Sure is quiet in here....do I need to start a fight?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Have you seen the Southern Cross yet on a clear sky night? Its sumtin else, yes tis!!
No........the light pollution it to much in El Centro, with little sky showing between the buildings. I will not leave before I do though. Probably hike down to the waterfront tonight and try there. If not, we may take a boat trip up the river to Uruguay on Friday...if so it doesn't return to Buenos Aries until 8 PM......should be much better viewing there, out on the river.

16,000 plus steps again today.....went to a fine arts museum.....it was closed on Tues.........OK.......went the La Recoleta Cemetery...kinda weird I know.....but this is a very important place. Anyone who was/is anyone in Argentine history is interned here. 4691 above ground vaults.....many with underground vaults as well......35,000 odd bodies lie in rest on these 14 acres. Each vault is a shrine to the person and the person's family.....some of the most elaborate stone work and design work you can ever imagine.
Any type of design you can imagine is not duplicated here.....these folks were all making a statement as to who and what they did while alive....I can't even describe the works......much done on the masonic order....much done on the Christian order......much done the ego order... I have never been to a place like this.....you look in and see the elaborate coffins in their resting places...illuminated by intricate stained glass windows....forevah.....and evah....
I didn't take any pics but the bride did...will get some up in a while.....

Yeah it was like a little city of the dead....endless narrow streets and alleys interspaced with broad avenues, vaults almost all touching the next, some costing millions and millions of dollars to build. The stories behind some were very interesting.....again we spent a bit more and went on a walking tour with a guide who works there on restoration/repair jobs. Over 4000 statues some done by the greatest artists ever known....will get some pics up after I get the bride to load them into my 'puter.....

So we were down at the waterfront a couple days ago.....Puerto Madero to be precise....it is the old port of Buenos Aries....no longer an industrial port.....on the mainland side all the warehouse have been turned into shops and condos.....on the outside...the island side is high rent, high rise offices etc. The sign of the old port are still visable here and there. Anyway...I was standing there looking up the length of the inner harbor when I saw this thing coming towards me in in/on the water.....looked like something Danny would build....I couldn't figger out what it was....

DSC_0488.jpg DSC_0490.jpg

Great pix Robin! That yellow thing looks like a water weed mower.

Well.....it steers like a track machine and is paddlewheel driven.....a little more basic than it seems.....I swear, I thought Danny was driving it.....wouldn't be damn bit surprised if it was a long lost great cousin of his whose ancestor ended up down here after 1755........
Anyway it is a litter scoop with a cable run boom and wire mesh bucket......the paddlewheels are a hoot.....funny looking rig but appeared to do exactly what it was supposed to.

DSC_0491.jpg DSC_0492.jpg DSC_0493.jpg DSC_0494.jpg DSC_0495.jpg DSC_0496.jpg

Back