Sub contracting, being the sub contractee

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Up until now I have been doing this logging thing sorta hit and miss, now I'm looking to go more on than off, still keeping the day job but looking to expand and get more steady work. So my question is if I where to contract with another logging outfit local to me, say pick up some of their smaller less profitable jobs, or just work side by side with their equipment (as in contracting to skid logs or cut), what are some things to watch out for, shady dealing etc. And am I better off going it alone, finding work I can do by myself.

I wouldn't mind sub contracting out and letting someone else run the show, as long as I get paid I'll be happy. Just worried about getting burned...

Up until now I have been doing this logging thing sorta hit and miss, now I'm looking to go more on than off, still keeping the day job but looking to expand and get more steady work. So my question is if I where to contract with another logging outfit local to me, say pick up some of their smaller less profitable jobs, or just work side by side with their equipment (as in contracting to skid logs or cut), what are some things to watch out for, shady dealing etc. And am I better off going it alone, finding work I can do by myself.

I wouldn't mind sub contracting out and letting someone else run the show, as long as I get paid I'll be happy. Just worried about getting burned...

Initially I just wanted to get hired on as a faller. I called around and called around. Nothin. So then I started calling mills asking if they were in need of a logger. Nearly everyone I talked to told me there was a lack of loggers in the area. So I bought a machine and started cutting. From what everyone has said in your neck of the woods there are more loggers than trees, but it wouldn't hurt to call around to the mills. They may have some smaller jobs that could be profitable to you that bigger operations won't touch. Also I quit my job and went all in. I've heard of several guys trying to start up around here part time while keeping their regulars jobs and they went under within a few months. I really think you have to go all in on logging. Sure I didn't make any money for the first three or four months (and I mean that literally), but I started seeing cracks of light and I'm doing fairly well now. At least taking home more than my previous job and its a job that I love. I've heard of guys subing as operators/cutters around here, but there is usually a sour story or two to tell. If you go that route try to work with the repuatable and get numbers on paper. Keep track of your logs somehow by paint or other means. I've heard they can disappear. If you find a reputable company and they are pretty straight with you and you are straight with them I'm sure it would work out.

I agree, Bitz. Subs are sad. If you are subbing for just one contractor, that usually sucks big time in spite wherever you are. It tends to become a form of bondsmanship. My advice is that keep yourself free. Work for several contractors and keep several people working on the jobs you found. Keep the flow going so you can surf on it.

I imagine he business in your country is much different than in mine. Yet one thing I think is universal. The key is to know people. Preferably all the significant players on the field. And make sure everyone has heard about you and how #### excellent job you do.

Latest posts

Back