Sure is quiet in here....do I need to start a fight?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You too Bobby!!

Been a pretty productive morning here..so far.....First had to build a fire in the cookstove....let it go out overnight as the big stove was plenty with temp only dropping to 25 'Merican.....bride's away for a couple nights so had the place to myself.....made koffee as soon as the stove was up to temp. Grabbed my well used Danny Dipper out of the koffee beans and measured out four heaping dippers full of roasted beans into the bean grinder like always and like always I smile a little at the finely made little dripper....besides it's obvious usefulness it is of tremendous value to me. Then I got the fixings out of the fridge and constructed a chicken 'n noodle soup ......had the broth and meat already as I cooked off the bird a couple days ago.....selected my favorite kitchen knife...a beautiful 11" job with a 6" blade...sharp as can be......another hand made item with a beautiful wood drip that Unc gave us. Then I preceded to slice and dice the various vegetables for the soup and adding them and the spices in an order of cook times to the simmering broth on the cookstove, stirring them in gently with my large Danny made spoon.........as going about my work it dawned on me just how much I cherish each of the hand made items that I use every day that was generously gifted to me/us...........and who would ever imagined that these unique and beautiful items came freely from a bunch of chainsaw geeks I met in the interwebs.....simply amazing.....Thanks again guys.....Oh and the soup came out awesome being cooked on Jonsereds cut apple wood......no bitter aftertaste like stuffs cooked on Stihl cut wood........LOL....and u thot I was getting all sentimental......:drinkingcoffee::laughing:

The snow is now too deep for working in the woods, I walked in a woods road we work on and the snow is up to my knees, if my boots were to make it all the way down to the bare ground there would be more than 30" of the white stuff, even deeper where it drifted.

Yep...about the same here......I'm gonna try to get back in the woods tomorrow.....'spose to mid 40s and sunny......got out all my wilted and standing dead before the snow. but there is one maple blow down that I left......it's not far from the shop....actually the closest tree to the shop that I'm taking this season......I can dig my way to it if necessary......probably about another half cord of nice dry wood......

The Stihl cut rock maple dried two years is rocking right along, may have to stop burning it for now as its making too much heat for the outside temps, have to reload the woodbox/rack with Stihl cut lesser quality smooth bark maple. I already burned up all the black spruce I had on hand, plenty more piled and dry but its sorta blocked in now by the recent snowfalls. Oh well have to sacrifice a little sometimes.

I fired up the backhoe and did a little snow removal this past Wednesday, cut out about 1/2 mile of drifted snow, in places about 4' deep. No plowing through that stuff just plenty of bucketing just like shoveling but with a much bigger shovel....LOL

I can relate!!!!!

These latest two snowfalls will settle quickly if the temps rise a few degrees above freezing but even then going is still very difficult through that hard packed snow, easier to go over it than through it, need a snow cat right now.

Yep when I was a kid half tracks were popular in the woods around here......usually mounted on a Ford 8n or similar sized Case tractor.....occasionally on a Case or John Deer bucket loader.......If you get them installed correctly and they weren't totally worn out, they got around real well over rough terrain and or deep snow.....CleatTrack was the best brand we used.....excellent rigs.....the only draw back was steering......farm tractor brakes were not heavy enough to steer with very good...lot of times you'd have to clear a spot in the woods with the bucket in order to get the front wheels on the ground to turn around......they pretty much disappeared when FWD and ring chains came along.......

The snow is now too deep for working in the woods, I walked in a woods road we work on and the snow is up to my knees, if my boots were to make it all the way down to the bare ground there would be more than 30" of the white stuff, even deeper where it drifted.
Snow shoes! lol
Used em 2 years ago. Ocean State Job Lot here sells em.

It is real easy to find and pick up a cable skidder up here right now, lots of Timber jacks selling for cheap these days. I know of one with low use hours on it, knew the machine since new and could pick it up for around 8 t US ready for work, comes with ring chains on all four so taking a tractor in the woods for any serious harvesting isn`t worth the effort. Still ok for us wood scroungers that can work when the weather permits and not need to make money off the work expended.

The Stihl cut rock maple dried two years is rocking right along, may have to stop burning it for now as its making too much heat for the outside temps, have to reload the woodbox/rack with Stihl cut lesser quality smooth bark maple. I already burned up all the black spruce I had on hand, plenty more piled and dry but its sorta blocked in now by the recent snowfalls. Oh well have to sacrifurnin a
You too Bobby!!

Been a pretty productive morning here..so far.....First had to build a fire in the cookstove....let it go out overnight as the big stove was plenty with temp only dropping to 25 'Merican.....bride's away for a couple nights so had the place to myself.....made koffee as soon as the stove was up to temp. Grabbed my well used Danny Dipper out of the koffee beans and measured out four heaping dippers full of roasted beans into the bean grinder like always and like always I smile a little at the finely made little dripper....besides it's obvious usefulness it is of tremendous value to me. Then I got the fixings out of the fridge and constructed a chicken 'n noodle soup ......had the broth and meat already as I cooked off the bird a couple days ago.....selected my favorite kitchen knife...a beautiful 11" job with a 6" blade...sharp as can be......another hand made item with a beautiful wood drip that Unc gave us. Then I preceded to slice and dice the various vegetables for the soup and adding them and the spices in an order of cook times to the simmering broth on the cookstove, stirring them in gently with my large Danny made spoon.........as going about my work it dawned on me just how much I cherish each of the hand made items that I use every day that was generously gifted to me/us...........and who would ever imagined that these unique and beautiful items came freely from a bunch of chainsaw geeks I met in the interwebs.....simply amazing.....Thanks again guys.....Oh and the soup came out awesome being cooked on Jonsereds cut apple wood......no bitter aftertaste like stuffs cooked on Stihl cut wood........LOL....and u thot I was getting all sentimental......:drinkingcoffee::laughing:
Choice Post my Friend!!! Mahalo....

Back