Swamp crossing road

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Sounds like he'll be fine. They've got him admitted for observation overnight but don't think anything will come of it.

His wife got her hair cut before going to the hospital to relieve my wife from staying with him. I should've let her walk under a tree I was falling when I had the chance. She just wandered out on the road when I was expanding it. Silly me, I actually chewed her out for that instead of telling her where to stand so it'd be a direct hit. :angry:

Made a little video after getting the grinder back together.

The jump cut was from pausing to back the tractor up.

All the road stumps are gone, and I've started cleaning up the garden. Hopefully my neck cooperates and I can get things situated to move the cargo container Monday. :)

Dropped the last of the pinch point trees today and erased the stumps with the grinder. Then did some grading to prep for my cargo container's relocation in the morning. Then drove my truck up the hill for the first time. :)

I'm pretty darn happy right now.

20150921_193114.jpg

This week was a little more eventful than I wanted. The "surgeon" who moved my container into the in-laws yard between two cedar fence posts 9' wide in a single un-aided shot; quit to work for a different towing outfit unbeknownst to me. And they didn't tell me that when I specifically asked for him Monday. :mad: They sent out a one month rookie and after walking the whole trip making sure I didn't overlook anything and making sure the driver (who I didn't know was a noob yet) was cool with the project and the hill - he refused my offer to spot him through the swamp (the swamp road was barely wide enough in a couple spots), and then promptly drove off the side 20' from dry ground. :dumb2:

20150922_100058.jpg

Then his boss showed up and promptly drove off the edge in reverse at mach 3, and got stuck too. Then started calling the noob retarded for agreeing to take the truck over my road. Umm, excuse me? We had a 42,000# tandem dump on that road you jackwagon! :rolleyes:

20150922_103537.jpg

So after getting the little tow truck un-stuck, we decided to take the container off and try to pull the flatbed forward with my tractor (which was inland of the swamp).

20150922_113634.jpg

Which worked, sort of.

20150922_124717.jpg

20' cargo container's work great as a drag. :laugh:

20150922_124721.jpg

With the container off, we still couldn't budge the flatbed, so they called in another driver with a class 8 wrecker.

20150922_141926.jpg

But that thing's winches were mostly shot, and jumping teeth more than pulling cable. It took a lot of monkeying to get the flatbed up out of the swamp. After all the jockeying to get the container off, and trying to use the stinger to assist in lifting it up and out, the shoulder was pretty well mashed into the soup and the truck had sunk down over the culvert even more.

20150922_150853.jpg

Eventually we did pull the rear end up onto the crown, and got the front axel out of the hole it was in. The big wrecker couldn't drag it back any further because it was about to rip the DPF off the tailpipe. That's when we tried pulling it with the tractor again, and that actually worked great!

So once we got it un-stuck, both me and the flatbed drove up the hill to the garden, then I went back down and fixed up the road a bit so he could drive the truck back out. This time, I guided him. ;) No problem! But what was tight before was now really tight. My culvert is wrecked. :(

20150922_161946.jpg

And the container isn't on the correct side of the swamp either. The big wrecker guy said he'd come move it tomorrow after work for free before he left Tuesday night. Wednesday morning I assessed the damages with a clear head, and called my tailings guy (who I expected to be in Texas at his hunting lease) - he was still here, and he brought me two more loads before quitting for the day. :rock:

20150923_172118.jpg

It was 5:21 when they left after I talked with him about the culvert and how to go about fixing it proper. I walked in the door at 7:49 after all the tailings were spread. Fortunately I have kick ass LED auxiliary lights on my tractor and had no trouble working when the sun set. I didn't get any pics of the newly widened and straightened swamp road, but it's much nicer now. I've been holding off on bringing more tailings in until I start selling some wood. Seems like money just vaporizes these days, so I've been trying to limit expenses until I have better cash flow.

I did shoot a quick video driving from the garden to the street while waiting for Scott to bring my fill, so you can see how much wider the road is inside the swamp now after I got the stumps ground out. I need to decide the best way to make the turn from the shelf the garden is on, up yet another hill, to where my house is going. Either I follow the atv trail (seen just to the right at the very beginning of this video) around a slight dog leg, or I blaze a new path through a patch of poor growing aspen that are mostly dead and knocked over. But at least now I have somewhere to dump and burn the slash. :) I also need to clear out the turn-out at the inside edge of the swamp road. I'll need more room to get a semi aimed up the hill than we have now. That won't be a problem for a while yet. No semi's are hauling wood for me. I'll be using that C65 Chevy to pull a trailer to haul wood to the mill.

Tuesday was pretty expensive for the tow company, and I'm not sure what resolution we'll have about the culvert. They haven't contacted me about it yet (which is disappointing), but Scott said to give them the chance to fix it. He seems to have a good opinion about the outfit, and I trust his judgment on folks up there (he's been spot-on in every case we've discussed). I'm headed back up there shortly, and get to put vinyl siding on a shed that should be demolished for my FIL - but he's paying me and he's sentimental on the old shack so I'm going to do it right for him. And of course, hopefully seeing the container to it's new home would be nice. :)

Thanks for looking at my thread, and for the kind words guys.

That Friday, true to his word, the Class 8 driver and another skilled driver came back and we got the container up the hill and into position despite some mud from 2 days of rain that week (we winched the flatbed up the hill).

And then on Sunday I got a call that the same two were en route with my new culvert and a rental mini-ex.

So Sunday afternoon the three of us dug out the damaged culvert and put in the new one.

