Tachometer

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
For the umpteenth time:

I use a DTI-20K Tech Tach, costs about $100 clams. They also make the Tiny Tach that is good for the same price. They are both wireless tachs. I have had my DTI tach for I dunno, 5 or 6 years now? Always works. Digital readout, also stores the peak RPM. Battery can be changed. I re-tune all my saws a lot using it.

Has anyone tried the smartphone apps with an "old" phone that doesn't have a service.
I could easily see dear old mr Jobs mandating a monthly check-in or the iphone quits working.
So I would really try to stay away from his products.

A lot of IFs here:
I just haven't kept up with cell phones and all of the gotchas they might have built into nowdays.

My question here is IF I could scrounge a used phone and assuming that I could download and transfer the tachometer app over to the phone
would it still work?
OR is the app a frikin "ET ware" that's tied to a live phone service and wont work if it cant "phone home"
My broke a## finally scrounged a couple of (un-broken) laptops last year and nearly every-bleepin-thing has been shifted to cellphones now.....argh!

Do cellphones have the right circuity to detect spark pulses? I wonder if a tach app for phones just "listens" to the engine through the mic and tries to interpolate that to an rpm? I really have no idea, but now I'm curious.

Do cellphones have the right circuity to detect spark pulses? I wonder if a tach app for phones just "listens" to the engine through the mic and tries to interpolate that to an rpm? I really have no idea, but now I'm curious.
Yeah ,the phone just captures the audio. I think someone else on here mentioned the software having a bandpass function to help filter a lot of the extraneous racket and help find the exhaust pulse more reliably.

Have you checked it's accuracy against something a little more legit? I hate to say more expensive is more legit but you know what I'm getting at here.

I first got a SIC RF-4 very cheaply and took it into my local dealer and asked if they would compare it to one of theirs and it and was pretty close to the lead mechanics Snap On one. It is very close to my EDT-8 as well. It also can be fitted with a telescopic antenna like the lead wrenches Snap-on one

drehzahlmesser-sic-rf4-99-203-0.jpg

she-ta100lg.jpg

I first got a SIC RF-4 very cheaply and took it into my local dealer and asked if they would compare it to one of theirs and it and was pretty close to the lead mechanics Snap On one. It is very close to my EDT-8 as well. It also can be fitted with a telescopic antenna like the lead wrenches Snap-on one

drehzahlmesser-sic-rf4-99-203-0.jpg

she-ta100lg.jpg
Can't find that anywhere on Google.

Can't find that anywhere on Google.
I am not seeing much on it either it is Made in Italy IIRC What I liked was it ran off a 9 volt battery so I could change it easily. I would a few links from German sites but the price is 3-4 times what the edt-8 sells for . I think the cheap ones would be fine as long as they are fairly accurate. Do what I did and visit someone in the trade and see if they can spare a few mins and run it against theirs.

After reading up on tach's here on AS. I went with the DTI-20k. Has may good reviews, made in the USA. Have used it to retune all my sleds, and saws. Compaired reading to another motor I have with a factor tach, and it reads dead on with that one. Very happy with it. Check them out at tinytach.com

Has anyone tried the smartphone apps with an "old" phone that doesn't have a service.
I could easily see dear old mr Jobs mandating a monthly check-in or the iphone quits working.
So I would really try to stay away from his products.

A lot of IFs here:
I just haven't kept up with cell phones and all of the gotchas they might have built into nowdays.

My question here is IF I could scrounge a used phone and assuming that I could download and transfer the tachometer app over to the phone
would it still work?
OR is the app a frikin "ET ware" that's tied to a live phone service and wont work if it cant "phone home"
My broke a## finally scrounged a couple of (un-broken) laptops last year and nearly every-bleepin-thing has been shifted to cellphones now.....argh!
Tried a tach app out and tested it against my photo laser tach. Good news is it kept right along with my photo tach when applying the throttle, from 6000 RPMs to 13000+, but it couldn't find idle speed, at idle it was erratic between 4500 and 2500. So no good at idle but right on with throttle. Good news is I should be able to get rpms in the cut, not really possible with the photo tach. So with both TACHS combined I have the equivalent of an edt8. Also the app was free.

Back