Surprise In The Woodpile

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Not sure if my latest snake was a black snake or not. I don't have a Pic, but it was about 4' long, 1.3" dia. at the center, dark charcoal grey with a yellowish belly, and it snapped at me like a cobra. Most of the time it slept about 10' away and had no fear of either me or my 046 Mag that I ran for an hour cutting big ash logs.

Any idea what kind of snake it was? I'm hoping it eats mice and rats for breakfast.

I had 3 black snakes in my wood shed last year. I don't like snakes. I caught a 3.5' one and relocated it about 10 miles away. I grabbed hold of a 5' one and could not hang on. I think he left and took the 3rd one with him because I haven't seen any since then. Everybody says black snakes are good to have around till you catch one, nobody wants it.IMG_0974.JPG IMG_0975.JPG

You just had to post the pic of the turtle. A couple years ago I walked up the hill to my trailer in WV. I wanted to make sure the diveway was clear before I got half way up. I started to pick this guy up and move him, as I reached for him, I thought, Maybe I'll just let him finish what he's doing, Joe.

turtle ****

c
I had 3 black snakes in my wood shed last year. I don't like snakes. I caught a 3.5' one and relocated it about 10 miles away. I grabbed hold of a 5' one and could not hang on. I think he left and took the 3rd one with him because I haven't seen any since then. Everybody says black snakes are good to have around till you catch one, nobody wants it.View attachment 575048 View attachment 575049
cool

I had 3 black snakes in my wood shed last year. I don't like snakes. I caught a 3.5' one and relocated it about 10 miles away. I grabbed hold of a 5' one and could not hang on. I think he left and took the 3rd one with him because I haven't seen any since then. Everybody says black snakes are good to have around till you catch one, nobody wants it.View attachment 575048 View attachment 575049

Black snakes aren't venomous and usually not aggressive.If a person is bitten by one there is a good chance of infection. They (I'm told) will run off venomous snakes.

That would take care of annoying rodents.

That would take care of annoying rodents.
That's why I'm leaving Speedy alone. He (or she) looks to be a good mouser. I think Speedy is almost full grown. I'm still amazed that he shows little fear. I suppose his only enemy around here is man and a red-tail hawk. The closest bald eagle is five miles away. Dogs might take a shot at him.

Interesting, if somewhat wandering thread.

1. Here on the west coast the black widows have the red hourglass on their belly, had 'em everywhere when I live in the Great Central Valley. Now I live at 4000' and there aren't any.

2. That picture is a Triumph TR3 most likely. Could be a TR2, but I would have to see the grill.

3. My first car was a '59 MGA convertible, my dad's $350 answer to the Jag XK120 I really wanted. That car taught me patience and how to work on cars. It also taught me that the English don't know how to build cars.

4. I LIKE snakes, they're some of the coolest animals God ever created. Out here, even the rattlesnakes are laid back. You don't bother them, they won't bother you.

Some days I rather miss the rattle snakes in California and Oregon because they generally leave you alone and are pretty good at warning you they are there. Now I live in NC where the poisonous snakes don't warn you I have already had a run in with a copperhead but my brush cutter handled that situation for me.

Latest posts

Back