Sycamore anthracnose

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JJohnson

Reaction score
Is a large sycamore with sycamore anthracnose (diagnosed by state extension service) necessarily "beyond saving" in its first year of defoliation? It put out leaves this spring; the earliest ones were full size, but the later ones smaller. Pretty much all had fallen off by August. New shoots appeared throughout the summer on the trunk and in the crown, but those leaves also died. Arborists here seem more interested in cutting it down than injecting it with Arbotect or trying any other treatment. Does anyone have experience with this disease? This is our only large tree, and we really don't want to lose it!

You may want to also post this on the rainbow tree science forum. their products have been used on anthracnose.

Arbotect will only prevent the twig deformation aspect of Sycamore Anthracnose as I understand from Tom Prosser, VP of Rainbow Tree Care. In our experiences with this fungal disease on leaves it is very spuratic. It may be severe one season, causing defoliation, and minor or un-noticeable the next.

If your climate enables this disease to be severe every season, spray treatments and trunk injection may be the route to take. Some factors that would determine treatment type include the trees size (whether or not it can be treated with a spray fungicide application), cost of all of the treatments over the next few years, and what the trees value is on your property.

All of these items could be determined by an arborist that promotes himself as a plant health technician or a consultant. If preservation is your intent, I would recommend asking around to find a company focused on tree preservation. If we were closer to Maryland, we love this type of work. Keep an ear open for the right company.

I have not heard of Cambistat being effective in any control of Sycamore Anthracnos. I've only heard of growth regulation as a benefit. Tom P. had mentioned they were getting what appeared to be control of apple scab on crab trees but that ended up being disproved by further research.

It would be worth contacting Rainbow to see if any of those products have been proved effective against foliar anthracnose on Sycamore. Around here I'm not sre anyone treats Sycamore for foliar anthracnose or at least not on the very large ones.

We've been treating Sycamore Anthracnose with Arbotect for 15 yrs or so. In my opinion you do get foliar control, particularly in the first year.

Might not be the best thread to ask this question......
I did a bad thing yesterday. I climbed a sycamore about ten getting up and cut the top right out. High stumped it. The owner wanted that for solar panel install. She did not want it completely removed and said it will bounce right back, sending new growth this spring . Is that true ? I feel like I butchered it. This tree has anthracnose. Will it live? Is there something I can do this winter?

Might not be the best thread to ask this question......
I did a bad thing yesterday. I climbed a sycamore about ten getting up and cut the top right out. High stumped it. The owner wanted that for solar panel install. She did not want it completely removed and said it will bounce right back, sending new growth this spring . Is that true ? I feel like I butchered it. This tree has anthracnose. Will it live? Is there something I can do this winter?

She's (you) going to be fighting watersprouts for the rest of her living days.

Sycamores have been pollarded for centuries, so can handle a severe pruning.
The use of pollarding as a arboricultural technique is heavily argued on this board, however it is an accepted technique (if properly maintained). The oldest living trees in England are pollards.

Back