Sugar Maple Roots

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

popo

Reaction score
I have sugar maple that I planted about 16 years ago. I put it 17 ft from the back of the house. I now have substantial lateral root growth at and just below the ground surface. They have lifted the patio stones behind the house and are growing toward the back of the house and under the driveway, next to the house

I did some digging today, after moving all the patio stones, and found that there are two major root branches going under the driveway right next to the house. They are at surface level and go under the driveway. There do not appear to be any gowing toward the house (at least not at the 6" to 8" depth).

I am not familiar with the root system of these trees and I have a few concerns:

1 Are there likely to be roots below the level I am looking at now that will interfere with the house (i.e., go through the basement wall?)

2 Can I cut any of the roots back without damaging the tree and, if so. how far back can I cut them?

3 Do these trees depend on the lateral roots solely, or is there a tap root system as well.

Any help would be appreciated. I really don't want to lose the tree, but the roots growing in the direction of the house are becoming a problem.

Take a few minutes and search on "surface roots" or maybe "root cutting" This is a very common question.

1 Are there likely to be roots below the level I am looking at now that will interfere with the house (i.e., go through the basement wall?)

No-roots aren't strong enough to push walls.

2 Can I cut any of the roots back without damaging the tree and, if so. how far back can I cut them?

Any cutting will wound the tree. I know that someone here will give you permission to whack the roots and tell you that it doesn't hurt the tree. But it does...Will the tree die if some roots are whacked? Depends on too many variables.

3 Do these trees depend on the lateral roots solely, or is there a tap root system as well.

After the first few years no trees have a tap root. Think back to the last windstorm. Remember seeing the trees tipped over? Dinner plate root systems, no carrots poking out of the bottom. Or, go to a land clearing and look at the pile of stumps to get an idea of typical root system structure. Some of the nut trees will maintain a carrot-type tap root longer than the rest of the trees. Laterals are what support the tree and the also store lots of energy. Be VERY careful about whacking any of the roots.

Tom Dunlap said:
I know that someone here will give you permission to whack the roots and tell you that it doesn't hurt the tree. But it does...
Wouldn't be talkin bout me wouldja tom? :cool:

Root depth depends on soil--the tighter the soil the shallower the roots. Aerate, fertilize and mulch the rest of your root system now. In November you MAY be able to prune those roots without serious damage to the tree. Only a qualified arborist on site can advise you intelligently.

Post pictures here for better advice, and comb the archives here for the other 9,786 threads on surface root pruning. Check the link below for good hints on tree care.

Back