Surface restoration: anybody tried a stone burier after stump grinding?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

marne

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Usually when doing stumps it's common sense to grind and go, which I do in 99% of all cases.

But sometimes when doing jobs for better situated customers, there is need for leaving not such a mess, or other customers ask for grading/grinding whole parts of their gardens.
For sure no problem grinding, but leaving a prepared bed for seeding lawn? No way with a grinder, maybe after extensive raking with varying results and aching arms.

After researching, I found those stone burier attachments for skid steers and tractors.
They seem to do a decent grading job and they seem to indeed bury stones.

No doubt they will not bury several ft³ chips from a giant stump on 10ft², but what about those machines and grindings in general?
The intention is to spread the chips over a larger surface around where the stump was and then to level it with such a device in several passes.

I don't expect pitch black soil in the end but something you can sell.

Anybody ever tried it?

Maybe a little smaller but like this:

Many thanks!

I am familiar with these products.
Generally speaking they only work well with large tractors. A decent stone burier, like a Massano RSG, requires at very least a 40hp tractor and will bury stones up to 10cm in diameter at a depth of 20-22cm. Of course there are better machines, able to bury larger stones deeper, but costs quickly spiral out of control and require larger and larger tractors. At that point it's just better to get a >100hp tractor with a stone chipper, such as a Seppi. ;)

Massano makes smaller buriers which work with small tractors (up to 40hp) but these are made to work on light soils. Heavy soils, such as packed clay, would easily defeat them.

All things considered, it's only worth it if you already have a powerful enough tractor and enough customers wanting such a service to recoup the cost quickly enough.

Many thanks Conquistador3,

I expected these units to be power hungry without a doubt, but wonder how these do in already tilled soil, which is leftover from a stump grinder and if they are able to bury the wood chips or at least mix the chips evenly enough on a wide area to not beeing problem for lawn seeding.

If you plan on tilling the soil before using the "enfouisseur" (I like the sound of it!) and it's meant for lawns, one of the smallest Massano models, such as the RSH, may be worth looking into, bearing in mind the largest rocks will still have to be removed by hand.
If you already have a small (30-40hp) tractor it may be worth getting a quote.

Back