Talk me into an ms362

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Workin'Rabbit

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
So come springtime I'm finally gonna pull the trigger and get my first brand new saw. I want something that will pull a 25" chain. Stihl is going to be what I go with as they're what I'm most familiar with and also the only dealer that offers support anywhere near me. I'm currently running a 460 , but I don't need that much saw at all. Hell, I really don't NEED a 362 either, but on occasion a 25" bar comes in handy. I'm waffling between the 362 and the 461. My head says "362, it's more than enough saw and it's $300 cheaper" but my adrenal gland says "461, it's big and mean and chews through wood like a pi$$ed off beaver". Oh, and the wife is no help as she told me to get whatever I wanted lol. Really leaning toward the 362, but still WANTING the 461.

So come springtime I'm finally gonna pull the trigger and get my first brand new saw. I want something that will pull a 25" chain. Stihl is going to be what I go with as they're what I'm most familiar with and also the only dealer that offers support anywhere near me. I'm currently running a 460 , but I don't need that much saw at all. Hell, I really don't NEED a 362 either, but on occasion a 25" bar comes in handy. I'm waffling between the 362 and the 461. My head says "362, it's more than enough saw and it's $300 cheaper" but my adrenal gland says "461, it's big and mean and chews through wood like a pi$$ed off beaver". Oh, and the wife is no help as she told me to get whatever I wanted lol. Really leaning toward the 362, but still WANTING the 461.
461 can do more bodily damage. Too soon?

Sent from my SM-N900P using Tapatalk

Are you a PRO logger? If not then what are you cutting mostly and how often do you cut/
I use 50cc saws most of the time now and have a 362 I use mostly for the few bigger trees, its smooth and powerful enough for them. I do have multiples of 044,Ms440, 460, 066,MS660, 070 and 090 saws but really don`t use them for any serious cutting. Mostly depends on the size and type of wood that needs cutting.

First, I'm going to need you to turn in your man card to @beerbelly for a 30 day suspension. No more asking your wife about saws...

If you have a 460, and aren't a pro, you're probably good to go on big stuff, right? Unless you plan to sell it and upgrade. Which leaves us with finding a saw to fill out your arsenal. Do you have a small saw? 40-50cc? If so, then a 60cc may make sense. If not, something light weight may be more welcome. And finally, what are you cutting?

I was not overly impressed with the 362. I liked the feel of the 461 better but didn't get to run it. Hard for anyone to convince you. Your needs and usage will be the biggest factors. I end up using smaller saws a lot more then my bigger saws so I make sure to have good small saws.
If I where sticking with stihl I would look real hard at the 241 but then again that is for my needs.

Just a firewood hack, with plenty of big saws and nice size oaks to buck, who reaches for a 60 cc saw more and more. I have owned two non M 362s. They are fine saws and will adequately pull a 25" bar. I wouldn't recommend that set up for falling, but plenty good for bucking. Two years ago, I "upgraded" to a ported 361 - big difference between the two especially with 20" bars.

Keep the 460 and buy the 362.

Ron

I've heard a few different people say they aren't terribly impressed with the 362. Seems that those who like it REALLY like it. But those don't, REALLY don't. 99.9% sure it's the saw I'm going to go with (I'm intrigued by the 562xp but there is NO dealer support whatsoever near me so I'm gonna hafta shelve that for a while). So for those that have owned or ran a 362, what are it's pros and cons? I've read reviews, and I will certainly run one before purchasing, but I value the opinions here so I'd like to get y'alls thoughts

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using Tapatalk

I just went through this same dilemma with a small difference, I don't have a larger saw nor do I want or think I'll need a larger saw. I'm just a firewood hack and don't fell my own trees, I order logs by the truck load and do my own bucking, splitting etc. My MS250 is good for about 30% of the work, the rest it's too small and slow. The MS362 with a 25" bar handles the other 70% with ability to spare.

As an owner of an MS-362CM and an MS-461 I guess I'm a reasonable person to comment. I am a firewood hack and trim the heck out of things on my farm and others (elderly neighbors).

