Sure is quiet in here....do I need to start a fight?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Jerry....what do you know about the Dolmar PS 540??? I asked in the Dolmar stickies too.....

I do believe that the 540 is the newer version of the 115, now the 115i is a fine saw. I have a few of them and they are in the 50 cc class of saw, as reliable as a hammer, built for the long run but the AV rubbers are their weak link, they fall apart if subjected to oil and fuel but are easily replaced. Each one I pick up the first thing that gets changed out is the AV`s.

I do believe that the 540 is the newer version of the 115, now the 115i is a fine saw. I have a few of them and they are in the 50 cc class of saw, as reliable as a hammer, built for the long run but the AV rubbers are their weak link, they fall apart if subjected to oil and fuel but are easily replaced. Each one I pick up the first thing that gets changed out is the AV`s.

It seems like a very well built saw....from what I can see, it's wicked dirty but all there and nothing broken...well...except the engine, which is definitely broked in good shape. It is obvious that it has lived in the back of a pickup 24/7. Probably worth rebuilding if a fella had the parts.....otherwise be a great parts saw...which is probably more in line with its ultimate destiny....don't know how old it is but I'll wager that a rag has nevah touched this saw......not even once since it left the dealership.

Not really - the 540 has a slightly larger bore, but is "detuned" to less performance than the 115 = one of several "semi-pro" alternatives to the 115.

The 115 still is a current model, at least in Germany.

Not really - the 540 has a slightly larger bore, but is "detuned" to less performance than the 115 = one of several "semi-pro" alternatives to the 115.

The 115 still is a current model, at least in Germany.
Thanks Nikko, I have not had a 540 in my hands , my interest in the SD saws waned badly after Makita took them over.

It seems like a very well built saw....from what I can see, it's wicked dirty but all there and nothing broken...well...except the engine, which is definitely broked in good shape. It is obvious that it has lived in the back of a pickup 24/7. Probably worth rebuilding if a fella had the parts.....otherwise be a great parts saw...which is probably more in line with its ultimate destiny....don't know how old it is but I'll wager that a rag has nevah touched this saw......not even once since it left the dealership.

Likely cost some good money to round up parts to rebuild it but they are well built saws, tough decision on whether to repair or part it out.

That happened around 1991/92 really - but it recently has become more obvious.

Yes, we had a great SD dealer here that I frequented regularly, even worked there for a spell and had bought 5 SD saws starting in 1985 with a 116 and 120s. Then one each year after that til 1991 when he gave up the dealership due to not being able to deal with Makita as a reliable supplier of saws and parts.

I still have a dozen or so SD saws but the Makita blue ones have never peaked my interest, guess the older red ones will outlast me anyway They were the saws I was using during my peak cutting days and will forever be the best saws I ever run for high production cutting. In their time they would rival any Stihl or Husqvarna during that time period. We cut with them day in and out for months on end with no mechanical problem at all, the oldest 116 wore out a piston after 4 hard years, been repaired and now sits as a shelf queen. The rest of them are at the ready for any time they are needed to perform. I even have a broken 115 here that I picked up for parts, the part that extends forward from the fuel tank that has the front AV rubbers in it has snapped in two but the rest of the saw is complete and in good shape, havn`t had to pirate any parts off it yet.

The 116 and 115 were our most used SD saws, I had a 113 and 112 as well as two 120s then bought a 116 si as my last new SD saw, picked up a few more lightly used ones after our dealer closed up shop. If the SD saws had continued to be produced and our dealer had stayed in business there likely wouldn`t be a Stihl saw in my stable of saws and I would not have gotten into porting them. Now that I have many Stihls in the collection and I have learned to port them I couldn`t go back to running anything else, the 026`s I turn out keep me smiling every chance I get to run them. Nice to run the bigger saw sometimes but I sure don`t need them for what we are currently cutting.

Woot !!!!!

20161203_114809.jpg

20161203_152857.jpg

A few pics of the Thanksgiving week work at the camp. First I had to build a platform at the top of the stairs down to the beach. Snowed off and on the whole time.....blew steady....no accumulation but made everything wet and cold. The Jotul burning mainland ash and maple made it better!!!

iphone 11-28-16 008.JPG iphone 11-28-16 011.JPG iphone 11-28-16 025.JPG iphone 11-28-16 026.JPG iphone 11-28-16 027.JPG iphone 11-28-16 022.JPG

So once the platform was done it was time to get to the real work. I didn't take any before pics but the gable end of the camp was boarded down a ways and had about two feet of cedar shingles on it below where the shingles are cut off in the pic. It isn't as precarious as it looks...the big cedar post in on concrete as is the square 6X6 PT. Dave and I put the whole place up on concrete the fall my father passed away. We couldn't straighten any thing much because of the skirting so we just added new posts where we could. Once I cut the skirting away I reframed the whole end, added a couple more posts, built a new access door and sheathed the whole thing in 5/4 X 6 PT.......scribing it all to the ledge, of course, same as the front side that I did last year.

iphone 11-28-16 029.JPG iphone 11-28-16 028.JPG iphone 11-28-16 032.JPG iphone 11-28-16 034.JPG iphone 11-28-16 035.JPG

Back