tailgate chainsaw sharpening

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Daniel,

I was taught that files, particularly the fine chainsaw type, don't sharpen on the pull stroke. It appears you're dragging across the cutter which actually dulls the file and wears it out more quickly. Only the push stroke actually sharpens the cutter. Just sayin'. Take care, Treetom.
Of course they don't sharpen on the pull stroke.. The back stroke is not intended to sharpen, and there is no pressure on the file during the backstroke. Please site your source for stating the backdrag dulls the file.. I have not noticed this..

That was a good vid Murph showing the improper way to sharpen a chain. I don't know how a saw could even begin to cut good by the way your a showing how to file a chain.

STOP acting like you know what you're talking about.. That goes for Rickey too.. Hey Rick.. if you want to see an idiot in action.. just watch the one with the guy that puts so much pull on the line that the saw pinches in the notch cut, and then he cracks the tree before the hinge goes.. As if that's not stupid enough, then the guy goes and puts the video up on youtube to show that he can drop a tree through an opening in a fence..

STOP acting like you know what you're talking about.. That goes for Rickey too.. Hey Rick.. if you want to see an idiot in action.. just watch the one with the guy that puts so much pull on the line that the saw pinches in the notch cut, and then he cracks the tree before the hinge goes.. As if that's not stupid enough, then the guy goes and puts the video up on youtube to show that he can drop a tree through an opening in a fence..

Did it not go where it was suppost to? Clown. Your the biggest laughing stock on both sites. Why is that? Clown Who shakes a woman's hand like that....really? Goof! Maybe if you did some work you could build up your tiny arms. Little different when you can't even sharpen a saw properly.

Did it not go where it was suppost to? Clown. Your the biggest laughing stock on both sites. Why is that? Clown Who shakes a woman's hand like that....really? Goof! Maybe if you did some work you could build up your tiny arms. Little different when you can't even sharpen a saw properly.

You are too ignorant to understand how dangerous that was, especially on ash... as such you have no business critiquing anything I do...

I'll be offering tailgate chainsaw sharpening services next time I am up in Wayne, Dan.....
$.50 a tooth.

Hehe, just kidding...but this thread sure has gone farther than I thought.:popcorn:

I can understand the tendency to want to back drag. When I first started filing, it was easier to keep your angle. With a file guide, I still pull my file back but I will back the file off of the edge so no part of the file is in contact with the cutter. Just the file guide sliding on top of the raker and the cutter. I've noticed that when I do it this way my files seem to last longer.

When I square file (no guide) I will pseudo back drag but only the weight of the file keeps it in contact. I'll let go with the rest of my fingers and only keep my middle finger and thumb on the file handle.

There you go Fool even the youngen's aren't learnin from ya! Clown, guess what let me know when your in my neck of the woods and I'll show up forsure. Niagara Falls or do you have a nother spot where I can show you whats up Clown. Guess what this is the guy that will meet up with you;I ll meet with you and show you whats up..

Just look at the avatar from ********. HOW PATHETIC IS THAT...F%#in Clown... Tell me When....GOOF"""'"'''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''',,

STOP acting like you know what you're talking about..

What is the matter?? I must have ruffled your feathers a little bit. Is that it??? Besides, how do you know if I know what I am talking about or not. It doesn't seem to matter what I or anyone else on this site says you are doing everything right and the rest of us are doing things wrong.

Go back and look at the video. You have one close up shot of your filing , you are not even hitting the the top plate of the cutter. There are other things I could point out besides the back dragging of the file but I am not going to get into it because no matter what I say or anyone else says your going to say we are wrong.

Last edited:
You arbo's are funny.

You even argue differently than loggers. You could teach my 10 year old niece a thing or two about insecure cattiness.
:chatter:
:msp_tongue:

That video was unusually painful to watch and for the 1st time listen too as well , The sound of that file being drug across that cutter backwards just gives me the chills and wanna hold my ears , but anymore thats becoming the norm for A MURPHABLE VIDEO :wink2:

OK I confess I haven't watched the video, being out in the boonies means that even with DSL you still have to be particular about what you want to watch.

That said, I don't file anymore, I use a dremel with the chainsharp attachment. probably costs a tiny bit more than files but not much and for me anyway a LOT faster. If you use saws a lot, you really owe it to yourself to invest $30 for a dremel and the "chainsharp" attachment, IMHO.

Also, if you still use a file get a piece of PVC pipe and glue a cap on one end and fill it with baseball diamond marking lime, or carpenter chalk-line chalk, and dip your file in that. Put another cap on the other end of the tube when you are done. The file cuts better/faster and lasts longer.

back dragging is negligible. if it hurts your ears that bad, i don't even know how u run a saw lol. i "back drag" every time i file, never hurt any files i ever used. its sillyness to even rag on a guy for his particular way of filing. does it work? looks like it. Also for u guys that don't even file anymore cause you want production production production baaaah. its part of the job to maintain your equipment and touch it up during the day to keep that saw blazing. not take 10 minutes to change a chain out when u could have gave it a rub and off u go. we all have ego's, apparently some bigger then others lmao. We are all part of the same team, we're all bushmen, lets have a beer and watch duck dynasty lol

Back