SUCCESS!!! Just repaired Stihl 045/056 Bosch electronic ignition!!!!!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Got the capacitor today and installed it in less then a hour. Put the fly wheel on without the nut then put the pull start on pulled and got spark.. pulled again no spark? Took it back apart and the kill switch wire was too close to the fly wheel on the top and it wore though the insulation and shorted the wire out on the fly wheel. Pushed the wire down put it back together and have Nice blue sparks!! This really works for pretty cheap too! Somebody give Foggysail a medal!

Rick-- thanks for the feedback! Did you have any troubles implementing the fix? Others will certainly be interested especially if they own a "dead" ignition.

Stihlx8--- SPREAD THE WORD!!! Lets see if we can put this ignition issue behind us. AND YOU WILL "GIVE" THE CAPACITOR AWAY???? He must be a good friend..........you could sell that little blue cap for $25 + : - )

Foggy
Hey Foggy: I'm a mechanic and NOT an electrician but I'm anxious to try your fix. Do you know if these capacitors will work?:
Metallized Polypropylene Film Capacitor 400V 1UF 105 105J CBB22
I found 50 of them on ebay for $9, item# 181750826560.
Thank you so very much for all your time, efforts, guidance, and mostly patience.

Hey Foggy: I'm a mechanic and NOT an electrician but I'm anxious to try your fix. Do you know if these capacitors will work?:
Metallized Polypropylene Film Capacitor 400V 1UF 105 105J CBB22
I found 50 of them on ebay for $9, item# 181750826560.
Thank you so very much for all your time, efforts, guidance, and mostly patience.

It has the right material and voltage ratings. I would give it a try even though it does not seem to be pulse rated. Capacitors are essentially two pieces of electrical conductor with an insulator sandwiched between them. There are all different types but for what we need require the insulating material to be polypropylene for various reason which is above the interests of those here.

They are constructed ether by stacking many of the sandwiches and tying the ends together so each of the sandwiches are connected in parallel. The stacking technique requires greater manufacturing effort than other methods. The other common way is to have three rolls of material, two being conductors and the other an insulator of some type and wind them together on a bobbin.

The winding method has a slight problem. The windings themselves create a coil which has an inductive value. Fine for most applications but may not be fine in pulse applications.

I would still give them a try. I long ago learned that one can philosophise the poop out of an electrical circuit only to find it works differently than the philosopher suggested. I had a plaque on my desk for young engineers who worked under my direction. It read "you cannot bull$hit the circuit." Physics always wins out.

Foggy

Hi, Foggy. You sure have helped a lot of people with your effort so far..., and I'm guessing a whole lot more as the word gets around.

Any chance you'd care to explore the possibility of a similar fix for the smaller style ignition module mentioned in the Pioneer thread over at S -A-W_ H-A-W-G-Z? (I recall you offering to dissect one of the SEM modules for a possible solution if provided with a couple.) Anyway, the "blue coil" is notorious for random and frequent failure and is like hen's teeth to find anywhere. If there's a similar fix for it as there is for the Bosch, you'd have even more new friends!

I can't post the actual link here as I'm sure it will get heavily censored or deleted, but the coil subject has recently popped up again over there on page 78 toward the bottom and I also posted a cross link back to this thread on page 80 suggesting you may be a resource for a solution to the "blue coil madness".

Great work, and nice to see more folks having success with your solution!

:cheers:

Hi, Foggy. You sure have helped a lot of people with your effort so far..., and I'm guessing a whole lot more as the word gets around.

Any chance you'd care to explore the possibility of a similar fix for the smaller style ignition module mentioned in the Pioneer thread over at S -A-W_ H-A-W-G-Z? (I recall you offering to dissect one of the SEM modules for a possible solution if provided with a couple.) Anyway, the "blue coil" is notorious for random and frequent failure and is like hen's teeth to find anywhere. If there's a similar fix for it as there is for the Bosch, you'd have even more new friends!

I can't post the actual link here as I'm sure it will get heavily censored or deleted, but the coil subject has recently popped up again over there on page 78 toward the bottom and I also posted a cross link back to this thread on page 80 suggesting you may be a resource for a solution to the "blue coil madness".

Great work, and nice to see more folks having success with your solution!

