Suggestions for a bench chain sharpener

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm really considering the purchase of a chain grinder and would like some suggestions from those of u that own them. I haven't researched them much but I'm not interested in cheap grinders.
I've checked out an Oregon grinder that a friend has but I've never ran it.
What's out there for $300-$400? And please school me a lil on grinders.

Thanks in advance.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk
Hello there....I missed this post somehow....anyway i made the mistake of getting into grinding, (I say this because I now love it).....i got a Oregon 520, and let me say this...IF you put in the time to set it up correctly and take the time to learn how to use it, you CAN absolutely grind chains that cut as well as and out of the box brand new chain...

I was one of these guys that thought grinders were only good for rocked out chains, and that is the reason I got the grinder in the first place...well sure enough I got to using the grinder and just with a little effort I was getting chains that cut really good....well after that I thought, let's push the boundaries here and see what this thing is actually capable of....remember the grinder is only limited to the operators skill level!!!

when using the stone wheels, dress the properly and never let them get the black ring of death, keep fresh abrasive.....on down the road and depending on how fast you go threw wheels you may consider a CBN wheel, but that's another subject entirely, LOL....

Well now I have the Oregon grinder, a Stihl USG, 3-CBN wheels, an actual diamond wheel, (for carbide chains, never even used it yet), and a lot of stone wheels.....I should have listened when I was told that GAD is just as bad as CAD!!!!

Lastly, keep ol @Philbert on your good side, he is VERY knowledgeable on the grinders and VERY helpful!!!!!

Hello there....I missed this post somehow....anyway i made the mistake of getting into grinding, (I say this because I now love it).....i got a Oregon 520, and let me say this...IF you put in the time to set it up correctly and take the time to learn how to use it, you CAN absolutely grind chains that cut as well as and out of the box brand new chain...

I was one of these guys that thought grinders were only good for rocked out chains, and that is the reason I got the grinder in the first place...well sure enough I got to using the grinder and just with a little effort I was getting chains that cut really good....well after that I thought, let's push the boundaries here and see what this thing is actually capable of....remember the grinder is only limited to the operators skill level!!!

when using the stone wheels, dress the properly and never let them get the black ring of death, keep fresh abrasive.....on down the road and depending on how fast you go threw wheels you may consider a CBN wheel, but that's another subject entirely, LOL....

Well now I have the Oregon grinder, a Stihl USG, 3-CBN wheels, an actual diamond wheel, (for carbide chains, never even used it yet), and a lot of stone wheels.....I should have listened when I was told that GAD is just as bad as CAD!!!!

Lastly, keep ol @Philbert on your good side, he is VERY knowledgeable on the grinders and VERY helpful!!!!!

Generally chains out of the box suck as far as being sharpened well. I'd certainly hope a grinder can sharpen that poorly!

We bought 2 new saws and they came with Stihl safety chain. Talk about some absolute crap chain.
I've had to sharpen it 6 times already and I'm only on the 3rd tank of fuel! Just to say cut some silt or a pebble and the chain is done.

Generally chains out of the box suck as far as being sharpened well. I'd certainly hope a grinder can sharpen that poorly!

We bought 2 new saws and they came with Stihl safety chain. Talk about some absolute crap chain.
I've had to sharpen it 6 times already and I'm only on the 3rd tank of fuel! Just to say cut some silt or a pebble and the chain is done.
Sometimes.....I hear people say brand new chain out of the box is bad, not really....i deal with 95% Stihl chain and it usually cuts just fine out of the box.....yes sometimes a roll/loop can be damaged, but as with anything, problems will inevitably happen....i have seen new chains with cutters that looked like they were never sharpened from the factory....

As far as buying a new saw with safety chain, most competent dealers will gladly swap it out with a chain of your choosing....

Now as far as you having to sharpen a chain 6-times, there is definitely a problem here.....the safety chain and regular chain are made from the same material.....with the rakers and chain properly sharpened they will cut....now I know this is a little more work than some want to do, but with any kind of grinder and 5-minutes you can take the "safety" humps out of the chain....and for me personally, i would have ground the humps off to start with and never had to waste time sharpening it 5-6 more times....

If you are consistently getting roles of chain that needs sharpened before using it, I would find another source of chain, time=money....

I love it when someone hands me a Stihl safety chain and says this chain absolutely is horrible, I politely agree and take it....when they are gone I fix these chains up and cut stumps or wood that may have foreign materiel in it.....

I will take all of the unwanted safety chain anyone doesn't not want!!!
IMG_2735.JPG IMG_2736.JPG IMG_2738.JPG

Thanks for the info. I'm excited to get it setup and start using it when I get home.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Latest posts

Back