Sure is quiet in here....do I need to start a fight?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Sure looks nice Robin ! Should be good fer nother hundered years .
Thanks John.......this in all in preparation to reshingle the south and west sides and put in new windows in those sides like I've already done on the east and north sides....then when I get the ol' Miserable Device out there we can go out in the winter.......take the mail boat and drive down to the camp as long as the snow is a foot or less.....they don't plow that side of the island....got nice chains for the Jeep!!!

OK...so......pretty damn muddy here in the woods too.....had no slave labor today so I had to fit, split, stack and drive.....only about a half cord out today......three hours.....spent a lot of time getting the wood already split yesterday out and pouring gravel in the really soft spots. My land so no waste....

IMG_0068.JPG IMG_0069.JPG IMG_0075.JPG

Last load was way short......really went back for the saw but managed to get the very last of the hardwood and a bit of phirr.......was blown down last fall.......might as well bring it out........the Free Flow don't care what goes through the door.....damn......I was felling pretty darn 'Nadian muhsef.....somehow.....butt then I had a tall green can.....orientation re-established....burn it quick.....(like Ill have a choice}...

IMG_0073.JPG

Meanwhile , back in Nadia I sat back and watched the Stihl parade

20161204_105405.jpg

Yup , we got muck .

20161126_110006.jpg

20161203_143135.jpg

20161203_145950.jpg

Plenty of Stihl cut wood , no dogzkavarnaz to be seen for miles .

I know that lil Bolenz is the same way.....when making a road to where I want to be never cut anything bigger than my thumb.....only do that because I don't want keep getting whacked by them every trip. Go around practically anything......can turn 180 degrees in it's length using separate wheel brakes and the front wheel drive. I would like a bigger tractor but then would have to learn what that one would need to get around......got this one down pat......after 22 years of using it.

The bride cleaned out the garden yesterday.....no more fresh veggies after these are gone....which won't take long!!

Pretty good run...don't generally do much gardening around here on the fourth of Dec.!!!!!

View attachment 541302

Judy picked roses off our front flower garden Sat morning, hard to believe and we still have a couple dozen beets growing and snipping leaves from them since June, we like beet greens.

Fairly miserable day today.....snow all afternoon.....18 degree 'Merican when I got to work.......me and the old fella cut rafters all afternoon in the snow......damn...felt just like old times!!! He's a good guy and pays well but is pretty useless in the trade......so I cut both ends and did all layout/marking......lot of walking for me cutting 22 foot rafters. This is just as miserable as I remember......the big difference is the pay scale....done this exact work under these exact (and much worse) conditions for $2.75/ hour....LOL...I get a lil more now......LOL!!!

This is helping.......this is a Czech beverage the daughter had me bring home when we met her in Dublin a couple yrs back....low on scotch so thought I'd break the seal this afternoon......not my cup of tea but 'spect Ron would like it.....and I'll drink it a shot to a time.....good warmer-upper!!!

IMG_0077.JPG

I know that lil Bolenz is the same way.....when making a road to where I want to be never cut anything bigger than my thumb.....only do that because I don't want keep getting whacked by them every trip. Go around practically anything......can turn 180 degrees in it's length using separate wheel brakes and the front wheel drive. I would like a bigger tractor but then would have to learn what that one would need to get around......got this one down pat......after 22 years of using it.
I didn't even think the other day... pulled up the drive in 6th, slid into 7th, then into 8th with the little one on my knee. As we puttered around the neighborhood I realized what I had done with out ticking a gear. Like you Robin.... been running that little machine a LONG time... 26-28 years. Just like riding a bike... it comes back to you real quick.

Jimmy, if you are loosing screws from a Stihl then you are not putting them in tight enough, talking about the under head serrated Torx drive screws though. Never ever lost one from all the Stihls I run and that`s a considerable amount of hard run time involved since 1990. On the other hand I couldn`t count all the screws and muffler nuts etc lost off Hooskies in very few hours of actual cutting time, not running them in the garage or cutting a couple cookies but real woods time.

Jimmy, if you are loosing screws from a Stihl then you are not putting them in tight enough, talking about the under head serrated Torx drive screws though. Never ever lost one from all the Stihls I run and that`s a considerable amount of hard run time involved since 1990. On the other hand I couldn`t count all the screws and muffler nuts etc lost off Hooskies in very few hours of actual cutting time, not running them in the garage or cutting a couple cookies but real woods time.
Jerry I currently own no Stihls of my own. I do know I see lots of missing screws when they come in. Bought a bunch from Dave a while back and just look up what goes where and put them back together. I also have M4,M5,M6 helicoils to fix the ones that have been goobered with a #10 machine screw etc.

As for Husky screws, I have never lost one either and some of my saws are getting up there in hours at this point. A common saw with muffler issues, 394/5, is due to the fact they are single use muffler bolts. Any time I pull a muffler, it gets new bolts, lock nuts, gasket. Milling I have had zero issues. The nuts on them are an interference nut and deform the threads. Reuse kills the self lock.

Husky also has been running undercut heads for a while now. They are not the end all.. I have had two 066/660 saws come in with the jug loose and they had never had the top off.

Vibrations and harmonics are mother nature and she will take everything back. Thats why when we push snow we stop ever 3 hrs to check grader edge bolts. The vibration rattles them ou and they are installed north of 300 lb/ft on a 1/2" bolt.

Back