Sun Exposure on Wood

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I think I know the answer, but do you feel that afternoon exposure is preferable to morning exposure for firewood racks, assuming you can only get sun from one direction?

I will take afternoon over morning sun if I had to choose one. That is for my bee hives, I would assume firewood would be the same.

In itself, afternoon sun is warmer. But if placing the pile to get that, throws of it's optimum exposure to prevailing winds, it might not be as good overall.

My prevailing winds are from the south. So as much as possible, I orient the stacks so the end of the stacks are facing south. They get early & later day sun on each side, and prevailing winds blow across both ends of the wood drawing the moisture out. And when the prevailing winds are carrying rain, it only hits the end of the stack. And top, which is covered. So doesn't get blown into the stack face.

Since wood has excellent insulating properties, I imagine it retains heat long after the sun has set.

Not really. Actually sun on a wood pile has only a minor effect on drying. The sun only hits the top and one end, and as you said wood is an excellent insulator. It just does not heat up much beyond the surface level. Air movement is the king and the last thing I look at is orientation to the sun.

IMG_20170219_161112.jpg This is how mine is setup. The wind normally comes from the south so the splits are N/S. They do get sun light most of the day also for what its worth.

Not really. Actually sun on a wood pile has only a minor effect on drying. The sun only hits the top and one end, and as you said wood is an excellent insulator. It just does not heat up much beyond the surface level. Air movement is the king and the last thing I look at is orientation to the sun.
I have to respectfully disagree. In full sun with little wind I can fully dry split wood (oak not included) in two months. In another location, with much more wind but little sun it takes two full summers to dry wood out.

View attachment 559263 This is how mine is setup. The wind normally comes from the south so the splits are N/S. They do get sun light most of the day also for what its worth.
That's similar to my main area. I have stacks lined up north-south and we get west wind plus the stacks are far enough apart that they get full sun exposure and it works fantastic.

Reason for the OP is I'm moving one of my other piles and it's a compromise between carrying distance and sun exposure. Thinking since I'm already ahead on wood production I'm better having the wood close by.

The stuff on the full racks is seasoned close to 2 years I'll use it next winter. The stuff on the one that's just started I just stacked today. There's other stuff on racks that don't get much sun never thought to see if there's a difference l.

In Kansas you can season oak east to west under the shade of hedge row in 1 year
Wind trumps all here

And I stack in cords or 2/3 cord segments
Or it will blow over a single rick

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Since wood has excellent insulating properties, I imagine it retains heat long after the sun has set.

From personal experience. I can tell you wood does hold heat.
The morning after a hot day, I can feel the heat in the wood when I split rounds that sat in the sun the day before.

I have to respectfully disagree. In full sun with little wind I can fully dry split wood (oak not included) in two months. In another location, with much more wind but little sun it takes two full summers to dry wood out.
I agree.
I cut split and sell wood year round. Wood does hold heat for a long time.
A lot of times when I split in the summer, I do it early in the morning when it's cooler.
I can feel the heat coming out of the rounds when I split them the next day.
So the answer is yes, wood does absorb and hold heat.
I agree sun is better then wind, though both are better together.

Add me to the list of those who say wood does hold a lot of heat. When the day temps get into the upper 90's and low 100's, I tend to split at night and those logs are still almost hot inside past midnight.
I don't know what is better though, early day or late day sun. If the sun is out, my wood is in it.

Add me to the list of those who say wood does hold a lot of heat. When the day temps get into the upper 90's and low 100's, I tend to split at night and those logs are still almost hot inside past midnight.
I don't know what is better though, early day or late day sun. If the sun is out, my wood is in it.

Yep, that heat and steam coming from a fresh split tells the story.
Changing topic.
To save space I put a row of wood down my wood fence line. It's also shaded most of the time. I even put a plywood cover on top to keep the direct rain off.
There is plenty of wind in that spot but even with a lot of wind it didn't take long for the fungus and rot to set in.
Also I have discovered that a steel rack vs. a wood rack, (including the cover you use) makes a big difference in how long it takes to season.
Wood will season faster on steel racks vs. wood racks.
At least that's what I have experienced.

I like to get the sun on in the mornings. It seems to get any dew or residual moisture dried faster so it doesn't soak in. But, I don't worry too much about my piles as they are all up on a big sand flat and that sand seems to radiate a lot of heat on to the piles.

Back