taking equipment to other peoples jobs

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

freeweight

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
im just curious what you guys would charge to take your equipment to other peoples jobs ,things get slow here and there you know

chip-truck with chipper,saws if needed,and wood truck with lift-gate ,I would be with the equipment

there are still some people out there without proper tools and the reason isn't my business but some can get very good jobs...they would not be using ( my ) insurance.

just something I was thinking about and wanted some opinions

You either figure out an hourly rate or some kind of percentage split If you are going to partner up.
Usually if I pull up to chip your brush all I'm going to do is start the chipper and stand there while you and your team drag it over and stick it in.
If you hire a Crane guyto help with a tree, all he will do is run the Crane. period.
So If you hire me to bring out my chipper that's it. Have the brush ready when I get there!

I'm not bringing my saws or ropes because it's NOT my job.

Now when you do get into actually helping with the job you almost have to do some percentage split because YOU end up doing the job. They are usually less equipped & less skilled, otherwise they would have a chipper and wouldn't be still hauling brushn their pick up truck & trailer.

But back to the point I would atleast need $100-150 to come let you use my chipper.
Think of it this way: they are renting
Chipper
Chipper fuel
Chipper truck
Chipper truck fuel
Operator/driver
AND disposal.

So what's that worth for a couple hours?

There is a guy around my area who owns way more equipment than he has a need for and rents it out. I think he will send out a 26K GVW dump with Bandit 1290 for like $350 an hour with a guy to run the chipper. If you had everything stacked and ready to go thats a better deal than renting if you were in a pinch.

there is a guy round here that would bring his truck chipper ,another truck with skid steer AND climb for 1000,and got it on a regular basis ....hes getting bit old to climb now days from what I hear ,I was thinking somewhere between 500 for half a day ,and bill by the hour after thatjust for truck and chipper ,but me running it

Insurance is always a question mark. Basic liability policies don't usually cover rental situations. It gets more complicated if you have employees on someone else's job.

And if your name is on the side of any trucks OSHA will cite you for any safety violations on site wether it's your job or not.

Unless I meet another guy who is honestly a good stand up guy in this business I'll never have my equipment on their job. I busted my but to get what I've got and I didn't get it by underpricing jobs and trying to do stuff I couldn't tackle. Now with all that said these guys that want my help usually price a 1500 dollar tree at 500 so it's hard for them to understand why I might need 1k for a days work with my equipment. .. had a guy come in in my area getting jobs for half what he should have been pricing them. He can't afford a bucket truck and calls me all the time wanting to rent my bucket lol. He bid one under 1k and couldn't climb it ended up renting a lift 3 days at 450 a day... he's needing a employer. The insurance is the main deal breaker for me.

Its almost the norm here in Sydney Australia, guys bring a chipper on an hourly or day rate and there heaps of them to pick from. It benefits both parties-the smaller set up can get an 18inch chipper to come and chip a days work ($1500-$2500) for $300-$500, the guy running the machine can fill his week when his own work is slow.

Back