:cheers:

Earlier this year I offered to look at a Sems. Someone offered to send one during June I believe. But Summers are treasured here and I responded to that person that I would/could look at a Sems but not before the end of August. Just will not have time before then.

And thank you for offering a way for me to gain new friends, really not needed though.....That was not my intention with the Bosch fix. It was to help others even if they are not friendly : -)

Earlier this year I offered to look at a Sems. Someone offered to send one during June I believe.

That someone would be me.....The reason I've not followed this up is because there is no way I've found of opening up the SEM module as fitted to the Stihl 056 without destroying it, believe me I've tried!
The internals are completely enveloped in the same material (resin) as the outer casing. I do have another failed 056 mag SEM if you would like to have a look.

That someone would be me.....The reason I've not followed this up is because there is no way I've found of opening up the SEM module as fitted to the Stihl 056 without destroying it, believe me I've tried!
The internals are completely enveloped in the same material (resin) as the outer casing. I do have another failed 056 mag SEM if you would like to have a look.

AHHhhhhh you read these posts! OK, I'll send my address to you but expect nothing before mid-late September. If the unit is completely resistant to opening .... well then there may not be any hope but I will look at it.

Indeed I do!.......And have follow your excellent efforts from page one!:yes:

I think the SEM will be a hard nut to crack!:chop:

Likewise on the following. And I tend to agree on the SEM, but..., ya never know.

And thanks to Foggy, converting to a Bosch setup is now a solid option instead of just a tit-for-tat crap shoot between that and another SEM....which can still be had
from a dealer, but they aren't cheap....around $180 last time I checked (if I remember correctly).

I need an 056 Bosch ignition core. I'm ready to dig into my basket case and my ignition consists of a flywheel, stator plate 2 rough looking coils. Not enough there to do the foggysail repair. Does anyone have a spare they are willing to part with?

I had this thought about the 056 ignition problem. Ignitions all serve the same purpose and operate on the same principals so in theory, couldn't you get done readily available ignition and modify it to work? I feel like the recoil would be the other side of what might not let this work. I don't pretend to fully understand how ignitions work (voodoo magic perhaps) but in my mind you could find one similar, open up the center hole with the right sized tapered reamer, and then modify the coil to mount to the chassis. I know that if this was feasible, someone would have done it by now but I have scoured the interwebs and never have i found discussion about it... until now!

Joseph

I need an 056 Bosch ignition core. I'm ready to dig into my basket case and my ignition consists of a flywheel, stator plate 2 rough looking coils. Not enough there to do the foggysail repair. Does anyone have a spare they are willing to part with?

I had this thought about the 056 ignition problem. Ignitions all serve the same purpose and operate on the same principals so in theory, couldn't you get done readily available ignition and modify it to work? I feel like the recoil would be the other side of what might not let this work. I don't pretend to fully understand how ignitions work (voodoo magic perhaps) but in my mind you could find one similar, open up the center hole with the right sized tapered reamer, and then modify the coil to mount to the chassis. I know that if this was feasible, someone would have done it by now but I have scoured the interwebs and never have i found discussion about it... until now!

Joseph
newer type coils,,not the points one, may or may not, have a built in suppressor. by that, I mean, that the timing changes according to rpm...I tried this on a olympyk saw,,with a identical LOOKING coil.. no go.. the internal timing was different... new coil...wouldn't even start...nor pop..

newer type coils,,not the points one, may or may not, have a built in suppressor. by that, I mean, that the timing changes according to rpm...I tried this on a olympyk saw,,with a identical LOOKING coil.. no go.. the internal timing was different... new coil...wouldn't even start...nor pop..

Like I said, voodoo magic!

Joseph

Hey guys I recently found and put back in service an 056 super. I have not had any issues described and cut two cords of oak today with out any issues. I plan on using this for a 36" chainsaw mill.
My question would anyone suggest doing this as preventive maintenance or just work her until a problem arises? Thanks for your input

Are you going to be on deadlines to cut wood? If you're just cutting a little for yourself, I'd run it as it is, perhaps get the parts in so at least you don't need to wait for the parts.

I am just using it for my self. The plan is to build some furniture and a cabin. I will order the parts today then. Just in case.

Latest posts

Back