Sure is quiet in here....do I need to start a fight?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Some do.... some don't.....the older cars had more metal in them to start with and although subjected to salt air they are not subjected to direct attack from salt on the roads like mainland cars. Speeds are very slow and mileage very limited. And not all are mint.....many really beat but as there is no inspection they don't get sidelined like mainland cars...as long as it runs and you dare drive it you're good to go.....that's why it's so important that the miserable device be in excellent mechanical condition and the body secondary. There is no car ferry.......you have make arrangements with a private barge.....usually runs about $500 to get a car on or off......unless you can share with others and split the cost. I was lucky with the Saab.....we got married out there and had to rent a barge twice......once to bring the box truck over with the huge party tent and again to remove the tent......we didn't find anyone to help with the cost......the second trip, coming off with the box truck was my Saab, Steves 51 Dodge and a 6 cyl tow behind air compressor that Steve got for free because they couldn't get to run.......LOL Steve filed the points and she purred like a kitten.......SCORE!!!!!
Know of a few islands here and off Newfoundland where steel just about melts away, the islands are rather small and very open to the ocean, salt spray just about flies clear cross them during big storms.
Barging goods over and back would hit the pocketbook hard.

Yeah this a a pretty good sized island.....7 1/2 miles long and 2 1/2 miles wide with 7 mountains running pretty much down the middle. The southern end and east side are most exposed but the majority of the inhabitants live on the northwest end which is pretty well protected......most of the nice very old cars are owned by summer people who have nice dry garages to keep them in and care takers to care for them, they only get 30-60 day use a year max.......and with only 14 miles of road, over half of which is dirt and near impassable and not plowed in the winter, it's hard log many miles. The natives generally bring on cars that have gone by on the main land. So these are pretty feeble to begin with and it usually costs as much to get them there as to buy.

Spent all day yesterday ripping the miserable device to bits.....all ready to pull the block. What a complicated, carbed engine......I'll get some pics of the harness......unreal...almost like it was FI.....sensors all over the intake manifold.....I'll go broke buying pipe plugs!!!! Gonna have half a trash can full of unused wires/plugs when I'm done!!! I have a small copper mine to take care of today so probably won't pull the block until tomorrow....'spose to rain anyway. I pulled all the parts I need to swap to the new engine, so those need to be cleaned, repaired and or painted......the only thing I still need from the old motor yet is the base pan....the Jeep pan is an inch deeper, holds another quart of oil and a has a stout, built in skid plate. Not sure my engine crane will lift it high enough to clear the fenders.......if it doesn't... we go to plan B.....the two ton, rolling overhead bridge crane.....that WILL lift it high enough!!

Don`t know where all the ole 258`s went to around here, was a glut of them maybe 10 - 12 years ago as old Jeeps and AMC cars like the Eagle rusted out many of the engines were still running strong. Most probably ended up in the scrap metal dumpsters.

Don`t know where all the ole 258`s went to around here, was a glut of them maybe 10 - 12 years ago as old Jeeps and AMC cars like the Eagle rusted out many of the engines were still running strong. Most probably ended up in the scrap metal dumpsters.

Yep I think you're right.....had a hard time finding one......years back they were everywhere...used in many vehicles with different brand names.

I see a guy driving an eagle wagon all the time. I'll try to get a pic.

Yep I think you're right.....had a hard time finding one......years back they were everywhere...used in many vehicles with different brand names.

Was just talking with a feller last week and he told me he had one with less that 20 thou klms on it, came from a roll over Hornet and he kept it to put in his boat. The boat rotted away with the original Chev 250 still running strong, never needed the 258 but its been sitting in an unheated building more than 20 years so its likely stuck by now.

Was just talking with a feller last week and he told me he had one with less that 20 thou klms on it, came from a roll over Hornet and he kept it to put in his boat. The boat rotted away with the original Chev 250 still running strong, never needed the 258 but its been sitting in an unheated building more than 20 years so its likely stuck by now.

