Suspenders-

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GRTimberCO

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
I've been streaming old episodes of Axe Men at work (shhhhh... don't tell the IT guys) in the mornings while I have to take phone calls. I figure it's good research for understanding some of the Yay-hoos and some of the junk that goes on around here. What's the deal with everybody in the NW wearing suspenders? I'm just wondering is it a regional thing or does it serve a unique purpose in way y'all log. I'm a belt guy myself and I'd venture the vast majority of folks around here are aswell. I tried suspenders on a tool belt one time when I framed houses and they didn't make it until the first break at 9 o'clock. I didn't like the pull on my shoulders. As a matter of fact I threw away a pair of the Baileys Wild Ass Jeans as soon as I got a good excuse mainly because the suspender buttons were eating my waste up under my belt. When they got a little mildew smelling one summer... in the trash they went. What's the benifit of the suspenders?

Last edited:
They hold your pants up.

Especially if you wear a work belt with a wedge pouch and maybe an ax holster and have your Spencer tape attached to your pants... Your pants will sag at the waist at the end of the day; even more so in sweaty summers.

They hold up my wedge belt. Without them it falls off my ass pretty quick. Fully loaded my wedge belt with axe is something like 14lbs.

Yes. Rigging pants are all the rage here. You want them to be loose, so you can move around unrestricted.
We have to contort a lot here, especially in the brush. (brush is fell and buck) Think of it as being comparable to a Yoga session. Since the pants are big, they need to be held up, and a belt won't do it--theres too much stuff carried in pockets.

The shoulders get used to it. They come in a style with D things on them so if you are a faller, you can hook a whistle up to them without using a safety pin.

If you wear the Loggers World suspenders and are short, the suspenders will only say Logge Worl.

Belts-
I've been streaming old episodes of This old House before work in the mornings while I'm waiting for the crew bus. I figure it's good research for understanding some of the Yay-hoos in townand some of the junk that goes on there. What's the deal with everybody in the city wearing belts? I'm just wondering is it a regional thing or does it serve a unique purpose in way you do whatever it is you do. I'm a suspender guy myself and I'd venture the vast majority of folks around here are aswell. I tried a belt on one time and they didn't make it until the first break at 9 o'clock.Wait a minute I don't get a break at 9 o'clock! I didn't like pulling my pants up continually and not being able to move.. As a matter of fact I threw away a pair of the tight Ass Jeans as soon as I got a good excuse mainly because the belt was eating my waste up under my belt. When they got alittle tacky lube on them... in the trash they went. What's the benifit of the belt:msp_biggrin:?

Belts-
I've been streaming old episodes of This old House before work in the mornings while I'm waiting for the crew bus. I figure it's good research for understanding some of the Yay-hoos in townand some of the junk that goes on there. What's the deal with everybody in the city wearing belts? I'm just wondering is it a regional thing or does it serve a unique purpose in way you do whatever it is you do. I'm a suspender guy myself and I'd venture the vast majority of folks around here are aswell. I tried a belt on one time and they didn't make it until the first break at 9 o'clock.Wait a minute I don't get a break at 9 o'clock! I didn't like pulling my pants up continually and not being able to move.. As a matter of fact I threw away a pair of the tight Ass Jeans as soon as I got a good excuse mainly because the belt was eating my waste up under my belt. When they got alittle tacky lube on them... in the trash they went. What's the benifit of the belt:msp_biggrin:?

That's pretty good. I was thinking last night about a couple other guys I knew that wore suspenders. Lets see, there's Tonto the rodeo clown, Chico the rodeo clown, Guru the rodeo clown, Larry King, New Kids on the Block, Freddie Mercury and these guys ‪Do The Urkel Dance‬‏ - YouTube View attachment 190514

I think these are the only suspenders I've seen that I'd like to try on View attachment 190515

I'll give the same answer that I gave one of the guy's that works for me.
He asked why I wore suspenders, and should he get some.
I told him that if he had to ask why, he obviously didn't need them. He must have considered that as some kind of insult because the next week he showed up wearing suspenders.

Personally, I like forestryworks reply the best. :laugh:

Andy

Saggin' is not a good thing in the woods. I overheard a crew conversation about a guy who wouldn't wear suspenders and was sagging. They were going to fire him if he wore his city pants again. The hooktender said, "I told him NOBODY needs that much room."

Well, of course tough guys wear suspenders, don't they?

sukkanauhat.jpg

No, no, no, suspenders are for your socks. Or stockings, if you prefer.

At first I laughed hard as I saw the title. Are we discussing suspenders on the logging and forestry forum? Well, then I got it, it must be braces we are talking about.

A minor cultural thing, you know. What do you call them things keeping the socks up?

Anyway, suspenders are a hilarious subject, especially men wearing them.

Hell, my SIP chainsaw trousers alone are sorta heavy, let alone if I add anything to the rig. Remember, those folks in those videos have on OSHA approved chainsaw trousers. I think suspenders are a necessity.

I like my Welch's the best of anything. I have a pair that has leather straps at the bottom for adjusting but I don't care for them mainly because they have a piece of leather that rub the center of my back. Only downfall to suspenders for me is I sweat a lot and they get pretty ripe quickly.

If I was cutting all the time, I'd be all about the Key loggers 4 inches too big and the suspenders; chips just fall through the pants and out around the boots. With a belt you get the things caught in your midsection whether your shirt is tucked in or not. Since I don't cut all the time, I favor either BDU's or Nomex because both are tough and don't snag easily, and both are quick-drying. BDU's are cheap, and I don't mind getting paint on 'em. Nomex is tougher and also flame-resistant, and wearing it means I don't have to change pants when I get a fire call. I wear BDU's all winter because that's when I'm painting the most but carry 'em in the truck during the summer. I used to like to buy old-guy pants at Goodwill for a buck, pound bachelor buttons into 'em, hang 'em from my old Husky 'spenders, and wear 'em 'til they frayed above my knees. Only reason I gave that up is because I discovered that BDU's don't snag and haven't looked back since. Now I'm thinking "what about BDU's 2 sizes too big with 'spenders?" That might just be the ticket.

I have a pair of Keys, and I have a pair of Big Bens. The Key jeans were less expensive and are wearing better. The Big Bens have woosie pockets which have developed holes in them. I need to make a couple of pocket protectors or glue something to patch them. They wore out in an unsewable spot. The pocket fabric in the Big Bens is not up to my standards--able to hold keys, multitool, chapstick, lighter, earplugs, etc....

I like the Y back suspenders. We round girls need suspenders for the woods too. Unfortunately. :(

x backs went out with powdered wigs, and clips are for farmers and/or grandpas

I wear X-backs. Black ones with button fasteners from Welch. I like them. They hold up my baggy black pants. I also have a pair of red clip-ons that are a permanent part of my ensemble...they hold my chaps up without having to resort to the contortions required to fasten that stupid buckle every time. Matter of fact, the buckle got replaced with heavy duty Velcro. I kept the red clips on, though. Makes the chaps ride exactly where you want them.

I'm also a grandfather. I've been a farmer.

I was going to try wig powder once but a friend of mine from Whitefish said that the only people who knew anything about wig powder or were prone to using it, were from Kalispell. I don't know a lot about Montana but he seemed to think that being a wig-powdered citizen of Kalispell was the social equivalent to being the third assistant skimmer at the local sewer treatment plant. I didn't want to be mistaken for either one so I passed on the wig powder. And the wig, too, for that matter. You, of course may powder your wig to your heart's content.

Have a nice day, Sonny. Grandpa.

Latest posts

Back