Tell us about your weather

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Spotted Owl

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
Started walking at 4:30 this morning. Clear and coooold. About half way to where I needed to go in came the wind and clouds. Then we started the wonderful cycle of rain, freezing rain, hail, snow and sleet. It was supposed to be a quick retrieve mission for a pack I left up on the hill so I didn't take anything other than what I wore on my back. Glad I wore my corks, they was helpful for the nice layer of ice. Got back down to the house, soaked and freezing. I wished I had started the stove before I left. Skipped the stove and went strait for the shower instead.

We are running from a good dust of snow under a layer if ice, to not a cloud in the shy sunshine, and everything in between. Changing just as fast as you can think to one or another or a couple at the same time.

Made it down with the boat to give it the hairy eyeball, hoping for good enough to get out and wet a line. 8' and building surf said no way. So the kids and me are taking a rare day and sitting on our butts, wood stove purring nicely, watching some John Wayne. I really enjoy time like this with them kiddos.

Man I love the conditions in the Great Pacific NorthWest.

What's happening in your part of the world?

Owl

It's sunny right now, but I had light rain an snow earlier, too. Not quite cold enough for ice, SW of Mt. St. Helens.

Makes for a great day to sling drywall mud, working on the unfinished basement. Added a bedroom, it is a long term project. I should hang some Christmas lights before it snows again.

It's been a weird winter here. Typically we'd have a couple feet of snow by now. Up until the other day we had none. It's lightly snowing right now and there is roughly 1" on the ground. Temps have been really mild. -20F this time of year is common. It's only dropped to -1F once this year.

around a foot of settled snow on the ground, temps averaging around 10 to 15 F. Had a little cold spell the other day and froze a pipe in my house. must have been -15 or more.

Winter is here! 6 inches of snow today with the wind chill in the -20's.

Woke up to snow and it snowed all morning, but didn't stick. I live at 1000 feet. I drove out to a gathering with friends and they live at 1500 feet and had about 3 inches of snow. The day cleared up and got a little windy. As soon as the sun dropped, things like pickup doors froze and I was dreading the drive home. It didn't seem bad but I kept the speed very slow on the downgrade curvy part of the county road. They don't sand it on weekends. Got home OK and it is 24 and clear and I'm too lazy to build a fire so have the electric going.

9 above with nnw winds cooling it down to a -12 wind chill, yesterday was 33* above with full sun an warm spring breeze. the north land is showing her other side with a vengeance for the next two days . 10 day W.C. forecast says above norm. temps following the short chill down(25*-30*)... works for the ice fishing season due to start for me mid week! bring on the cold!

Good morning.

Out busting water this morning. Got everyone fed and happy for now. A quick loop for a morning walk.

It's a bit chilly out there today. 18* this morning. Nice a clear, the moisture is fading so the cold isn't that cold this morning.

One of the strays showed up last night, didn't call first and got met half way through the door, him and his dog, looking down the pipe of a cut down 12ga. I think he won't forget to call next time. The boy's been out of school for 3 years now and the football strays are still around regularly. His pup walked with us this morning. Ms. P was right about used dogs. Got us a used Bernard, she settled right in like she was here since a pup.

Neither of the dogs really wanted to go out in the cold this morning. Right now both are sleeping in front of the stove.

Get up you wood rats, the days half over already. Get up and attack the rest of it.

Owl

I did get up. Just had to get the woodstove roaring, find warm clothes, and get coffee made. Hmmmf.:p I'll be cranky today from lack of sleep.

My thermometer says 23 outside, 52 inside and I cheated and turned on the heaters to help a little. I threw on an extra blanket last night. No frozen pipes, and I'm hunkering by the woodstove with coffee. The house will take a while to warm up because I didn't stoke up the stove before leaving it early yesterday afternoon. I'll go out and bring in a couple armloads of Doug fir, which I saved for the cold weather. Maple is good too.

The previous cold snap was easier. We'd had dry weather beforehand so things didn't freeze shut. I had to yank hard on the door of the Tomato last night to get in. We've had several days of rain before this cold hit.

Heat stove, heat!

Yes ma'am, indeed. The rain sure made this a different round. Now I hear tell of freezing rain come tomorrow morning. That should be fun. I have a rubber dipped pry bar in the back of the truck to pop the doors open in the morning. Came up with that idea last winter when I snapped the door handle trying to open by pulling harder, no scratches yet.

Give Ben a big hug, that'll take the grump outta ya. Is he doing well? I think ours are spoiled. They sleep by the stove, have no hair in their arm pits and don't like the cold much. A poor excuse for Bernards. Don't know if you remember Dozer but he didn't want to come in when it was cold, he'd sleep out side and get covered snow and loved it. Didn't much care for the cold rain though. These new dogs are a bit different, daughter has taken extra special care of them.

Ya know, as a retiree, I hear of a job perk. Something called a snooze. Might look into that a bit later. I hear that they are a great thing from time to time.

Have a great day.

Owl

The Used Dog turns 9 in December. He's slowed down and arthritic. He no longer can keep up with me on walks. We're dealing with it. He takes a pill every morning. He can still be trusted around little kids and babies and he is now barking to come back indoors. I am going to be looking for a puppy for him to train in the Spring.

A sunrise this morning. The moon was extremely bright last night and I kept thinking somebody was behind me last night while I was driving a stretch of road that is a causeway during high water. I think we are in the "might" get freezing rain tomorrow. Somewhere around the edge. I park the pickup close to the house and can run a hair dryer out if it is frozen up hard.

18 and overcast, still have about 3" of snow... hope my saws aren't frozen to the crummy...

This is silly, but the wind was blowing here when I left yesterday. I was going to be out where trees often blow over onto the county road. I didn't want to mess with a chainsaw so threw in my human powered saws. I didn't need either.

I'll be taking a different truck to go yule tree hunting, only hand powered saws around here are full size misery whips... a little overkill for a yule tree, but then so is a 461:rolleyes:

well there is a hacksaw but someone broke all the blades for it...

-22c at my cabin,, its a 750 meters, have lots of bone dry fir I have been cutting last few years testing all my new to me saws and some others. Wood stove going full tilt, not a cloud in in the sky. Mist coming off the lake.
We have 6-8 inches of very frozen snow, my truck was jumping as I was 4x4 into my driveway, snow almost supports my truck!!!!
Got a hot coffee ,,,,
You all keep warm!!
BBB

been out skrewin around , made up some fir candles, worked on a couple saws and did some chain grinding. scott, went by the homestead yesterday so i was in the weather you were describing . you get some more road units this year?

Yup. Now that hunt'n is done for the year and surf conditions say no fishing. We'll drive up in there this afternoon and look things over. Then get with the new BLM guy and get the paper work done. There seems to always be a new guy working this area. Did anything jump out at ya, or look good while you was up there?

On a side note. How do you know you've nothing to do? When you have the last 4 or 5 spots at the top of the board, that's how.

Owl

Back