Super EZ

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I spoke too soon about the piston and cylinder I found in the box, the piston was scarred up and the rings were stuck but it sure was clean. So I'm calling it quits after the 5th one. Most of the other parts I have left aren't really good enough to put on a saw that would be functional.

Okay, I now have four working saws out of that box and I gave another one to my wife's cousin, making a total of 5. I just about have enough parts for a 6th one but it will be rather rough except I did fine a new piston and cylinder to put in it. I will have to hunt for yet another carburetor and use a points coil and a chip for the ignition. Something to think about...
On my last one I tried a low profile 3/8 chain and a modified Poulan bar and it seems to be perfect on these EZ saws. I always thought the regular 3/8 chain was too much for these little saws...

Did you change the EZ OEM sprocket for using the LP chain and what kind of mods did you have to make to the Poulan bar?
Reason I ask is I have a EZ saw that does not have a bar and I have two new 3/8 LP chains (59DL) for a 16 inch bar.
I read somewhere that the LP type chains (also called picco) should not be used on a EZ that has a roller tip bar due to the little bit of difference in the drive links shape. I can see little bit of difference in the shape of the drive links on the LP chains vs the OEM 3/8 chains and I think maybe I seen where a standard SPUR sprocket may wear out sooner running a LP chain.
I installed one of the new LP chains onto one of my EZ's that has a standard 3/8 sprocket and roller tip bar and all looked and felt ok spinning the chain by hand and but I did not try running or cutting with the LP chain is why I ask if you changed the spur sprocket. (I also seen in a forum here that a LP rim sprocket is made little bit different)

I had ordered these two new 59DL chains on-line some time ago advertised as for a EZ and when they arrived they were the LP type.

Here is one of the threads where I seen some info about using LP vs regular 3/8 drive link and chain swap info info. (there is other info using a search)
http://www.arboristsite.com/community/threads/3-8-lp-vs-3-8.102067/

and little bit of info from Baileys here
http://www.baileysonline.com/Chainsaw-Chain/Chainsaw-Chain-3-8-Lo-Pro/

I have not checked the LP chains for use on my Homelite XL or super 2'.

I do prefer standard size 3/8 chain on my ez's for a aggressive cut. (in soft green wood)

Did you change the EZ OEM sprocket for using the LP chain and what kind of mods did you have to make to the Poulan bar?
Reason I ask is I have a EZ saw that does not have a bar and I have two new 3/8 LP chains (59DL) for a 16 inch bar.
I read somewhere that the LP type chains (also called picco) should not be used on a EZ that has a roller tip bar due to the little bit of difference in the drive links shape. I can see little bit of difference in the shape of the drive links on the LP chains vs the OEM 3/8 chains and I think maybe I seen where a standard SPUR sprocket may wear out sooner running a LP chain.
I installed one of the new LP chains onto one of my EZ's that has a standard 3/8 sprocket and roller tip bar and all looked and felt ok spinning the chain by hand and but I did not try running or cutting with the LP chain is why I ask if you changed the spur sprocket. (I also seen in a forum here that a LP rim sprocket is made little bit different)

I had ordered these two new 59DL chains on-line some time ago advertised as for a EZ and when they arrived they were the LP type.

Here is one of the threads where I seen some info about using LP vs regular 3/8 drive link and chain swap info info. (there is other info using a search)
http://www.arboristsite.com/community/threads/3-8-lp-vs-3-8.102067/

and little bit of info from Baileys here
http://www.baileysonline.com/Chainsaw-Chain/Chainsaw-Chain-3-8-Lo-Pro/

I have not checked the LP chains for use on my Homelite XL or super 2'.

I do prefer standard size 3/8 chain on my ez's for a aggressive cut. (in soft green wood)

I did not use an EZ bar on the last one, I used a later model Poulan 16" bar like they have on the 2375 Wild Thing. It oils just fine without mods but I had to take a small chainsaw file and elongate the mounting holes to accommodate the EZ saws long flat adjuster. It's possible to file some of the adjuster off instead but I figured it might be better to just make the hole a little wider. I used the standard back sprocket and it seems to work just fine. I've had a touch of the flu but in a few days I plan to cut a bit of wood with it and see if it does as well as some other saws that I've used the LP on..
Mine has the standard spur sprocket but one of my other saws has a rim sprocket and I might just do a swap to see if the rim works any better..

The rims notch spacing are slightly different for the LP chains, I think. I think I seen a difference in a pic that a guy posted in a thread warning about such. in a thread. Might want to stay with the spur for the lp chain. The lp rim might even have a stamp4ed LP in the casting. One of my EZ saws that is running a standard 3/8 chain has a rim sprocket with a solid nose bar that someone has installed.. I did not try hand testing a LP chain on it though to see if it felt smooth. If you inspect real close by eye you can see the slight different in the shape of the LP DL's. The spacing is same it's the shape of the bottom tang.

I'll keep a eye out for a solid nose Poulan bar.

I have an XL-1 which is a budget EZ with no manual oiler or decomp. I modified a little Remington roller nose bar and have 3/8 rim drive sprocket on it. I did some reading and several of the carvers use the LP set up. Apparently it beats the drive links up some on the LP chains over time but that was the only issue mentioned. I can't speak for a sprocket nose bar but I think the Wild Thing bar is a great idea.
I agree that the EZ's are great in green wood but they do chatter quite a bit in dry hardwood with the standard 3/8 pitch chain.

I haven't cut any wood with it yet but may try it out this week.

The rims notch spacing are slightly different for the LP chains, I think. I think I seen a difference in a pic that a guy posted in a thread warning about such. in a thread. Might want to stay with the spur for the lp chain. The lp rim might even have a stamp4ed LP in the casting. One of my EZ saws that is running a standard 3/8 chain has a rim sprocket with a solid nose bar that someone has installed.. I did not try hand testing a LP chain on it though to see if it felt smooth. If you inspect real close by eye you can see the slight different in the shape of the LP DL's. The spacing is same it's the shape of the bottom tang.

I'll keep a eye out for a solid nose Poulan bar.
Those Wild Thing bars are already LP so you can use a sprocket tip bar just fine.
Another thing I did, although I don't advertise it much, my last saw I put together I was running out of good handle grips for the rear so I made my own with some of that flex seal like they advertise on TV. It ain't as pretty but it's better than nothing. Had to use a lot of masking tape though that spray gets on everything...

See ya got a test log.
I have a pine log about 30 ft long and 20 inch or so dia that I skidded close by and is really handy for testing saws in the cut.

I've got one that looks about like yours in the pic that needs a 16 inch bar. (have couple new 59DL LP chains)
and I've got couple or three EZ's that really look beat up but run like the energizer bunny.

One of my EZ's is around 41 years old and looks almost new with all the OEM manuals and receipt that I bought new in 1976.
A guy gave me EZ sometime later and I just never took the new EZ out much.

Good little saws.

I have a few new original 16" bars for the EZ and Super EZ Homelite saws. Probably a few used bars also.
chainsawlady

If you are you should go for a visit. She worked on Homelites at their saw shop for 50 years. I'll bet the guys would have freaked if they saw her fixing their saw back in the '50's and '60's. She a wealth of Homelite knowledge. I wish I lived closer.

She might be close to you. She's west of Cincinnati.

Back