Sure is quiet in here....do I need to start a fight?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Makes me wonder..........those worn lobes were smooth and shiny and real hard.......just as hard as the good lobes and just as smooth too. You 'spose they were installed that way????? AMC was not one of my favorites back in the day.......came real close to buying an AMX with a 390 4 spd. though......that went real good!!!!

Makes me wonder..........those worn lobes were smooth and shiny and real hard.......just as hard as the good lobes and just as smooth too. You 'spose they were installed that way????? AMC was not one of my favorites back in the day.......came real close to buying an AMX with a 390 4 spd. though......that went real good!!!!
AMX was a fast car !

I hope it turns out well for you with just a cam .

Just heard back from a Summit Racing tech.....their Comp Cam .416 lift should work fine with stock springs.....good low end torque cam.......power from 800-4000 rpm New cam and lifters...new timing chain set too......the original had some slack, plus the cam gear had an alum sprocket with nylon teeth.......I 'spect pretty brittle after 40 yrs....it's outa there....

Just heard back from a Summit Racing tech.....their Comp Cam .416 lift should work fine with stock springs.....good low end torque cam.......power from 800-4000 rpm New cam and lifters...new timing chain set too......the original had some slack, plus the cam gear had an alum sprocket with nylon teeth.......I 'spect pretty brittle after 40 yrs....it's outa there....
Hated them nylon covered gears .

Hated them nylon covered gears .

Well they were light, quiet and ran very smooth but when they give up, it's ovah. LOL....I had a 69 Chevy, rack body/dump one ton truck with a 327 car engine in it.....thing ran sweet but developed a pretty bad oil leak at the front main seal......so bad that going to work on $$$$$ folks estates I had a cookie sheet to slide in under her to catch the drizzelings when I parked so as not make a mess of their manicured driveways. So Fri night I went the parts store and picked up a new seal and Sat morning bright and early I got about fixing the oil leak. When I crawled in under the truck I immediately noticed dry undisturbed dirt all around the seal area???? Then I saw where the oil was coming from!! The timing chain had worn right out through the timing cover!!..... When I got the cover off I saw the problem....about 1/3 of the nylon cam sprocket was missing and the chain was running down on the alum carrier in that spot which made for a real slack chain on the backside of the rotation. Damnedest thing was that old 327 ran perfect the whole time. Replaced the cover and the timing chain set with a double roller, adjustable set from a speed shop and it still ran exactly the same. Didn't run a bit better or worse either.....but didn't leak anymore.

Well they were light, quiet and ran very smooth but when they give up, it's ovah. LOL....I had a 69 Chevy, rack body/dump one ton truck with a 327 car engine in it.....thing ran sweet but developed a pretty bad oil leak at the front main seal......so bad that going to work on $$$$$ folks estates I had a cookie sheet to slide in under her to catch the drizzelings when I parked so as not make a mess of their manicured driveways. So Fri night I went the parts store and picked up a new seal and Sat morning bright and early I got about fixing the oil leak. When I crawled in under the truck I immediately noticed dry undisturbed dirt all around the seal area???? Then I saw where the oil was coming from!! The timing chain had worn right out through the timing cover!!..... When I got the cover off I saw the problem....about 1/3 of the nylon cam sprocket was missing and the chain was running down on the alum carrier in that spot which made for a real slack chain on the backside of the rotation. Damnedest thing was that old 327 ran perfect the whole time. Replaced the cover and the timing chain set with a double roller, adjustable set from a speed shop and it still ran exactly the same. Didn't run a bit better or worse either.....but didn't leak anymore.
Seen some wore bad , but never that bad ! LOL

The lifters may tell the tale. Concave contact area means a lot of wear.

Yep........took the head off to retrieve the lifters....could possibly have replaced the cam and lifters without doing that but as the lifters will fall either way when the engine is turned in the stand they fell up into the pushrod gallery......could have fished them out with the telescoping magnet but not worth the effort and having come this far I wanted a look at the cyl bores. Anywho...all the lifters looked perfect......EXCEPT the two that corresponded to the badly worn cam lodes......they were deeply dished...(one and four right to left).....the other 10 were completely flat...

