T540xp muffler mod

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

greengreer

ArboristSite Operative
AS Supporting Member.
Reaction score
Finally getting.around to muffler modding the 540, a bit of a pain to get the muffler out...

A question for those that have done this:
Did you simply enlarge the hole under the deflector or did you modify the baffle too?
I don't mind loud for the sake of power, but I don't want loud for the sake of loud.
I would experiment with this but being that the saw is practically built around the muffler I'd rather not be taking it off again any time soon.
Any advice is much appreciated.

Yea, they're not exactly user friendly when it comes time to wrench on them.

So, ever modded one? As someone who's done alot of muffler mods, what are your thoughts on the baffle?

I drilled a 1/4" hole in the baffle then opened it up to about 3/8"-7/16" with a dremel, then opened up under the deflector a decent bit.
The saw is snappier and has a bit more grunt buried in hardwoods. also the muffler doesn't feel as hot on the leg when hanging from the saddle after a long cut.
I could probably have done more on the outlet and may end up making the hole a bit bigger.

For anyone that wants to get the muffler out on their 540:
Remove recoil and air injection cover
Remove clutch and grey plastic cover behind it.
Remove bottom bolt and then spring for handlebar. I removed the whole bar but you could probably get away without undoing the top bolt.
Remove two muffler bolts.
Pry the bottom grey plastic housing a bit and wiggle the muffler out from the deflector end.

Back