Synthetic winch rope question.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mustang71

Addicted to ArboristSite
AS Supporting Member.
Reaction score
Any one use it? How does it hold compared to steel cable? I'm looking to guide a few leaning trees down to the direction I want them. Not pull them down just put a little strain on them while I cut. I've used nylon rope but it stretches a lot.

Basically for 40 dollars I can get 100 ft of 5/16 steel cable or 100 ft of 1/4 winch rope.

Yea from what I've been reading it doesn't snap like a cable. A 100 foot cable breaking while I'm cutting or other person is winching could be deadly. Id like a nice 1 inch rope but they are not cheap and usually I don't need a rope.

Samson Amsteel is $1.50/ft. for 5/16", $2.30/ft. for 3/8" and $3.90/ft. for 1/2" and like all of these Dyneema lines, it's expensive for a reason.
5/16" = 13,700 LBS. AVG BS
3/8" = 19,600 LBS. AVG BS
1/2" = 34,000 LBS. AVG BS

Those are pretty impressive breaking strength figures, considering the diameters.

It's good stuff. Very lightweight, very strong, very easy to work with. Also, very easy to splice without any special tools.

Just a come along to hold the tension. Like I said I just want to put some stress on it while I cut not pull it down. I've done ok with cheap harbor freight rope but I don't like the stretch and there's not much strenght

i use rope tho my chipper winch weekly to pull trees its great flexible strong easy to work,,, get a chain choker to save end wear or just dont worry if its 1 buck a yard

View attachment 594534

Good to hear. I'd like a nice rope because steel cable always seems to be dangerous and a pain to work with.

Samson Amsteel is $1.50/ft. for 5/16", $2.30/ft. for 3/8" and $3.90/ft. for 1/2" and like all of these Dyneema lines, it's expensive for a reason.
5/16" = 13,700 LBS. AVG BS
3/8" = 19,600 LBS. AVG BS
1/2" = 34,000 LBS. AVG BS

Those are pretty impressive breaking strength figures, considering the diameters.

It's good stuff. Very lightweight, very strong, very easy to work with. Also, very easy to splice without any special tools.

You beat me to it, Gu,,that is what I would suggest
Jeff

What rope are you looking at? Stretch all depends on construction and materials.
Check out samson stablebraid or new england sta-set for a lower stretch rope.
Stretch can be a really good thing if you use it to your advantage, I use polydyne alot in pulling trees over. Samson true blue is a 12 strand and will stretch like a rubber band. Super durable amd pretty inexpensive

So what are u recommending for rope to guide a leaning tree in the right direction? I have one tree in mind but more to come. Some stretch is ok with no breaking.
You said you didn't like stretching ropes. Just letting you know rigging rope is designed to have stretch. the idea is that you tie off a big piece of wood, cut it and let it drop so the rope catches it. You WANT stretch in your rope when that happens. Kinda like bungee jumping. If you tried that with a non-stretching rope, your lower legs would still be tied in while the rest of you is on the ground.

If you are looking for a rope to just pull, I'd want something with little or no stretch. I want it to pull when I say pull. With stretch in the rope, you have to get that out before it pulls on the other end.

That's a bit broad and over generalized.
Not all rigging ropes are stretchy or designed just for negative blocking. Just like climb lines, some are more static than others. You need to look at construction, materials, and manufacturers specs.

Latest posts

Back