Taking down a large lawn Oak

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jere39

Outdoorsman and Pup
AS Supporting Member.
Reaction score
This was kind of a sad day. One of the large oaks in the middle of my lawn died slowly over the past few years, probably of Oak Wilt.

It's the taller one on the left. Pretty much dead center in my lawn. The other Oak, which sadly is dying too, but not dead yet, offers some protection to the house in case this fall goes about 180° wrong.

P1070443.JPG

I was waiting for a good solid snow pack to take it down, to minimize the damage to my lawn turf. Today was the day.

This oak is about 32" DBH, more than I would tackle with my 18" bar, so a friend with a Stihl MS 362 and a 24" bar came to help.

attachment.php

And, yes, the flippy caps are in fact a PITA. Especially with cold fingers.

You can see even the 24" bar required we cut from each side to get through. You can also see the house there in the back ground, and the notch to drop away from the house. But, in this case, I threw a line up as high as I could get it, then hooked the Come-Along to a sturdy birch tree to apply the appropriate persuasion.

attachment.php

This is an edited down video, to about 1:43. The whole drop took about 30 minutes, and you can see how much the snow fall rate increased while we were working.

You can see and hear the tree snapped once, then kind of hung for a minute till I got the come-along caught up and pulled it down.

Even with it down, I needed the 24" bar to buck the trunk and make the first cut on each of the main limbs.

attachment.php

We cut for another hour, took a lunch break for some home made chilli thanks to the videographer, then back to saw for another tank or two.

Still have plenty to saw, then clean up, but the snow was getting deeper, and I needed to do some plowing.

I also have video of some of the limbing and bucking, but I'll add that to a follow up post.

One last money pose with the director of security:

attachment.php

There will be plenty of firewood in this baby, and plenty of clean up work for me. But, I have the rest of the winter to work on it, and hopefully the snow pack will help me drag the brush off into the woods where I'll stack it into custom small mammal shelters.

Nice tree! That'd be about three afternoon sessions for me milking all those branches out to get to the main trunk.

Nice! Good clean fun, having a problem like that to deal with. Any idea what killed it? I had an oak about that size die. It got struck by lightning - blew off a thin strip of bark right to the ground. Two years later it was completely leafless. Pretty much self delimbed the small branches when it hit the ground due to being so dried out. It was like an explosion. Did that job with a 55 Rancher.... Took me a while, and I smelled like two stroke exhaust for the better part of a week!
Nice dorg, too. Is that an English?

Nice! . . . Any idea what killed it? . . .Nice dorg, too. Is that an English?

I'm pretty sure this tree succumbed to the general Oak Wilt that so many Red Oaks around here are dying of. Sadly, the Oak next to it is dying too. Probably a couple more years, but seriously thinning.

Pup is a French Brittany, he is often confused with an English Springer Spaniel based on his color, but he is only 36lbs, and done growing. He is my partner for everything I do.

Sorry you lost such a majestic tree, but I'm glad you are putting it to good use. Threads don't get much better than this - friends working together, a nice tree, chainsaws, a happy ending, and as a bonus, beautiful snow and a dog.

BTW, doesn't your friend know that a MS362 can't pull a bar that long in hardwood. ;) I know you didn't post to discuss Stihl chainsaws, but seriously, I think your video illustrates both sides of the never ending debate over bar length for the mid-size Stihl: the MS362's power band is clearly more suited to a shorter bar yet it has the guts to adequately pull a 24" (actually a 25") bar. A more powerful saw should have been quicker putting the tree on the ground and might have been more useful if something started to go a muck, but your friend and his saw were up to this task and plenty useful with the work that followed. :)

Thanks for posting.

Ron

Sorry you lost such a majestic tree, but I'm glad you are putting it to good use. Threads don't get much better than this - friends working together, a nice tree, chainsaws, a happy ending, and as a bonus, beautiful snow and a dog.

BTW, doesn't your friend know that a MS362 can't pull a bar that long in hardwood. ;) I know you didn't post to discuss Stihl chainsaws, but seriously, I think your video illustrates both sides of the never ending debate over bar length for the mid-size Stihl: the MS362's power band is clearly more suited to a shorter bar yet it has the guts to adequately pull a 24" (actually a 25") bar. A more powerful saw should have been quicker putting the tree on the ground and might have been more useful if something started to go a muck, but your friend and his saw were up to this task and plenty useful with the work that followed. :)

Thanks for posting.

Ron

Thanks Ron.
And, with all hopes to avoid turning this thread into a debate on chainsaws; My friend does in fact know the 24" bar is not optimal on this saw. He typically runs an 18" bar on this saw. But, he, and I, occasionally encounter a tree too big for that length bar. I know there are many folks who think they could never own too many saws, and really enjoy owning, tuning, running, porting, ... their saw collection. We are not among them. We have not decided that is a wise investment of our hard earned bucks, but have no issue with folks that do. So, instead, and for maybe one big tree per year, he purchased the 24" bar and a pair of chain loops. Like many other folks here, we work with what we have. Again, I have no debate with folks who have saws designed for just about anything they encounter, and on a tree like this, a bigger more appropriate saw would have been appreciated.

Thanks again for your comments, and I know you acknowledged it wasn't a criticism, I appreciate that. I just wanted to clarify, my friend absolutely knew he was extending the capabilities of the saw we had.

It was a great day in the wood, a great bit of weather, and a successful fall and buck of the big end. I still have plenty of work with my Dolmar PS 510 and 18" bar to finish the clean up, then plenty of dragging the brush and stacking it, and finally processing the firewood appropriate stuff and getting it stacked and seasoning for the future. I'll post more pictures as I make progress.

Jere, love all your videos and pics of your working with wood. I do and enjoy the same. One question, what was your technique on getting that rope/chain so high up in that tree. Looks pretty high up, but may not be. I use chains but with the long length like you were pulling, I am thinking of getting some of that amsteel rope, real expensive but light and supposed to be real good stuff. Thanks again for the great videos and photos.

It's a shame you lost that tree, but nice work regardless. What part of PA are you in, and are sure Oak Wilt is there? I'm just asking because the maps I've seen don't show it here in eastern PA. I'm sure it will come - I get so upset when I think of the loss of the ashes and then the oak getting hit with this.

Back