Tanaka 3351 from Baileys

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well, I've been interested in seeing someone port a newer Tanaka, but when I looked at the eBay link I did not see the removable transfer covers on that engine. It appears that it is an ECS-3351 engine, while the saw you are likely getting is a TCS-3351. This is what the engine in the TCS-3351 should look like:
TCS-3351PFS_BD-pg2.png

Hope this saw ends up being decent. I would hate for people to buy something based on my thread that ends being crappy. It will be here Monday

Im sure baileys is closing out the ecs3351's to make way for the newer chinese models.it looks like tanaka may be going completely to china.it seems tanaka sales have been volatile over the years since I can remember.the local cycle shop sold tanaka several different times in the past even the local co-op sold them for a while but no more.the co-op still has a chinese version chainsaw but for $250 I think ill pass.

Ive been after one of the drills for ever.cant quite get my hands on one though.back in the early 80's dad bought a little curved shaft tanaka weedeater.we used it to trim around our house and the neighors houses.then my uncle used it with a skilsaw blade to cut several acres of tobacco.when we gave it away several years ago I put gas in it and it still started and ran like new after 3 pulls.
My tbc340 is the same way.I would actually make bets on it starting on the first pull any time.its now 7 years old and starting to look worn out buts been the most reliable piece of equipment I own.:rock:

Their polesaws and multi tool engines and attachments are pretty much second to none also. Over here they are very highly rated. Many council crews here have only Tanaka, Shindaiwa or Kawasaki equipment. Must say something about the reliability of the engines under constant use over a long period of time.

They also made great little outboard motors....

And bicycle engines! I had one on an old ten speed, mounted on the front forks, it was great. That was my idea of a real moped, equally pedal or motor or both. Dang spiffy hauling cargo and getting up hills. Ridiculous mileage, like 200 MPG or better.

Ok guys I got my ecs3351 yesterday.:D These are some sweet little saws.not the top handle model like I was looking for but for the price im not going to complain.:clap: I actually received the spare motor and muffler day before yesterday off of ebay and it wound up being new and never ran.being areed Iinduction motor it looks like the only porting that can be done is on the exhaust.the muffler is pretty much wide open already.looks like a base gasket delete is in order.:rock:

Post some pics! Ill try to get some this weekend. Mine came in on Monday and im quite happy with it so far. Biggest complaint is how the tiny the gas and oil caps are. Its so light it feels like a toy to me and I was hoping it wouldnt feel so "plasticy" but compared to the price and performance its minor. I do look forward to getting some more time with it.

Pictures on the way Shortly.Looks to be up to the same standards of the echo top handles with the same Plasticy feel.No problem here Plastic is Plastic to me they feel the same as the Huskys or stihl's any more.

True, it just caught me off guard for some reason lol. This saw is gonna be so handy though, I only cut up a little slab wood with so far. Maybe about one minute of use.

Ok guys I got my ecs3351 yesterday.:D These are some sweet little saws.not the top handle model like I was looking for but for the price im not going to complain.:clap: I actually received the spare motor and muffler day before yesterday off of ebay and it wound up being new and never ran.being areed Iinduction motor it looks like the only porting that can be done is on the exhaust.the muffler is pretty much wide open already.looks like a base gasket delete is in order.:rock:
Again, the engine you bought is not the same as is in the new saw you bought. The new saw is certainly not a reed valve engine.

Yeap it is :D its the japanese ecs not the chinese tcs.ive looked at the tcs series and probably wouldnt give more that $40 for one.

Back