Sure is quiet in here....do I need to start a fight?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Went from 22 at 4am to 16 at 8:30am ! WTF is going on here ? Pose to get warmer when the sun comes out !
Cold Nov.! Coldest one I can remember since '79. Starting to go thru some wood!!
Jimmy haven't forgotten about you!! Haven't seen the Old Man to ask him about the Gravely parts, but I'm sure there's no problem there! Had the flu but am finally feeling better!
Brought wood in everyday with the flu! Ain't fun!

Yep probably a little bumpy....be playin time and tide against each other...trying to be in what small sweet spot that may develop......going alone so will be able to time it right......all these yrs the wife has not been able/willing to grasp the notion of having to be at certain places at certain times to coincide with tide change..........will know what I'm up against before I get to Trial Point.......gotta try out my new Gimbal bearing and bellows!!!!!

First thing I can remember, really, is that time n tide wait for no man. That was drilled into me from the time I could talk. Living on and off the sea our food source and transportation highway, the tides played a large roll in my life, the wind direction, changing of the wind, types of cloud in the sky, color of sunrise and sunset played a major part in my life. There was hardly a thing more important to us than the tides and the weather.

Have a safe trip ,old son!

Cold Nov.! Coldest one I can remember since '79. Starting to go thru some wood!!
Jimmy haven't forgotten about you!! Haven't seen the Old Man to ask him about the Gravely parts, but I'm sure there's no problem there! Had the flu but am finally feeling better!

Good to hear from you Bobby. Was wondering where you got to and hoping you were just busy with the seasonal stuff with winter coming.

First thing I can remember, really, is that time n tide wait for no man. That was drilled into me from the time I could talk. Living on and off the sea our food source and transportation highway, the tides played a large roll in my life, the wind direction, changing of the wind, types of cloud in the sky, color of sunrise and sunset played a major part in my life. There was hardly a thing more important to us than the tides and the weather.

Have a safe trip ,old son!

Thanks Jerry.....but it didn't happen....not a happy Dawg.....haven't time right now but will fill you all in later.....

Sure hope you kick that stuff soon ! Take care of yourself !!

No worries Bobby....I'm super busy myself right now.

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1416747112345.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1416747112345.jpg
    55.8 KB · Views: 1
Hope its nothing serious but I suspect it it is if it caused you to miss a trip out to the camp!

Serious enough.......cold and windy yesterday..got down to Stonington about 8AM...backed the boat/trailer in...got aboard and fired her up....backed off the trailer....but the steering felt funny.....so was headed up along side the dock to tie up, get out and retrieve the truck/trailer and go park. However when I turned to port the wheel locked up like she was hard over.....boat still going straight ahead...stepped aft..drive still straight ahead...fussed with the wheel an got to turn starboard a little.....then ..bang...got it to turn port a little.......the more I fuss the worse it got.....finally got turned around and somehow got back lined up with the trailer.....when she lined up I nailed it...nearly landed in the back of the truck.....helm unit is broken and shifting is way, way out of adjustment too. Was back to the shop by 9AM...Seaway inside....went to Ellsworth a got Hoss a truckload of Thanksgiving hay and straw...got that unloaded then drove down the coast to the Marine Supply and bought a new helm unit......headed to the shop now to install.

Serious enough.......cold and windy yesterday..got down to Stonington about 8AM...backed the boat/trailer in...got aboard and fired her up....backed off the trailer....but the steering felt funny.....so was headed up along side the dock to tie up, get out and retrieve the truck/trailer and go park. However when I turned to port the wheel locked up like she was hard over.....boat still going straight ahead...stepped aft..drive still straight ahead...fussed with the wheel an got to turn starboard a little.....then ..bang...got it to turn port a little.......the more I fuss the worse it got.....finally got turned around and somehow got back lined up with the trailer.....when she lined up I nailed it...nearly landed in the back of the truck.....helm unit is broken and shifting is way, way out of adjustment too. Was back to the shop by 9AM...Seaway inside....went to Ellsworth a got Hoss a truckload of Thanksgiving hay and straw...got that unloaded then drove down the coast to the Marine Supply and bought a new helm unit......headed to the shop now to install.
Good luck Robin !

I get asked a lot why I waste my time fixing things myself instead of buying new or hiring the repairs done by someone that does it for a living.......my usual responses are one or all of the following;...I hate payments so that rules out buying anything new of great expense. I enjoy fixing things somewhat. I don't have to pay some else to screw up my stuff which I will end up fixing myself anyway.....I can do that part for free. I can't count how many times I've hired stuff done and within a short time have to redo it myself.... so I generally just acquire what ever tools needed to do the job and get 'r done. This is a classic case......hired the Merc dealer to change 2 bellows, a short piece of hose and the gimbal bearing.....I had the parts already......he got me right in and did the work.......$467.00 later.......but........somehow managed to destroy my Teleflex helm unit in the process and really screw up my shift adjustments.....the shift adjustment is very finicky....due to the basic design...so not that displeased with that although was secretly hoping he could get it adjusted better that I have been able to so far as that's what they do......The helm is a different story....I already replaced it when I first bought the boat so it was only 6-7 yrs old.....it was so messed up I had to destroy the unit in order to get my cable out......should be able to simply release a keeper and crank the cable right out with the steering wheel......nope....bad tooth jamb in there.......missing two on the drive gear and two on the driven gear.....found three of the four teeth................Busted helm 001.JPG Busted helm 004.JPG Busted helm 006.JPG Busted helm 007.JPG

How the fark did that gear get stripped, I can`t see the wear necessary for it to skip n jamb. The gear teeth aren`t even worn sharp on either the big or small driven cog.

Don't know.....felt real funny even backing off the trailer.....then when in head gear lost steerage.......not real heavy duty......but just the same, was working fine.....no wear to be seen really at all.... as I said fairly new....I replaced it the first year I had the boat along with the drive unit itself......all new stuff.....I'd say someone was being very heavy handed when turning the wheel with the engine off....have to be patient and let the hydraulic fliud move from one side to the other in the steering slave.........

Don't know.....felt real funny even backing off the trailer.....then when in head gear lost steerage.......not real heavy duty......but just the same, was working fine.....no wear to be seen really at all.... as I said fairly new....I replaced it the first year I had the boat along with the drive unit itself......all new stuff.....I'd say someone was being very heavy handed when turning the wheel with the engine off....have to be patient and let the hydraulic fliud move from one side to the other in the steering slave.........

Those teeth were overstressed, only way to do that was a heavier load than designed for applied. Yes turning the wheel without the engine running n turning the pump takes a steady but not overly hard pressure, possibly wrenching of the wheel would cause the teeth to shear. Guess that $467. gimbal repair job just went up.

Those teeth were overstressed, only way to do that was a heavier load than designed for applied. Yes turning the wheel without the engine running n turning the pump takes a steady but not overly hard pressure, possibly wrenching of the wheel would cause the teeth to shear. Guess that $467. gimbal repair job just went up.

Yep..........seems it did...... cable driven steering with hydro slave assist doesn't take much pressure on the wheel to make a course change or just keeping a weather helm...never seen a broken one before......worn and loose yes..

Latest posts

Back