Suggestions for Milling setup for 36" maple

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jovol

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Hello tree people,
I am a budding arborist, and I recently felled my first big trees. One of them is a 35" maple tree. I'm preparing to mill it with my chainsaw mill and MS660, however I'm looking for advice on how to move the 11' logs. Right now they are sitting in a line without any gap between them, but I need some sort of gap to be able to run the chainsaw mill. I have a 48" cant hook, but I'm kinda doubting I'll be able to move the logs safely? Included is a picture of my situation.

Thanks for your advices!
John
mYuaQoV.jpg

One can spool a chain w/ 3-4 wraps coming
out with the live end on top of the log & pull
It sideways.
Or to get one end higher drive a steel fence post at
one end & chain (spooled) near the other end then pull back
onto the ramp you've built.
Like a slice of pie you're traveling
the crust.

What kind of maple is that? The leaves do not look like red, silver or sugar......

What kind of maple is that? The leaves do not look like red, silver or sugar......

Bark looks like white ash? Leaves a little like poplar?

Back to OP. What do you have for equipment?

You can drive an anchor/limb near the log and run a cable/bull rope under then back over the log . Drive another anchor on same side farther back. Connect things with a come-along and it will roll the log . Crude but it will work. Do every other log.

There's a tremendous amount of vine on the tree, I think those are the leaves you're seeing. Here are the actual leaves on the tree
Vjasaen.jpg

What does that look like to you guys?
John

Tulip poplar......the heart wood can have spectacular colors....reds... blues ....violets.....ive wanted to mill one that size on my property for a while now.....take pics when your done if you would. Thanks.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Oh bummer! I was hoping for some maple. I suppose I need to get a book on tree identification. Any that you guys can recommend?

Here's a pic of the center:
gZ825pg.jpg

Hope it's pretty when milled!
John

I suppose while I have your guys attention, can you help me ID two other trees I cut down?

Tree 1
SD7YdcT.jpg

4YmFKAL.jpg

Tree 2

wAuT3gq.jpg

h8R8Fs7.jpg

Thanks for your alls help!
John

Very nice.....that wood will weigh a ton at first but it dries really fast....probably going to want to seal the end grain quickly

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Back