Sure is quiet in here....do I need to start a fight?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Very bleak up there, very exposed to the ravages of the Atlantic, trees can`t get a chance to grow in that thin soil and salt laced winds. Access to the fishing grounds was likely the only reason for families to settle on that coast, much better conditions further inside the bay.

Yeah...my thoughts too....probably back in the days before power it was more important to be closer to the fishing grounds than have a protected harbor....Grates Cove is protected from the NW gales but real open to a N'or Easter.....one thing that has struck me is the older houses......very flat roofs with no over hangs on eves or gables.
I would have expected a little steeper pitch but I spose less wind resistance more important than pitch. Never thought much about it but But my great Uncle musta been influenced by Newfoundlanders as my camp would fit right in here........

Island 1-02-17 020.JPG

Yeah...my thoughts too....probably back in the days before power it was more important to be closer to the fishing grounds than have a protected harbor....Grates Cove is protected from the NW gales but real open to a N'or Easter.....one thing that has struck me is the older houses......very flat roofs with no over hangs on eves or gables.
I would have expected a little steeper pitch but I spose less wind resistance more important than pitch. Never thought much about it but But my great Uncle musta been influenced by Newfoundlanders as my camp would fit right in here........

View attachment 602420

Yep, access he the fishing grounds was paramount, only had wind or muscle power in the early days, wind filled yer sail or it was oars that moved the boat. My extended family had a fishing camp/ slip and flakes setup on offshore island, 5 + miles from their main habitat. The men would spend a week or more at a time out at the camp fishing and drying fish, made it back home when the weather would allow. Lobsters were worth nothing back then but groundfish were their mainstay. Many a trip they rowed one or both ways out and back if conditions were calm.

View attachment 602420
Shangri La.............

Less chance of the wind catching the overhang on the roof and ripping it off. Houses should have been built shaped like an igloo or half a football shape, nothing for the wind to catch a hold of.
Reminds me of a hero of mine. Only saw him once but am amazing person. And he would agree with you Jerry.

He developed a structure for high wind areas. MIT said it would be good for only 36mph

He built one. Tagged it down. Tied down an airplane and the winds got to over 200mph.

I want to remember that he was inside......but I don't remember ....though it was in his nature.

It might have been from a number of reasons that they chose such a low pitch. Economy of building materials likely played a large part......hard to find a tree taller than 20-30 feet to the tippy top in this land...rafters often the longest and heaviest lumber in a house..and all manufactured materials, like roofing, had to be lugged here from elsewhere. Wind resistance likely an issue as already stated. I would think snow loads would be an issue in this climate but perhaps the wind blows so hard it doesn't gather on roofs as much....also most of these houses fairly small and are rather narrow compared to their length so short rafter length not such a concern.....4 pitch is about as low as modern carpentry allows......these are like 1 1/2-1 3/4" pitch....would think ice dams be a problem.....but if the snow can't stay on the roof I guess not a problem. This climate is quite different than Maine......what hardwoods there are here haven't even started to turn and was picking fresh plump wild blue berries to eat yesterday....Maine's crop gone by the third week in Aug. and trees were just starting to turn color two weeks ago....about the same up through NB and NS.....not here....

SO....out and about yesterday.....laid back day.....went over to Cupids Harbor....the very first English settlement in Canada...circa 1610... biggest feature is an enormous lump of ledge called Spectacle Head.....on the tippy top is a stone cairn.....quite tall....it's been there a very long time they say.....they call it Merican Man....no kidding...that's exactly what they call it.......not a clear shot but as close as my telephoto would get me....

Newfoundland 002.JPG Newfoundland 012.JPG

Cupids was an interesting stop......from there we went over to Conception Bay....found these...actually there are three sunken ships in these pics but two you can't see as they are just behind this one but in deep water. These were steamships.....built in the 20' as whalers....all from 121' to 140'.....they all hunted whales from Labrador to Antarctica except during WWII when they all were used as mine sweepers... when retired for whaling they came to be here.....moored for 10 years starting in 58.....two sunk on the moorings this one broke her mooring and came ashore in a gale in '68 and here she sits...funny.....the last pic is from the same turnout...LOL!!

Newfoundland 037.JPG Newfoundland 034.JPG Newfoundland 038.JPG

Cupids was an interesting stop......from there we went over to Conception Bay....found these...actually there are three sunken ships in these pics but two you can't see as they are just behind this one but in deep water. These were steamships.....built in the 20' as whalers....all from 121' to 140'.....they all hunted whales from Labrador to Antarctica except during WWII when they all were used as mine sweepers... when retired for whaling they came to be here.....moored for 10 years starting in 58.....two sunk on the moorings this one broke her mooring and came ashore in a gale in '68 and here she sits...funny.....the last pic is from the same turnout...LOL!!

View attachment 602656 View attachment 602657 View attachment 602655

Back when pollution was not an issue many/many ships met the same fate. I can remember well when there was at least a dozen such ships sunk in Halifax harbor, many of them ex whalers.

Back