4-5" was dry as a bone, then it was goop.

He pulled me out with his 1 ton diesel, and just barely!

I was upset about the ruts I made, I offered to haul topsoil and fix it, but he was completely fine with taking care of it. He's bought 2 cords each year since actually.

I do stumps all year round...rain..snow...or shine. Toughest part is loading back up into my trailer when its icy out.

Latest posts

Back