The best 2 cycle chainsaw oil

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Didn't see if it had been stated yet or not, but I like Amsoil Saber.

I've run it at 50:1 for years, 100:1 for months 80:1 for months and now back to 50:1. All of the saws in my below sig have been run like that and some have been tore back down and inspected and they are some of the cleaned, nicest pistons and cylinders that he has seen inside. The one ported 441 has been logging for 3 years until it was crushed and now its piston and cylinder are on another saw, still going strong.

I don't run it at the 100:1 anymore, but if I don't have enough to make the exact 50:1 it might be 70:1 or 67:1 or something and I just run it like that. Never had any problems with it, plus it makes the gas a very obvious BLUE in color so you know that it is mixed. At 50:1 if you run the saw and then take the muffler off and look at the piston it looks like a Smurf exploded inside it, the piston will be covered in blue oil. That is a nice feeling to see that.

I am not advocating running any 2 stroke at 100:1, but at least with the Amsoil Saber you can and it won't lock your saw up. Not sure how many other manufacturers could or would allow that or recommend that.

My opinion and experience,

Sam

I am looking for opinions on what would be the top quality oil. I am looking for a clean burn pluse lubricity?thanks

I have been using Klotz 2 cycle racing oil for years and years. Now when I am selling one of the larger logging saws on eBay (like now), I include a quart with the sale. It is a nice introduction to an oil most may never experience with saws.

Started running Sabre 50:1 back in the 70's in all my 2-strokes. Ran Ultra for awhile, but didn't like the smell or the cost, so went back to the Sabre.

Started running Sabre 50:1 back in the 70's in all my 2-strokes. Ran Ultra for awhile, but didn't like the smell or the cost, so went back to the Sabre.

I know what you mean. Recently I got behind in ordering my Amsoil Saber due to using 6+ gallons of mix gas per day, 7 days per weeks for weeks, and had to use some Husky Mix oil .................. well, that was a bad experience. I have never cared where the ports were on the mufflers, or where my face was located in relation to the saw and the prevailing wind .......... needless to say, I soon learned. That stuff stinks, bad and burns my eyes. I never knew how good the Saber was for so long due to never having used much else.

I don't see how people use other oil, it stinks and burns the eyes to the point of taking the fun out of the deal.

If Amsoil says that 100:1 is okay, and I run it at 50:1 and it leaves a very thick film of blue oil on the piston, I'm not sure how much more protection one would need?!

Sure 32:1 does provide additional protection, but then so does 24:1 or worse, at some point I have to figure there is a point of worthless return. After having some of the older saws torn down and checked after severe use, I'd say that the Amsoil is doing just fine at 50:1ish.

Amsoil shows up at my doorstep for $8.70 per quart, I think that is pretty good oil at a pretty good price.

My opinion,

Sam

I think

:deadhorse::deadhorse::deadhorse::deadhorse::deadhorse::deadhorse:

but thats just me.

What ever oil you use run it at 40:1 or 32:1

With Ethanol content on the rise, I'm betting some oil manufacture are going to tweak their formulations so they mix better with ethanol, as I know some oils don't like more than 10%

Ive been using Lucas semi-synthetic as thats all i can geet locally...kinda smokey but other than that no issues...saw runs good and produces good power. I normally prefer amzoil saber,,but havent seen a dealer lately

Those damn Smurfs molest everything...

I had to remove the spark arrestors because their pants and shirts were getting caught in the screens and plugging the mufflers, LOL.

I try to not listen to the screams anymore, LOL.

Sam

Back