Tecumseh ah47 unknown ignition part?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

astnmacgto

Carnac The Magnificent
Reaction score
Working on a mono with an ah47 on it for a power head, restoring spark and noticed something peculiar. This piece on the outside of the coil housing with the wire attached to it, it has a plunger of some type on it

20170222_193931.jpg 20170222_193951.jpg

that plunger rides on this plastic ring on the inside of the flywheel

20170222_193941.jpg

the plastic ring is connected to two T shaped arms that run through the flywheel, they are spring loaded for some reason. 20170222_193946.jpg

Anybody know what it is for?

May be some type of RPM limiter or Governor to keep it from running away--overspeed-David---Very intresting--Looks like it grounds the points out using ceuntrifical force--Makes me think about a governor on a mechanical fuel injection pump--diesel
That's a good possibility, only thing is, not sure how it would operate?

Looks like the spring loaded weights push the disc downward at a certain speed, but it is hard to tell from here.
That's why I thought too at first but the only direction for the T shaped bars to go is up away from the crank and then outward toward the od of the flywheel, and when the T bars move it actually pulls the plastic piece away from the plunger rather than push it down

Old Cat mechanic --I have some old sears gear reduction with that engine-but all had spark--wonder if this is common setup--could be rare proto type designed by Smokey Yunic himself--Ohhhhh lets keep this amongst ourselves--$$$ I think I have enough already to retire on!!:innocent::drinkingcoffee:-David--Thanks for the pics Ray

Went back and slowly read the whole governor operation and adjustment--Pretty cool designs--LOTS to tick around with--Right down my alley-love the Cat mechanical goverened fuel injection pumps-built -repaired-troubleshooted them many years . Theory of operation simalar on governors--David--can answer help with Cat problems-just ask

Back