Tall Birch

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BlackCoffin

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Took down some birch trees around the pond today. This one was the big one. Been competing 40 years with firs and cedars. She was a tall one! Ran a cable through a pulley off a massive cedar and pulled with a tractor. Tree would hit the neighbors house if it went the way it was leaning. Going to mill the bottom 6ft into boards.IMG_2737.JPGIMG_2740.JPG

Took down some birch trees around the pond today. This one was the big one. Been competing 40 years with firs and cedars. She was a tall one! Ran a cable through a pulley off a massive cedar and pulled with a tractor. Tree would hit the neighbors house if it went the way it was leaning. Going to mill the bottom 6ft into boards.View attachment 561936View attachment 561937
That's some beautiful scenery there!

Haven't had much luck with birch lumber. Out of several thousand cords of birch firewood I've cut, I've had maybe 5-6 cords of logs that would have been good saw logs.
The one in the pic, I'd probably firewood, too small for lumber. Maybe short 1x4s at best.

IIt needs to be straight, knot free and sniw white. Even still the lumber often twists when drying.

Don't mean to rain on your parade, just my experience.

It all went to firewood, I milled some live edge slabs from the base just to mess around and see what happens!

Haven't had much luck with birch lumber. Out of several thousand cords of birch firewood I've cut, I've had maybe 5-6 cords of logs that would have been good saw logs.
The one in the pic, I'd probably firewood, too small for lumber. Maybe short 1x4s at best.

IIt needs to be straight, knot free and sniw white. Even still the lumber often twists when drying.

Don't mean to rain on your parade, just my experience.

I've built two complete kitchens with birch, turned out very nicely and the owners are very pleased.

Attachments

• 100_5070.small.JPG
    100_5070.small.JPG
    217.7 KB · Views: 19
  • 100_5071.small.JPG
    100_5071.small.JPG
    240.4 KB · Views: 23
  • 100_4963.JPG
    100_4963.JPG
    1.8 MB · Views: 18
Small short pieces though. Looks mostly like 1by 4s and 6s, maybe 3ft at the longest?
all the logs were milled to 8' lengths. Other cabinets in the project were 7 feet tall, with stiles full height (difficult to photograph as they're in a long hallway). Also the longer lengths allowed matching of grain from one drawer front to the next

Back