PICT0186.JPG PICT0192.JPG

It was refreshing not to have to struggle with getting the lifters out of the block like it has always been with the Chevy inline sixes. Anyone who has done this knows what I mean...LOL!! Got the block deck all cleaned up and checked with the straight edge.....nice and flat. Thread chased all the cyl head bolt holes with a bottoming tap and chased all the bolt threads with a die type thread chaser. Gotta order up a bunch of parts the first of the week. Still have to pull the rod and main bearing caps and check the bearings shells yet.....seems nice and tight but I better look.....LOL!!
Cam bearings looked great.....no bright spots or copper to be seen...

PICT0185.JPG PICT0190.JPG

Had a good visit with Jerry and his wife Judy yesterday......he left off a red saw.....a 1986 670 but from what I've been able to uncover it has a 268XP top end with 237 Tilly carb from a 625 with the top fed impulse cover changed over to one for the internal impulse. He said it ran good.....haven't had time to throw a B&C on it and fuel it up. Personally I like the solid carb mount instead of the boot design of the 625/670...otherwise the 268XP and the 670 are nearly the same powerwise. Great runners!! Thank Jerry!!!

Had a good visit with Jerry and his wife Judy yesterday......he left off a red saw.....a 1986 670 but from what I've been able to uncover it has a 268XP top end with 237 Tilly carb from a 625 with the top fed impulse cover changed over to one for the internal impulse. He said it ran good.....haven't had time to throw a B&C on it and fuel it up. Personally I like the solid carb mount instead of the boot design of the 625/670...otherwise the 268XP and the 670 are nearly the same powerwise. Great runners!! Thank Jerry!!!

Had a very good trip down n back, meeting up with Robin and his bride was the highlight of the trip. Spent some time at Robins shop, swapped parts and stories, went sightseeing for the day and had a very enjoyable meal with them both in the evening. That old saw was built from a box of donated parts, they were likely a mis matched bunch as every component was separated, just a crankcase and crank was the only bits that were still together at the time so I cleaned up the best looking bits and bolted er up. Did run really good 4 - 5 years back when first assembled.

Yep........took the head off to retrieve the lifters....could possibly have replaced the cam and lifters without doing that but as the lifters will fall either way when the engine is turned in the stand they fell up into the pushrod gallery......could have fished them out with the telescoping magnet but not worth the effort and having come this far I wanted a look at the cyl bores. Anywho...all the lifters looked perfect......EXCEPT the two that corresponded to the badly worn cam lodes......they were deeply dished...(one and four right to left).....the other 10 were completely flat...

View attachment 520578 View attachment 520580

I didn`t think to ask you if the pushrod oil holes were blocked on those two lifters, I had an International 345 loose a lifter from a plugged oil hole up the pushrod.

I didn`t think to ask you if the pushrod oil holes were blocked on those two lifters, I had an International 345 loose a lifter from a plugged oil hole up the pushrod.

Well you know, I thought of that but only blew through one pushrod...figured I would clean them all before reassembly......also going to examine the oil feed to both those lifters......I doubt there is blockage as that motor is stunningly clean inside...but must check anyway.

I will get into that 670 when time allows.....perhaps a little grinding here or there and a 254 carb.....I love this series....even better 'cause it's RED!!!.....This will end up a RED version of my much loved 61/268XP conversion saw..OOOOoooooohhhh. Me likey!!! Strong unit!!

I cut with that red saw for a whole day, dropping hardwood off the stump, probably dropped 20+ trees and did some limning. Was a fiercly cold winters day, temp well below freezing all day. Saw performed flawlessly and had 5 + tanks of mix through er, cutting speed reminded me of my ported 044`s which I used almost every day that winter. Ended up with 167 cords of cut up firewood or 35 tandem loads of split firewood from that winters work . Was real nice tall sticks, 16 - 24 " on the stump and over 50' tall to the top off point where the limbs got too small to save.
Also, the ice was over 4' thick that winter, could run the skidder right across the lake.

Latest posts

Back