SUCCESS!!! Just repaired Stihl 045/056 Bosch electronic ignition!!!!!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thought of something else in the maybe category. My outboards (2 cycle) all have internal gas filters located in the fuel tank. I have no clue if the Stihl uses an internal filter or not but if they do.......I would jump on that for sure. In my ouboards, the filter is attached to a rubber like hose that floats around in the fuel tank. I think if you can shake the saw without fuel, you should be able to hear it rattle.

I would also try squirting some carburetor cleaner or starting fluid into the carb while the saw is running to see if it normalizes for a couple of seconds.

I know its not a fuel issue...ive even dumped fuel down the carb and yes itll fire up but it still MISSES. One all the saws ive worked on (alot) a saw that misses always has a spark/ignition problem. Trust me i dont want to give up and pay $110 for something i know nothing about.

It is not a fuel problem, ive been back through the carb and its perfectly clean, metering lever set right, both l and h are 1 turn out which should get it running enough to fine tune. Installed a new plug wire/boot and clip still missing very bad....played with timing and got it to start a little easier but it still misses like crazy. Not sure what else to do here...in case anyone is wondering the compression is just fine...it is an ignition problem i know, just not sure what the next logical check would be.
I don't know anything about timing but did you look on the "Chain Saw Collectors Corner" site at the Stihl 056ave? It says .098" to .106" before TDC for timing. I don't even know what that means or if it helps you any. Sounds like you know way more about small engines than I do but on my 056, 1 turn out on H and L and I'd be lucky if it starts and if it did it wouldn't run any better than yours. I screwed with it for ten minutes after I got it back together and got a little frustrated, then remembered the L has to be 3/4 out and H 1-1/4. I was putting gas in the carb to start it and holding the throttle while it ran like crap and stalled immediately after letting off the throttle. After I turned the L to 3/4 it started and ran fine right away. Probably not the same issue with yours but maybe worth a try if you haven't already. The side of my saw says 1-1/4 for H and 1 turn for L but that doesn't work for my saw.

I know its not a fuel issue...ive even dumped fuel down the carb and yes itll fire up but it still MISSES. One all the saws ive worked on (alot) a saw that misses always has a spark/ignition problem. Trust me i dont want to give up and pay $110 for something i know nothing about.

Any updates??? Your feedback is important to others who may want to implement the "fix".

We'll I was only into the saw $50 total and spent WAY too much time screwing around with it, so it went on eBay as a parts saw and sold for $200. This is the first saw I've given up on and I hate the fact that I did. but i can't spend hours and hours and $$ on it like that. Still made $150 and I just bought a blown up 064 yesterday with a 32" b&c that's cherry for $180 and will be putting an 066 topend In it. Sorry my results really haven't helped.

We'll I was only into the saw $50 total and spent WAY too much time screwing around with it, so it went on eBay as a parts saw and sold for $200. This is the first saw I've given up on and I hate the fact that I did. but i can't spend hours and hours and $$ on it like that. Still made $150 and I just bought a blown up 064 yesterday with a 32" b&c that's cherry for $180 and will be putting an 066 topend In it. Sorry my results really haven't helped.

I can relate to your time spent frustration! Thank you for your prompt response!!

Foggy

Ya...I just hate giving up on something and feeling like the saw beat me lol, oh we'll can't win them all- still made money in the end so it's not all bad.

I don't know anything about timing but did you look on the "Chain Saw Collectors Corner" site at the Stihl 056ave? It says .098" to .106" before TDC for timing. I don't even know what that means or if it helps you any. Sounds like you know way more about small engines than I do but on my 056, 1 turn out on H and L and I'd be lucky if it starts and if it did it wouldn't run any better than yours. I screwed with it for ten minutes after I got it back together and got a little frustrated, then remembered the L has to be 3/4 out and H 1-1/4. I was putting gas in the carb to start it and holding the throttle while it ran like crap and stalled immediately after letting off the throttle. After I turned the L to 3/4 it started and ran fine right away. Probably not the same issue with yours but maybe worth a try if you haven't already. The side of my saw says 1-1/4 for H and 1 turn for L but that doesn't work for my saw.
It has a vacuum leak. Your seals must be worn out. Pressure and vacuum test it. Money it leaks.

