super split dealer locator?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

absrio

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
does anyone know of any super split dealers and/or a locator? I searched but couldn't find anything. I called super split but they said they don't have a locator and he didn't know of any dealers in the midwest. or should I just order factory direct?

I just watched part of the first video. . . I had to stop watching as I felt I was gonna get seasick looking at that rickety thing wimbly whambly wobbling as the operator wrestled with partially split logs just dumping them off the end of the flimsy table. . . call me the tortoise, but I will take the smoothness of a Cross hydraulic valve. . . as it lifts 300lbs of rounds to be split with an autocycle valve. . . but to each his own.

WoodTick007:
You are right about the video.
I have never used an auto cycle valve, and would love to try one sometimes...
My first impression of auto split valves is that they would be great. No so anymore. Running average size rounds, like I do on the SS, an auto split valve would be nice and a time saver. Larger rounds on the Timberwolf occasionally catch on the front edge of the out feed table. Now I watch for that. An auto split valve would have probably tore the out feed table off by now.
A log lift: that there will spoil you very quickly...
After three years with an SSHD I do it a little different than he does in the video for the most part. Sometimes you do get a bad split and initially have to wrestle the bigger rounds it a bit.
When splitting big rounds I set one half aside on the wood pile to clear the table, and split the second half. (I do the same thing on the Timberwolf, setting half rounds out of the way on the log lift) Or, I tip the half furthest from me up on end and out of the way, and split the half closest to me. Sometimes, if there are more than four splits per half, there may not be room for that.
My biggest criticism of the video is safety.
He often has his fingers cupped over the end of the piece he is splitting when he is splitting. I think his fingers should be on top of the piece or grasping the side of the piece until the wood begins to engage the wedge. The reason being the round may not track straight into the wedge. It may cock sideways because of a knot, or a deformity or uneven cut on the push plate end. It is simply a poor, unforgiving habit to place fingers there.
I am a fan, and owner, of both types of splitter. If I can lift the rounds on the table, my choice is kinetic because it has a table for re-splitting, and the working height of that table is more comfortable for my long lean back.

There is a dealer basically the same area as the factory. I searched for a dealer when I was purchasing my SSHD. I can't remember exactly how far away the dealer was from the factory but it was close enough that if you were in that area you might as well go to the factory instead. I wish they had dealers. I would've liked to see one before I ordered mine. Even better would be a dealer that had one in stock so I wouldn't have to wait 4 weeks for mine to be delivered.

He was at the Paul Bunyan show this year in the firewood processing contest ,he did alright. Not as good as he should of.

Latest posts

Back