Teach me everything you know about logging and forestry!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
How's this for an RB Auction:

nice camp! I see it's in peace river Alberta. Many of the Alberta camps have the same layout and furnishing. I don't remember one with a court though.
Some have a circular middle with the wings all attached, I stayed in one that was 7000 person in Fort McMurray
(Fort Mac) Its just like a big penitentiary except this time you have the keys.

bs or not, someone asks a question it should get the best answer possible, don't care who it is or their motives, personally I've been lied too or have had the truth hidden way to many times, I'd rather not pass that torch on down.
Unless you're helping the enemy. You're a good straightforward guy Matt and you've taken a lot of time to put good info on here and I applaud you for that. I was not trying to belittle your efforts. I just don't like seeing good people exert lots of energy over other people or things that don't return the favor or feel the same way. "She" still as yet has revealed no plot. Most stories can be summed up in a paragraph or two. What are her motivations? Why would she take a picture of herself in front of a closet to post as her avatar picture ( kind of a dumb question but why use such a dumb picture)? You and others have given a lot. Where is her contribution? Where is a synopsis of the plot? Would you give logs to a mill and not expect payment? This world is about give and take. You have to wonder about the ones that only take. I wouldn't give them much once I've figured it out.

Unless you're helping the enemy. You're a good straightforward guy Matt and you've taken a lot of time to put good info on here and I applaud you for that. I was not trying to belittle your efforts. I just don't like seeing good people exert lots of energy over other people or things that don't return the favor or feel the same way. "She" still as yet has revealed no plot. Most stories can be summed up in a paragraph or two. What are her motivations? Why would she take a picture of herself in front of a closet to post as her avatar picture ( kind of a dumb question but why use such a dumb picture)? You and others have given a lot. Where is her contribution? Where is a synopsis of the plot? Would you give logs to a mill and not expect payment? This world is about give and take. You have to wonder about the ones that only take. I wouldn't give them much once I've figured it out.
I get where u'r coming from, but I feel she's asked enough questions to give her the benefit of the doubt. Even if she is an iteration of gypo stirring the pot, I've enjoyed the thread greatly.
NM is being extremely generous with his time and knowledge (as you are on technique threads), but just consider how amazingly insightful he could be if she'd add a Sasquatch angle to the story! Preferably in a Scooby-Doo format.

add a Sasquatch angle to the story

See #40; grandson thinks he saw bigfoot down on Salmon Creek north of St. Helens.
I'm sure grandson would be agreeable to an on camera interview about his sighting - for a fee knowing him

I get where u'r coming from, but I feel she's asked enough questions to give her the benefit of the doubt. Even if she is an iteration of gypo stirring the pot, I've enjoyed the thread greatly.
NM is being extremely generous with his time and knowledge (as you are on technique threads), but just consider how amazingly insightful he could be if she'd add a Sasquatch angle to the story! Preferably in a Scooby-Doo format.

I think a grizzly or a lynx would be more appropriate. Those will be the two next "challenges" to add. Even though they promised years ago to not import grizzlies, the National Park Service has plans to do so in the North Cascades NP. The original plan was to provide habitat and hope the bears would move in but that wasn't happening fast enough for the NPS. A bear does migrate down once in a while and I suspect there are a few around but the egos in charge cannot believe that they cannot find them. The NPS also does not seem to realize that the bears most likely won't care where the park boundary is and might wander outside of the park.

The lynx? The Canadian Lynx is a bobcat type kitty that likes to eat snowshoe hares. The usual suspects have tried to get it listed in the past. Logging causes roads which are used by snowmobiles which scare the kitties and bunnies. Now they claim all the wildfires have made things tougher. I'm not sure about that one. Snowshoe hares like to munch on tree seedlings and there ought to be scads of little lodgepole pine seedlings popping up in the burn areas of NE Warshington.

I was thinking the same thing, but then remembered Bob was an old man in 1973. I bet he's only dirty and loud at work tho!

Mind your manners, youngster. It took me a long time to get this old...and I'm not through with the process quite yet. ;)

No worries mang.

I figure even if it is the enemy being friendly may make them think twice about bad mouthing loggers.

There was a chuck norris movie awhile ago.. it was horrible, he was some bs timber elf or some ****, the loggers where made out to be slobbering yocals with little or no morals or hygiene... that is what I hope to avoid

I think it is one for stop, two for getting it to the main corridor and three for full speed ahead, but then I get raise and lower mixed up because there was an argument on the landing about that and the two guys started blasting away on their talkie tooters and I didn't have earplugs and got that humming noise in my ears from the loudness of the whistle......3 shorts and two longs? Two shorts and three longs? I do not know, I do not care. Why don't you guys go over THERE?

I started a thread about whistles awhile back... if memory serves theres 3-4 different forms of whistle signals, all depending on location or type of machine...

high lead vs north bend vs shot gun vs motorized carriage each one is a little different
OK .. I'm about 50 mile off the Alaska pan falling for Chinese. It's dominantly Hemlock and Grand fir (White wood & Balsam) they need a solid log that you can't poke a key into on the cut for the export.
75% isn't good up in this 'country' here. They came up last night to fuel a machine and I said it's to bad that you don't have a market for the rest because some has a good collar of white wood that's clear lumber. Apparently they have a mill about 3 hours away and now says we can truck 'em. I'm guessing if it has a minimum of 6' collar then we cut to multiples of 8 & 10's. But if the trunk is 3 ft, is it worth it at a minimum collar?
I seem to know more than the contractor oddly enough, He must be more a 'Spruce & pine guy ' from the inside.

It's also quite obviously a complete fabricationAnd as others have suggested, this whole thread is at best BS

why would you say something like that? to agitate? I don't think his post is a complete fabrication... I do believe without a doubt... the family went on a camping trip, their trailer had a bearing freeze, weld up... and a friendly diesel mech... saved the day! not a doubt in my mind what his wife told their mom... is totally true! I believe it!...

and so should you! as you have no reason not to.

imo, deleting your post is only path to redemption...

fyi - u r already forgiven... :D

+1 , totally true story, been there, been helped like that -- similar, but was in the Ozarks and a good ol' boy soldered up pop's radiator on the '57 ford, but he did let us pay for the 20 cents for the solder. Have even helped others similarily after I done grown up* ! Must be Aussie's are not of the helpful sort, eh ?

sure do dislike agitators with the same first name and similar handle ?

* I carried a spare fuel pump in my '71 Datsun pickup when I used to drive the back roads near St. Helens. Guy stopped on a steep uphill in a Datsun, no fuel. Put my pump into his truck. Asked him to send me my cost for the pump when he got home - 'arthur' musta been a transplanted aussie, never heard from him !

Back