It has a vacuum leak. Your seals must be worn out. Pressure and vacuum test it. Money it leaks.
Thanks for that info. I suspected that but forgot to test it last time I had it apart. Since I've had it I have to re-tune it once in a while. Then I found out the L needle was vibrating open over time. As long as I tune it back to 3/4 it runs perfect. I recently noticed that if I turn both needles all the way in, the L is a little farther out than the H. Not sure if that is normal for that carb or if the spring was replaced with a different one making the adjustment a 1/4 turn off + vibrating loose. Hopefully that is all but I'll have to check the vacuum for sure next time I get a chance. Being inexperienced with working on these things I also thought maybe the adjustments were slightly different because the cylinder looks as though it had been seized and refurbished in the past. Has scoring and heavy sanding under the ports. Still runs great and has decent power. I mill with it all the time. Does replacing the seals in an 056 require special tools? Is this a job a novice could handle fairly easily?

Not sure I'd want to cut my teeth on an 045/056 as my first seal replacement job, but plenty of folks would probably say otherwise...., and are around here to help if ya decide to go for it. As for tools, the clutch should be removed with the proper tool and the flywheel should be pulled with the correct style puller as well.

I did a total rebuild of an 045 this past winter myself. Be more than happy to forward a service manual and IPL should you decide to take the plunge.

At least your ignition works!

Not sure I'd want to cut my teeth on an 045/056 as my first seal replacement job, but plenty of folks would probably say otherwise...., and are around here to help if ya decide to go for it. As for tools, the clutch should be removed with the proper tool and the flywheel should be pulled with the correct style puller as well.

I did a total rebuild of an 045 this past winter myself. Be more than happy to forward a service manual and IPL should you decide to take the plunge.

At least your ignition works!
Thanks, my vacuum/pressure tester needs new seals so I can't test it yet. I had the flywheel off when I fixed the ignition. Not easy but I managed. I don't remember if I had the clutch off this saw yet but I usually either put a ratchet on and give good swift strike or put clean nylon rope in the cylinder instead of a piston stop. What about the seals themselves, is there a special tool to remove them and re-install new ones? Hopefully I won't need to. I've been using it for four years this way and have been pretty happy with it but I'd like to keep it in good condition. I bought a piston and cylinder for it recently but it's the 56mm and this saw is a 54mm. I hope to make it fit some day for an upgrade.

Hey I have a old Stihl 056.. I believe. Its in my picture, as its all faded I'm not entirely sure what model it is exactly but the part numbers start with 1115. But it was sitting behind the shop in the dirt for over 10 years. I recently took it into the shop to see if I could use any parts off of it.. Working on a Husqvarna 350 my Dad has a Stihl MS290 too. But I took the spark plug out and I was like what the heck! it looks brand new! it turns over just fine. I rewound the spring for the recoil started and used some WD40 and that works too. Drained and cleaned the gas tank out it wasn't too bad just really really old oily smelly crap lol. Carb doesn't look too bad not the best that is for sure but I think it might work. Thanks for your tip about the ball peen hammer and another hammer for getting the dang flywheel off, it was a life saver! I tried everything else nothing worked.. I tried that and it only took a minute. I ordered the part and of course its going to take while to get here. But hopefully it works for me too! I must admit though getting a chainsaw going that has been sitting in the dirt for 10 years is an amazing feat. The muffler is cracked but I can fix that. The compression seems to be good the cylinder is very clean I don't think it had all that many hours on it. The kill switch wire had no insulation the whole way too! So who knows the capacitor may not even be bad but I'm still gonna do your fix.

Welcome! There are many knowledgeable guys here in the forum, all willing to share their experience to help others. My fix is one that anybody can implement without technical smarts. Just take your time, follow the instructions and you will be fine.......and so will your saw.

But curious---- how did you find this thread?

Foggy

Welcome! There are many knowledgeable guys here in the forum, all willing to share their experience to help others. My fix is one that anybody can implement without technical smarts. Just take your time, follow the instructions and you will be fine.......and so will your saw.

But curious---- how did you find this thread?

Foggy

I found it when I was googling for spark problems on the 056. I actually saw your post to another thread on this site, linking this thread. And yes it is a very easy fix!

I finished soldiering the wires and such on the ignition.. got a little carried away with the glue lol

2ane3c.jpg

Looks fine! Give it a try--

Just ordered the capacitor yesterday and expected delivery date is July 16th to August 19th. So I can't test it for a while yet sadly! I had some electronics in the shop but didn't find any of the right capacitors.

Latest posts

Back