Tecnu poison ivy stuff

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NovaMan

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Dad was looking through the Bailey's catalog today, and pointed out the Tecnu preparations for use against poison ivy/oak. Does any of that stuff really work? Is it more than just calamine lotion?

Dad was looking through the Bailey's catalog today, and pointed out the Tecnu preparations for use against poison ivy/oak. Does any of that stuff really work? Is it more than just calamine lotion?

It does work. I rock climb in Arkansas, where poison ivy is like the state plant. Even if you wait till the blisters come up it helps a lot. It has helped me have zero symptoms when I traipse through that crap, many times. And I can get it really bad, too.

You can get it most anywhere.

NovaMan,

I see you're in my neck of the woods.

I tried Tecnu and it worked ok I guess. It was a free sample, I wont buy it for what they charge.

I have had better luck with spraying everything down with Ether, and washing everything in simple green before going in the washing machine, showering with dish soap, and treating any rash/blisters with the stuff the doc gives me.

The crew I usually hire to trim the Blueberrys swear by Baby oil, which is basicly mineral oil to clean up after pulling the crap outta my bushes.

Run a search over on the Firewood forum for tecnu.
There was a recent thread about poison Ivy and some good info passed along.

Stay safe!
Dingeryote

Yep best stuff on the market for poison oak, ivy, and Sumac. I got a hold of some of that stuff when I had a bad case of poison oak in all the wrong places. I would use it again and recommend it for treating these ferocious infections.

Thanks for the advice and the tip on the firewood/PI thread. Seems to me the best approach might be to expose a few small areas of oneself intentionally, and then see which treatment works best. So far I've been fortunate enough to avoid it, but it'd be good to know what works for ME should I happen to get it.

My arms itch...

it is expensive, but works for me.
It is not a 'cure' for after the fact, but a soap that removes the oil, so the sooner the better after exposure.
First time I ever got PI was about 6 yrs back, clearing out motorcycle sections with a weed whipper. had over 75% of my body.
At that time, $15 soap would have been no discussion. $150 soap I would have bought....
found out the technu stuff afterwards and use it ever since. I carry it in my vehicle first aid kits. seems to help.

Yes it is good stuff. I have used it a few times and I carry some with me out on fires in my gear. I honestly can't say that I know how much it costs, because I work for the government and I get it for free. I have to say that after ten days being out on a fire without showering it looses its affect after a few days of that.

If you do get it you should take a hot shower with liquid laundry detergent. The detergent gets rid of most of the oils. Then after you rince the soap off you should do the coldest water you can to close the pores. It works for me.

Good stuff. Take a shower with the hottest water you can stand. Then the coldest. Then again with the hottest. Then apply, rise with cold water. Kills the itch and does an OK job of drying it out.

Also Children's Benidry Spray for Poison Ivy. Great stuff for killing the itch. Years ago, hot summer, my crew and I (Wife included) had a project that we could only work at on Wednesdays. Total of 5 days to clear all the Cedars. Poison Ivy and Oak mixed threw it all. I very seldom get the stuff, but on this job, I was loaded. That Children's spray was a blessing.

Still talk about that job to this day, what made it so memerable...in the middle of the 5 weeks of hell, we had a wedding to attend. Three of us sat at a table with that bottle of spray between us. My wifes nylons were shredded before the wedding was over :)

Best cure of all, go for a swim in the Ocean. The salt water dries it out quickly and stops the itching.

Word of warning, many like me will talk about using starting fluid, gas, alcohol, etc. If you really get a rash from small exposures, never use our home brew cures, you'll spread it big time. Sorta like some people will dry it out from swimming in a pool with chlorine and others will spread it all over going for that same dip.

Best thing you can do, if you know you've been in it...get home wash those close by themselves (more than once or you'll regret it next time you put that sweatshirt on) and take the hottest shower you can stand.

I get poison ivy in a bad way. Usually keep it somewhere on my person April-November. Tecnu is the BEST OTC stuff I have found. It hasn't really worked for protection against, but once I get it I scrub down with it and it dries up quicker. A few years ago I tried the stuff from Forestry Supp. that you mix with water. Supposed to drink for 3 weeks before you know you are going to get in it, then keep drinking a glass everyday. Tasted like rubbing alcohol.....did not work.

I have tried everything: caladryl, rulah gel, oatmeal, bleach, alum, unleaded gas, diesel, and carburetor cleaner, and fire.....yes I'm serious....Usually wear it till it sets up camp in man land, then I go to the doctor for some steroid pills. It sucks to be me, a chainsaw in the blood type of guy, who can't play in the woods without being miserable because of poison ivy.

My folks neighbor when I was a kid was a logger. He bet a guy $100 he couldn't get poison ivy. Took his shirt off rubbed it all over, under his arms, face, back.....never got it. Like my cousin and Uncle.....they can eat the stuff and it does nothing. :chainsaw:

Technu works out here for poison Oak, which is about the same as ivy. Basically it takes the plants oil off your skin b4 you have a reaction.

A better, and much cheaper option for me is a bar of Fels Naptha soap. They sell it in the supermarket with laundry soap for a buck or two. I used to get poison oak all the time but now as soon as I know I've been in contact with it, when I get home, I put my clothes in the corner for a week b4 touching them again and take a shower with Fels Naptha. Its strong soap and dries you out a bit, but it works everytime.
Here's a link

Back