Talk me into an ms362

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hey good to hear they are cutting down more hazard trees for ya!!!!!

I got a ms362, mine cuts all I ask it to with a 20" B&C..... Now I haven't run any other brand to compare to, but I would like to.... I wish I could run every brand in each cc class...now that would be fun!!!!

Ive had 45 saws ported since 2010. The most disappointing saw I have owned (without question) was the 362cm and 362cmr. Didn't like anything about them. Would never own another any longer than it took to sell it. Pick up a 262, 357 or 562, 2260, or 6100 and you will get a good grasp on what a 60cc saw is supposed to feel like. If I was stuck on Stihl, Id buy the 10mm 044 in the classifieds for $600 and have a saw that weighs near identical to the 362, won't feel as bulky in the hands, with way more power. The 362 missed the mark with the 60cc class.

The more I think on it, the more I'm leaning toward using the 460 another year or two and pick up a 261 this spring for smaller tasks and get a 461 at a later date. It was a thought passed on to me by another member here and the more I think about it, the more I like that idea

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using Tapatalk

I find it difficult to judge a saw in someone else's hands. Too many variables, including operator skill/technique and type and condition of the chain.

Ron
Agreed. I just watched a tree trimmer add a 20" bar to a 290 that can barely pull an 18" bar. I also watched the same group drop a good sized locust tree with a 170 after considerable effort. They should have used at l;east a 361 or 362 for that job. Many of them push their equipment to the limit and many cannot afford to buy the professional series saws, so they use the residential. As Stihl continues to jack up prices, this will continue.

Tree service friends of mine showed up last week to get some hazard to the ground with bucket truck/crane. They had two 362s. One sporting a 24" bar, the other a 32" :confused: I asked what in the world they were doing with that bar on that saw. Apparently they'd just mangled the clutch on the 441. To me it was a sad display with either bar. I politely offered to let them run my Makita 6401 to save them some time, but they declined. Then come to find out they just ordered three more 362s and two 441s. The boss used to be a Stihl dealer so has some long ingrained prejudice. I've never run a 362 or a 441 myself, but seeing the way their 362s cut I know I don't need to. If somebody were to gift me one, it'd be in the trading post and I wouldn't even waist my time putting fluids in it. That would fund my 7910 top end my Makita needs. Of course it was my first saw and I got it for $275 so I may be a little prejudice, but its a cuttin' machine! I've got a 034 Super and a 12mm 044 on the rebuild bench for when things slow down. I will test run them, but I already know they will have no home in my permanent line up which currently goes ms200t, 026, dcs6401, 394xp. I'm not brand prejudice, but performance/weight prejudice very much so. I'd like to squeeze a 064 in there some day, but that's just because it was the reigning power to weight king for so long before the 7900 came along

That 044 just might find a place in your line up. That's a saw that does a lot of things well. The 6401 might bump it out with the 7900 top end. But that 044 is popular for a reason too.

Ive had 45 saws ported since 2010. The most disappointing saw I have owned (without question) was the 362cm and 362cmr. Didn't like anything about them. Would never own another any longer than it took to sell it. Pick up a 262, 357 or 562, 2260, or 6100 and you will get a good grasp on what a 60cc saw is supposed to feel like. If I was stuck on Stihl, Id buy the 10mm 044 in the classifieds for $600 and have a saw that weighs near identical to the 362, won't feel as bulky in the hands, with way more power. The 362 missed the mark with the 60cc class.
Wow 45, I would love to hang out with you for a day!!!!!

Hey since you have had so many saws, what is your favorite 60 and 70cc saw as of right now....

Wow 45, I would love to hang out with you for a day!!!!!

Hey since you have had so many saws, what is your favorite 60 and 70cc saw as of right now....

favorite 60cc is a ported 357xpw that I have. favorite 70 would be either of my 2171s or a 10mm 044.

Attachments

• 071616 mastermind trip.jpg
    071616 mastermind trip.jpg
    178 KB · Views: 32
My 461 is a great saw, with gobs of power to spare. I find myself using the 290 about twice as often. There's just more smaller stuff around then there is massive trees close to the road. If I could do it all over again it would be the 461 and something like a ms241.

I believe it really comes down to what your cutting and if your going with a one saw or two saw plan.

I'm fortunate in that I have a 241, 362 and 461.

If I could only keep two it would be the 241 and 461 - (like Montana Resident said)

The 362 is a good saw, I've had no issues with mine. However, if you want to run a long bar through hard wood your much better off with a 461 - IMO.

Note, I started off with the 362 then found this site, CAD kicked in and I ended up acquiring the 241 and 461. I probably oughta sell the 362 as I don't use it that often and find that the 241 / 461 combo really works well for me.

The 461 is a bigger / heavier saw than the 362 but the 461 really rips through the wood and puts a smile on my face.

I've decided I'm going to go with getting a 261 this spring and wait another couple of seasons to get a 461 to retire the 460 I currently have. The 1 saw plan was either going to be way to hard on a back (strictly the 460/461) or somewhat underpowered for some of my cutting needs (strictly the 362).

I've decided I'm going to go with getting a 261 this spring and wait another couple of seasons to get a 461 to retire the 460 I currently have. The 1 saw plan was either going to be way to hard on a back (strictly the 460/461) or somewhat underpowered for some of my cutting needs (strictly the 362).

The 261 sounds like a good choice - its lighter than the 362 and good power.

I ran a friends 261 and liked it very much.

The 261 and 460 should work out well for you.

Latest posts

Back