Only cost me my 2 loads of tailings, that I would've bought eventually anyway.

20150927_132046.jpg

It's nice having the container up the hill where it belongs. :)

20150926_144353.jpg

Nice to see there's still some people left in the world who will own their screw ups and put it right. Hope you look after and use them again.

The employees took it upon themselves to fix the noobie's damage. The owner (guy who stuck the F650) wouldn't talk about it all week when Ben asked (Class 8 Volvo guy). So Ben and Robert used their company credit cards to collectively force the owner to fix it.

I haven't talked to Ben since emailing him some pics from the repair and stuck International, but he's still got his job, and so does noobie. Turns out Ben just lives around the block from me - which is still about 13 miles away. :D

You're right though. I was grateful to not have to go to lengths to get this fixed. Those guys are good in my book. **** happens; how you deal with it matters more to me in the end.

Liking this thread..

Awesome you have the driveway in.. the payoff in the end will be great once you have your homestead back there. When I was looking for land I learned how much driveways like that can cost.

Are you planning to run electric across that swamp, or go off grid?

I'll have the power company plant a pole on the inside of the swamp, and I'll install a transformer to bump my 240v up to 600v and run the remaining 700' up to where the house and shop will go, then another transformer (or two) to drop it back down there.

What's sad is that I'm 1/2 mile from 3ph industrial power, which would be awesome with my current needs and future plans - but the cost to run those extra two wires across the neighbors lots would never be recovered or even justified. I could run a generator for the rest of my life for the price of stringing those wires that distance.

Single phase will cost $750 per pole, $7.50/ft, and $5,800 for the transformer. Distribution is at 10Kv, and they won't let me meter at that, so I have to be at 240v at my connection which is the reason for stepping up right away.

I'm not sure if I'll bury my lines or string them tree to tree yet. I'm not paying $750 for more than one pole. :eek:

I mistyped and got this heart I can't delete via android. :heart::cry: :laugh:

Last video of the season. Sorry the sound sucks. I didn't know the engine would be louder than my voice for most of it.

The grounds a bit lumpy yet, but I could probably drive my truck up to where the video starts.

Thanks Dan! It was quite the year for my Northern woodlot.

The two neighbors who've been a royal pain in my butt since the purchase agreement was signed (they wanted my property but never took the initiative to contact the owner like I did) have finally figured out I can make things worse for them than they can for me; and there's strong evidence they're done trying. :numberone: Their "last stand" was trying to fight my road permit last spring which resulted in 14 letters of objection to granting it, and I still got it without any resistance from the county. Even recently, the guy who's called the county on me every year since my trail permit was issued to "make sure I was still legal" backed down when confronted by me about being a hypocrite on the lake association's fb page. He used to be good for a full blown 3yr old's quality tantrum in years past. :popcorn2: I don't know what I'll do not having to look over my shoulder anymore. I've gotten kinda used to the little rat bastage and his yippie dog-like persistence. Pushing his buttons was almost a sport since he was always wound so tight. :laugh:

I've also been in touch with the tow company. Noobie still has his job and still makes dumb mistakes, but I guess he's pretty good on the routine calls. Ben and Robert also still work there, and the owner still leery as ever about my property. :lol: I asked for a quote to haul in a 45' HC container and never did get a bid back. The owner said Ben had to check it out first before he'd send another truck in. :D

I haven't been up there since around Thanksgiving. I'm hoping to get some wood cut next week though.

I had two areas about 100' each that were always wet and mucky.I had a bulldozer push out the stumps,then corduroyed two layers of logs.I covered the logs with felt and then 6" of pit run.I'm letting it settle and
compact then I'll add about 4" of lime gravel.Last fall we had about 4" of rain at once and it was flowing really well through the corduroy,So I should have good drainage.001.JPG 001.JPG

All seems well under the snow so far. The town's culvert is frozen again, so the water level is presently elevated. I let them know, so they should have the steam crew out soon.

When the thaw comes is when the real assessment can happen. I have no idea what shifted or stayed since the top froze over.

Sure is nice driving across in my truck. :D

We had a really mild winter this year and the lake is starting to melt good in the narrow sections. The township did clear the culvert back in Feb so my water level is normal. I haven't done any frost checks in the swamp yet, but the surface of the tailings is looking good so far. It's a little lumpier than I left it in the fall, but I couldn't have asked for much better survival given how bad the frost heaves the asphalt out in front of my place.

I still need a few more loads to give proper protection to my culverts for heavy use - it's in plenty good enough condition to keep driving my F350 and tractor over.

I'm rather pleased with this one right now. :)

We had a really mild winter this year and the lake is starting to melt good in the narrow sections. The township did clear the culvert back in Feb so my water level is normal. I haven't done any frost checks in the swamp yet, but the surface of the tailings is looking good so far. It's a little lumpier than I left it in the fall, but I couldn't have asked for much better survival given how bad the frost heaves the asphalt out in front of my place.

I still need a few more loads to give proper protection to my culverts for heavy use - it's in plenty good enough condition to keep driving my F350 and tractor over.

I'm rather pleased with this one right now. :)
So you should be. Every time you roll over it, it's like giving the neighbours the one finger salute. A gift that keeps on giving.

Pffttt... I couldn't care less about them these days. I'm back to focusing on what I want/need to get accomplished and will deal with them as encountered moving forward.

Everytime they leave their driveways, they see my stump pile - that's my gesture for their courtesy. ;) It's gonna keep growing too. :D I've got lots of ground to clear.

Latest posts

Back