HMMM...just as well I didn't know about that one, I'd had to make a road trip!!!! This one, Unc brought me was supposed to have 57,000 original miles on it. I believe that.... was in great shape and clean as a whistle inside....only immediate problem was the two missing cam lobes.......they were worn nice and smooth so I would say a long slow wear rather than sudden failure. Front and rear main seals were hard as a rock. Bearings looked great and plastiguaged within spec...bores were consistently clean, free of any streaking, cross hatch still visible with hardly any ridge at the top of the cyl......was tempted to hone and rering but decided if it wasn't broke don't fix it......however I did replace the timing chain set that wasn't broke.....the original cam sprocket was alum with a nylon ring gear for teeth.......I know what happens the 40 year old plastic exposed to heat, oil and stress....been there-done that.....new chain and stihl gears for me...Oh and the oil pump wasn't broked but after pumping all those iron filings it got replaced with an OE Mopar Performance high volume pump......this isn't a high performance build...it's (hopefully) a way better than stock durable build........may end up in another vehicle if it proves durable enough.....may even end up back on the mainland at some point. And another by product of this is I have the original 1985 Jeep core to rebuild if need be.....

Good engines are always hard to find if you need one but come up when you already have one that likely needed a bit of work but you could see it was worth saving. Same thing for that outdrive part I needed, couldn`t find a good one at a decent price close by around here but since I got it and mated it up to the rest of the drive with some work n bits several good ones with that same ratio have come up for sale, they were grabbed real fast but the sold for a reasonable price. I made many inquiries up around the Great Lakes shores and had a dealer get back to me a month or so after Judy and I picked up that drive at your shop. He had found a NOS one, correct year and ratio that I would have grabbed in a heartbeat if I had found it first.
You have built that engine up as good as any used engine would ever be so it will run and last a good long time at the speeds it will see and the low mileage as well.

Life span will be dictated by green can intake before operation of loud pedal...

Just sayin' .... "tach 'er up 'n dump'ah"

LOL......I doubt there will much of that happening......damn Jeeps are a squirrelly little rig when rear wheel traction is lost...azz end always trying to get there before the front.......found that out the hard way the second time I drove that one on the road.....ended up OK...... but I was headed in the opposite direction and backwards in a snowbank when the dust settled!!! I think even if green cans are involved the loud pedal will be used sparingly out there.....!!!LOL!! That's the benefit /problem with the island..........you can go as fast or slow as you want......but in the end you'll just end up back where you started......

A few pics of the miserable device and progress.......new engine coming together......dry fitting all parts on the engine stand to make sure everything fits and bolts up fully and easily, treads clean etc. then a lot of items will be removed to make installation easier.

Jeep 018.JPG Jeep 020.JPG Jeep 017.JPG Jeep 008.JPG Jeep 010.JPG

Jeep 028.JPG What a pile of wires!!!! Not going to need anywhere near this many!!! One of these harnesses was for the carb and intake manifold....Speaking of the manifold......what the heck is this rig? It had a wire coming out of it. It bolts up into the bottom of the manifold directly under the carb and has a number of 1/8" dia. pins sticking up about 1.5".......some kind of sensor I guess....the manifold was covered with sensors......had to buy 5 pipe plugs to plug all the holes!! And stihl have to make a block off plate for the EGR....this is the most complicated, carbureted inline 6 cyl I've evah seen.......I 'spect it was the doing of an out of work Stihl engineer who got hired buy Mopar......

Jeep 013.JPG Jeep 023.JPG Jeep 025.JPG Jeep 026.JPG

Finally I got the tired old motor out.....need the base for the new motor.....lot of sludge to clean out......man that motor was tired...timing chain was just hanging off the sprockets....put your thumbs on the rod bearing caps and twist the rods kitty-cornered on the journals......but it still ran......poorly.... but would go down the road.....good core to rebuild.

Got a pile of grimy parts to clean today........clean and paint the base so I can close the new motor up for good......new Sachs clutch kit be in today.....the flywheel was mint!! I expected to have to resurface or replace it......just clean it up and good to go...

Jeep 016.JPG Jeep 030.JPG Jeep 031.JPG Jeep 033.JPG

Back