The MS-461 is just too heavy for most of my cutting. I save it for the special big and hard cuts. I ended up putting it's 25" bar on my MS-362CM. Buried in ~40" of hardwood, even a weakling like me can kill it. If I take my time, it WILL cut full bar width just not quickly. For one or two trees a year like that, the MS-362CM is a reasonable choice. My MS-461 is out being ported as I type this and has a new 32" bar waiting for it to return. :chainsaw:

The MS-461 is NOT a firewood or homeowner saw unless you are cutting cookies for fun on the weekends. Heck, I find I use my Echo CS-361P for things that I really should be on the MS-362CM for. I'm probably going to end up with an MS-241CM or possibly 261 as I find the heavier saws are pretty hard on my body and I'm not getting any younger and healthier either. Plus, that M-tronic stuff from Stihl is very nice.

I really like em. I have 2 362's. Bought 362 cm new and a near new standard 362 just because of awesome deal. Both run and cut great. A coil was only repair. 20" does best. Can run 25 okay but 046 does better. I had previously bought a new 261 std carb but didn't care for it and sold soon. I like running 20 and 25

Sent from my SM-N900P using Tapatalk

I have a ms362.... I had to rebuild mine when I bought it, but she runs great... Mine wears a 20" bar all the time, and there is no hardwood around me that she can't handle with the 20" bar....

Any wood over 20" my ms461 eats up, and yes that saw is awesome....

So I would keep the ms460 and get the new ms261 or the ms362....

As an owner of an MS-362CM and an MS-461 I guess I'm a reasonable person to comment. I am a firewood hack and trim the heck out of things on my farm and others (elderly neighbors).

The MS-461 is just too heavy for most of my cutting. I save it for the special big and hard cuts. I ended up putting it's 25" bar on my MS-362CM. Buried in ~40" of hardwood, even a weakling like me can kill it. If I take my time, it WILL cut full bar width just not quickly. For one or two trees a year like that, the MS-362CM is a reasonable choice. My MS-461 is out being ported as I type this and has a new 32" bar waiting for it to return. :chainsaw:

The MS-461 is NOT a firewood or homeowner saw unless you are cutting cookies for fun on the weekends. Heck, I find I use my Echo CS-361P for things that I really should be on the MS-362CM for. I'm probably going to end up with an MS-241CM or possibly 261 as I find the heavier saws are pretty hard on my body and I'm not getting any younger and healthier either. Plus, that M-tronic stuff from Stihl is very nice.
Get the 241C I have one and i like it better then any saw.

Well for small limbing and small trees the 241C for bucking I would go bigger but It is my go to saw.
That also explains why my 026 PRO saws do about 80% of all my cutting when it comes to firewood. Easy to pick up, lots of power, always starts, etc. But, I could cut big stuff with the 361 that the 026 PRO would have trouble with. So, the 361 is the keeper when all the rest die or get sold.

I'm not sure I understand the question. Are you going to sell your 460 and buy a 362? I think you'll end up losing money on that deal. If it were me, I'd keep the 460 and buy a Dolmar 421. You'll have an awesome felling/bucking saw, and a darned handy limbing/trimming saw. It's a great combo (and what i run). If I could only have one saw it'd be the 361 I sold, or maybe a Dolmar 6100. But if I already had a 460, I sure wouldn't be getting rid of it for a 362.

That also explains why my 026 PRO saws do about 80% of all my cutting when it comes to firewood. Easy to pick up, lots of power, always starts, etc. But, I could cut big stuff with the 361 that the 026 PRO would have trouble with. So, the 361 is the keeper when all the rest die or get sold.

Mr. Hackleman, good to see you on another wood related site...

I'm not sure I understand the question. Are you going to sell your 460 and buy a 362? I think you'll end up losing money on that deal. If it were me, I'd keep the 460 and buy a Dolmar 421. You'll have an awesome felling/bucking saw, and a darned handy limbing/trimming saw. It's a great combo (and what i run). If I could only have one saw it'd be the 361 I sold, or maybe a Dolmar 6100. But if I already had a 460, I sure wouldn't be getting rid of it for a 362.
No no no, I'm keeping the 460. I just don't want to use any longer than I have to (personal reasons).

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using Tapatalk

Latest posts

Back