Sugar maple weekend score

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Duramax hd

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
Well I got hooked up with a tree guy thats semi in my area. Took a 40 minute ride to where had taken down and bucked up 2 huge sugar maples for me. I ended up calling a friend that didnt live to far away, and donated most of the wood to him as he helped me out with wood when I first moved in my house. Rounds were pretty big! should have taken a pic when we got there. I snapped a pic of the one load I took out with my dump truck. I gave my buddy 3 dump truck loads. Spent a few hours splitting this weekend too so I threw a pic of the pile I aquired, along with the newest load of rounds to the pile. creeping up on being 3 years ahead with some left over to sell to fund another saw!
rounds.JPGrounds 2.JPGrounds 3.JPGsplits pile.JPG

Holy Schmolee.....

That is awesome!!!!!

I wish my Sugar's looked that good.

Ok, you win! I thought my oak score was pretty impressive until I saw this. Nice!

Haha thanks fellas. Sometimes I come across some pretty sweet stuff. The home owner of this property told me to take all his split seasoned wood, as he was tired of burning it in his open fireplace, as he said he was getting Tk old, which I did a few months back, all sugar maple, and there was over 4 cords of it stacked in rows up off the ground. Probably the sweetest score I'll ever get, but I didn't post it up for fear of getting to many "you sucks". I gave a few cords to friends in need, took one cord for myself, and sold another to a friend. Life has a way of giving back sometimes so I pay it forward as much as I can!

Afraid of getting too many you sucks? Too late, the mad complimenter is loose!

You suck!
You suck!
You suck!
You suck!

there, that should hold ya!!!

Awesome wood man!

Haha thanks fellas. Sometimes I come across some pretty sweet stuff. The home owner of this property told me to take all his split seasoned wood, as he was tired of burning it in his open fireplace, as he said he was getting Tk old, which I did a few months back, all sugar maple, and there was over 4 cords of it stacked in rows up off the ground. Probably the sweetest score I'll ever get, but I didn't post it up for fear of getting to many "you sucks". I gave a few cords to friends in need, took one cord for myself, and sold another to a friend. Life has a way of giving back sometimes so I pay it forward as much as I can!

Good on you for doing that. :yes:

Sharing it with your friend is the only thing that prohibits another "you suck". Very decent of you!!thumbs up.jpg

Good on you for splitting the wood with a friend. Now get that stuff split and stacked!!

You guys are funny. Yup always like to donate my services where and when I can, and when I'm given something, I try to spread the wealth. Over my Christmas vacation, I'll be processing the rest of the rounds I have on site, putting s few neighborhood kids to work to help stack it all up, and then off to find more rounds to burry my again! Pictures to follow

Gotta love the tree guys. The only fault I have with them is they chip the best pieces. I just scored some nice oak that a new neighbor just had cut down. I wish I knew they were cutting down the trees and would've gotten my guy to do it and probably save them a ton of dough, and I would've gotten a lot more out of the deal.

They wanted to sell the leftover rounds. Its all nice oak, but its covered with ivy. Its about 6 pick up loads worth. I made them a charity offer of $100. He called me last night and accepted my offer. I'll be splitting there to try and keep as much Ivy off my property as possible. Its only 150 yards from my driveway so its money well spent. I normally won't pay for unsplit unseasoned wood. Or any wood for that matter.

Gotta love the tree guys. The only fault I have with them is they chip the best pieces. I just scored some nice oak that a new neighbor just had cut down. I wish I knew they were cutting down the trees and would've gotten my guy to do it and probably save them a ton of dough, and I would've gotten a lot more out of the deal.

They wanted to sell the leftover rounds. Its all nice oak, but its covered with ivy. Its about 6 pick up loads worth. I made them a charity offer of $100. He called me last night and accepted my offer. I'll be splitting there to try and keep as much Ivy off my property as possible. Its only 150 yards from my driveway so its money well spent. I normally won't pay for unsplit unseasoned wood. Or any wood for that matter.
I hear that man. It's funny you say that about the tree guys chipping the best stuff, as the sugar maple we hauled out, there wasn't a piece under 15". These trees were huge, and there was a lot of nice branches 6-15" that just got chipped, that we would have loved to have. I guess that's the norm though as the fee jobs I've done that were dropped by tree guys were all the same way.

As far as paying for wood, I've made some offers like that with people on craiglist that think the tree is worth thousands, and I make a charity offer of $100 like you did, and they are insulted. The aborist business is booming here in ct, and they get thousands and thousands of dollars to take a tree down, and the homeowners often don't want to pay to have it removed, and think the can recoupe some money by selling the rounds....I'm just not going to be the guy shelling out the dough for it when there is so much for the taking that's free. Now if they were going to load my truck and trailer with a machine, I might pay a few bucks for that, but I'd have to be desperate to pay more than $100 for wood that I still have to process. Good score on the oak though! I'm sure it is well worth it!

Yea I figure it would cost $100 but get some from my buddys place. The only thing I'm saving is where and tear on the equipment.

These people are new to the neighborhood. I don't know what they paid, but I know who did the work so I know they paid a lot. I told them they should've hired my guy and just left the wood lay and they could've burned the brush and I could.ve taken all the wood. They said "we're not allowed to burn in Allegheny county." I said really? And went home and burnt my brush pile. LOL

Nice score.
I love Sugar Maple. It's my favourite firewood around here.
Nice of you to help a buddy out, so for that I won't give you any more "you suck"s
But why are those rounds so short? They look like about 8-10 inches long.
Is that for reducing their weight to be able to load/unload them?

Nice score.
I love Sugar Maple. It's my favourite firewood around here.
Nice of you to help a buddy out, so for that I won't give you any more "you suck"s
But why are those rounds so short? They look like about 8-10 inches long.
Is that for reducing their weight to be able to load/unload them?
Yea sugar maple is pretty sweet firewood. As far as the rounds bring that short, let's just say the tree guy let his helper run the his big saw, and must have never seen a tape measure. The tree guy asked what length I preferee, and I said 15-18 is good. He muttered something in Spanish to his helper, and this is what I ended up with. Can't complain to much haha

Back